Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Critical Readings

Options
  • 11-12-2006 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Doing my essay now on Child narration between Jane Eyre and To Kill A Mockingbird... I actually haven't a clue what to write. Anyone do this and have any advice on it? I'm at a complete mental block :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Lecture/tutorial notes and reading lists tbh.

Oh, and not being on boards would probably help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I've read both but I can't say I've considered the child narrator too much. You could probably talk about how Scout as a narrator is directed by Attacus who basically offers his kids lots of advice on right and wrong etc., which the child Jane has to come up with her own moral code because she lacks a parental figure. The differences is narrating a childhood of fear and a childhood of happiness and how this comes through. At the end of the day, books are written by an adult through a child- does this become obvious at any point through some sort of discrepancy between the presumed mentality of a youth and the things they seem to know in spite of this? Hint, I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't. Does a child narrator then make it an unreliable narrator because they do not understand the things they record, or in fact does their innocence and lack of need to hide their thoughts on anything and such, mean that they but forward a pure representation of the facts?

That's just what occured to me off the top of my head, maybe I'm too late...and then again maybe none of it is helpful anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The lecture notes weren't much and I had lost my tutorial notes. Left them in the library. Much raping and reading of the internets though have helped me and I am completely essay done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I want to *strangle* you... I've to go look at my summative now to see what tripe I planned to write my essay on.... ARGH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

...formative? The essay itself is the summative.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats the one...
    And it still ain't started!
    I'm a sad case...

Ah well, two weeks late then it is :D What's 20% among friends :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

jimi_t wrote:
    What's 20% among friends :rolleyes:
    The difference between a pass and a fail.animal_rooster.gif

The difference between a pass and a fail.animal_rooster.gif

Ah well like... With 20% + 15% odd from the tutorials... That leaves me 65% to play with. Should get a 40% with some luck - and then who'll be laughing!

By the by, did you ever find out if you were allowed be in 1st Eng or are you just going with it and hoping?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

jimi_t wrote:
    By the by, did you ever find out if you were allowed be in 1st Eng or are you just going with it and hoping?
    Amazingly, I am allowed take first year electives.
    I was talking to some economics lecturers, and they said that in most European countries, GPA starts from first year anyway.

Advertisement