Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet rats

Options
  • 11-12-2006 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Sorry but is this possible... How can someone have a pet rat..
    Yea ok they might be clean etc etc but what if they come in contact with an non domesticated rat...
    My friend says to me that pets are the cleanest animal out there.... apparently they can carry ove 30 different diseases harmful to humas.your thoughts please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Lots of people have pet Rats, my girlfriend had several in fact. Apparently, they're very very clever, and very domesticated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Well looked after rats make better (often cleaner!) pets than most small animals!
    When I was much younger and had a pair, they often slept in my jacket pocket most of the day inside and out!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Scarily enough all pets carry zoonotic dieseses! Pregnant hamsters & mice can cause pregnant woman to miscarry etc etc etc.

Pet rats are selectivly bred so the risks are very minimal - golden rule with all pets is to wash your hands after handling them. Rats make FAB pets! they are clean, clever & great fun! One of my old rats Lucy used to travel on my brothers shoulder, go in the car & come & collect me from work! She was the best pet!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

We had all sorts of animals as pets when I was a kid, including a few rats, they are really clean (depending on the owners of course) quite friendly and highly intelligent. Why would a pet rat come into contact with a wild one if it were kept safe in a cage???

Advertisement