Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Generic Thread #10: Which Distro for Linux as Windows Domain Server & x32 or x64?

• 11-12-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

No doubt this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything suitable.

I'm dragging my Dad's office (3 PC users) into the modern times and giving him a nice little server to keep all his files centralised, recoverable and backed up. The three users will be running on Win XP Pro.

I could install a Windows-based server with my eyes closed, but because of the no. of users, the cost of the windows licence, and the fact that I can experiment because I'm doing it for free, I'd love the experience of inserting a Linux machine running Samba as a domain controller, file server and print server.
    I have a little experience of Linux, but not a lot - I've installed plenty of distros, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I got bored without my windows comfort zone :). I'm leaning towards Ubuntu or Fedora Core for the purposes. Anyone have any objections/recommendations?

Aside from this, the server I'm building is a Athlon X2 Dual Core machine. The answer to this is probably obvious, but am I better off installing a 64-bit release or a 32-bit release?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Seamus,

Slightly off-topic. But for a small office environment like that, your dad should invest in MAPS (Microsoft Action Pack Subscription).

That'll give him all he needs for around 350 euro a year, if you look into what he gets its not a lot at all. Defo beats the price of buying anything.

Other than that, I've found ubuntu works well in a 2003/XP environment and use it on all the desktops in the Engineering dept in Blacknight. :-)

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I found SuSE to be increadibly easy to set up as a server. Using YaST, it took me about 10 mins to set up Apache and Samba as a domain controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers guys. I gave ubuntu a test run on VMWare here in work today, helped along by a guide (http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10) and it seems pretty smooth and straightforward.

But doesn't it always...? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

clarkconnect?

Lightweight, easy to configure. You can buy proferssional support too.

Advertisement