Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Tree

Options
  • 11-12-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice please. I bought an artificial Christmas Tree last year from a well-known DIY chain in Dublin. It was after Christmas so the tree was on sale and cheaper than normal (as would be expected). I brought it home, put it into the attic and thought no more of it until yesterday when I went to put it up. It was at this stage I noticed that there are several branches missing off it (there’s a central stem that you hang 9 layers of branches – the top 2 layers are missing). I tried moving the other layers up & down to compensate but it just looks odd.

Rang the store in question & was told that the line is now discontinued, but, as I can’t find the receipt to bring the tree in & “they’ll see what they can do for me”. I searched last night but can’t find the receipt anywhere. However I found other receipts from the same retail park so I know I can narrow it down to a specific date, even a rough time.

Where do I stand refund/replacement-wise as it was faulty goods sold to me? As it was on sale (I think) it was approx half-price of what you would pay before Christmas – are the store obliged to offer me anything or even deal with me as I don’t have a receipt? (The packaging is own store branded so I definitely bought it from them) I’m planning on going in this evening so any help would be appreciated……..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

TBH I wouldn't say you have much rights in this case, you should have checked the tree when you got it home; yes I would have prob just thrown it in the attic without checking it either.

But the first question you are going to be asked is why you didn't bring it back straight away- then again maybe you'll be lucky and get it swapped out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I am afraid to say without the reciept, you have no rights in effect. You need to prove you purchased the good from the retailer, and the onus is completely on you. Now most retail outlets will have some form of customer service with which you may recieve an exchange, but be aware they are under no obligation. I must point out other reciepts/ a companies box dont prove you purchased it there, either. Its an awful sucky situation to be in though, I know I wouldnt of checked either!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Thanks for the replies folks.

I brought it back last night & they changed it to a new tree, with no extra charge (even though there was a €25 price difference). I think the fact that another person had been on that morning with the exact same problem might have helped.

But kudos to Woodies anyway, thier customer service was exemplary on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

squrm wrote:
    I brought it back last night & they changed it to a new tree, with no extra charge (even though there was a €25 price difference). But kudos to Woodies anyway, thier customer service was exemplary on this one!

Nice to hear of good service above the minimum required. I bought a cooker from Brown Thomas a few of years ago, in the sale, and with one thing after another it was nearly a year before the kitchen was ready and I opened the box to find it defective and unuseable. Brown Thomas went out of their way to source a replacement for a by then out-of-production model. Thanks, BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

BT sells cookers??!! You learn something new everyday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Don't think they do anymore....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

haz wrote:
    Nice to hear of good service above the minimum required. I bought a cooker from Brown Thomas a few of years ago, in the sale, and with one thing after another it was nearly a year before the kitchen was ready and I opened the box to find it defective and unuseable. Brown Thomas went out of their way to source a replacement for a by then out-of-production model. Thanks, BT.

Have to second that - BT arranged for the repair of our couch when it failed after 5 years. Even more impressive was the fact that at that stage BT themselves no longer sold couches but just supplied shop space...

Advertisement