Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS problem

Options
  • 11-12-2006 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Having a bit of a problem with the abs on my mk4 Golf. All day yesterday, the abs would kick in any time i leaned relatively heavily on the brakes, ie...slowing down to go over speed bumps, stopping at traffic lights etc...quite worrying really. Also the ABS warning light flashed up for a minute or two on my dash before disappearing. I recently got new front brake pads (less than 500 miles ago) if that makes any difference. This is the first time this has happened. Anyone know whats causing this/any way of sorting it out?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

L5 wrote:
    the abs would kick in any time i leaned relatively heavily on the brakes

That's what's supposed to happen. I'd be worried about the ABS light flashing though - you'd better rtfm. The owner's manual should tell you what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

That's what's supposed to happen. I'd be worried about the ABS light flashing though - you'd better rtfm. The owner's manual should tell you what it means.

No, it's happening on only moderate braking. It should only come on where you literally slam on the brakes. It's coming on almost every time I press the brakes now....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get it checked out - it could be a wheel sensor problem - it's going to be very annoying if it happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Would you say the problem occurs when you are driving slowly - or at any speed when you depress the pedal ?

I had a problem with a Primera where at speeds below say 20mph whenever you pressed the brake pedal you got the ABS effect, after taking it to two nissan garages both tested wiring/sensors, but because no fault was on the engine management system, and the wiring/sensors were all clear they couldn't tell exactly what the problem was bar replacing the abs unit (€1000-€2000) not fun on a 5 yr old car.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Low brake fluid perhaps.....sounds to me like your pads/discs are worn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Yes, people here on Boards will fix your abs for you.:rolleyes:

Go back to your garage where qualified experts will fix your safety problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

check your tyres as well - they might be sh@gged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The weather recently was quite wet, so if the ABS are kicking in when you don't expect them to, then maybe your tyres are beyond the end of their life. Check them first. And even if they have thread, then if they're a crappy make, they may still not grip. If you can definately rule out your tyres, then get the sensors checked. ABS light shouldn't come on though.

Advertisement