Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Humans needed less sleap

Options
  • 11-12-2006 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

If you only needed to sleep twice every six days for 8 hours or once every 3 days.
    Would you use the extra time to do more things with your life or just watch more TV shows....
    Or would you sleep anyway even tho you don't need to? just sleep because your bored or like sleeping

TBH i could see myself sleeping from drink exhaustion quite a bit but life would be VERY different, even simple things like show opening hours and especially the TV schedule would be very different.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

If we had that much extra time, we'd probably have to do a lot more work *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

welll ye i suppose since you would have more free time u need money to spend in your extra free time so you would probbley work more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 sparkicks1

theres some sort of tablet that you can take that "aparently" has very few side effects that does just that (not sure how many days) but its like 3 or 4 and then you sleep for like 8 hours and can then do it all again... although when i looked it up on wikipedia the side effects were very bad with most of the people taking it (like 80%) getting at least headaches and nausea...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If there was such a "tablet" it would more than likely have side effects. Sleep is natural and needed. I only wish I could get more of it rather than less. If I didn't need more sleep, what would I do? I already read a lot and play a lot after work, and I wouldn't add to my work or take a second pt-job. I guess I could bug my SO more and drive them over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Whether such a pill has any chemical side effects is irrelevant to the fact that not having sleep is very unhealthy. No pill can replicate a period of innactivity for your body to repair and process.

I'd play more computer games and probably photography. During end-of-term madness I'd get projects done a little sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If there was such a "tablet" it would more than likely have side effects.

All drugs have side effects. It is generally if the side effects don't offset the problem then its an ok drug.

There is an antisleep drug that is currently used by the US military. They are called "Zombies" (Modafinil). 600 mg of modafinil given in three doses can keep a person awake for 88 hours with only 8 hours of sleep required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 veryfunnypants

And it works amazingly well ;-) confirmed ! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

MOD: Ancient thread. I'll allow it. But don't give med advice. Post away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

If we had that much extra time, we'd probably have to do a lot more work *shudder*

Guaranteed. Man, that would be sucky. However, if we no longer needed sleep, would we be fatigued by so much work? Very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Guaranteed. Man, that would be sucky. However, if we no longer needed sleep, would we be fatigued by so much work? Very interesting.

If you sleep for around 8 hours a night (I know not everyone gets that), you spend about a third of your life sleeping!

I suppose sleep is a part of life and not just physically, your mind needs that rest too. Maybe dreams help you in some way to release and allow you to express your subconscious mind without making a conscious effort and even when dreams are bad, it can still be good for you in some way, I guess.

But if like in the op, we biologically needed less sleep, I think things would be the same. We would just work longer hours and spend more time doing the things that we normally do anyway. Of course , my house would be super clean and organised. I might even consider ironing the socks...well, maybe not. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

Lorelli! wrote: »
    If you sleep for around 8 hours a night (I know not everyone gets that), you spend about a third of your life sleeping!

I suppose sleep is a part of life and not just physically, your mind needs that rest too. Maybe dreams help you in some way to release and allow you to express your subconscious mind without making a conscious effort and even when dreams are bad, it can still be good for you in some way, I guess.

But if like in the op, we biologically needed less sleep, I think things would be the same. We would just work longer hours and spend more time doing the things that we normally do anyway. Of course , my house would be super clean and organised. I might even consider ironing the socks...well, maybe not. :)

Sleep is medicine-get some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

PREG1967 wrote: »
    Sleep is medicine-get some

Oh ye, my sleep isn't too bad at all. I only really stay up late at the wkends :) I do find that it takes me a long time to fall into a deep sleep though. I'm only early thirties but my mam was telling me that as she has got older that she seems to require less sleep and it's harder for her to get a "full nights sleep". On the bright side, for her, she says that it doesn't make her tired, she just seems to need less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It would be great though if our working hours weren't increased at all in this scenario though. It'd give so much more time for hobbies and relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I'd still sleep as much as I could tbh. I didn't get into LDing to be awake more.

I would spend a bit more of the time on hobbies or working to earn more money but mainly I'd still be asleep.

Advertisement