Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing herbal plants

• 11-12-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

had a funny conversation with the lads this weekend...

We were discussing the ramifications of growing weed in your house...

Is it ever acceptable?

Does it depend how much you grow?

Does it depend on what you do with the end product?

My opinion (and i dont smoke) is that i wouldnt think much of it - unless it became a business!

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You can be charged with the care and cultivation of the plant which is illegal.
    So is the care and cultivation of St John's Wort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Legally never acceptable.
    The amount you grow and what you do with it will affect the sentencing if any.

It would depend on the judge, say you have 1oz of weed or a plant with 1oz on it. One could say you are deliberate in growing and sentence more, or it could be seen see that you were avoiding criminal association by growing, and if you had bought it you were funding criminals. If you had cancer you could get off lighter, there are people who send out free cannabis to cancer patients worldwide. There are also mushroom growers who send free mushrooms to people suffering from clusterheadaches.

There was a guy in the UK who was growing weed supplying patients, but also had a coffee shop. The arrangement he had was that if he was busted all his "patients" would turn up in court and they would have to prosecute the whole lot.

In several countries you can legally grow in your house, usually restricted to a few plants, but in the sames country it is usually illegal to trade in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thaedydal wrote:
    So is the care and cultivation of St John's Wort.
    :eek: Why? My aunt who lives up North swears by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Still legal up the north. It was made illegal here a few years back, ridiculous laws outlawing nature. If your aunt was here she would have to pay for visits to a doctor to get a prescription for it. money making racket IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

afaik if you get caught growing your own, the whole plant is weighed, soil & all, giving the Guards a much bigger "haul" & a much more serious charge.

then it depends on your Judge/solicitor.

I stand to be corrected though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

:eek: Why? My aunt who lives up North swears by this.

Like any herbal remedy that works too well and people use it instead of paying through the nose for a dr and a chemical copy of the remedy from a chemist
    the dr and the pharmacolists called for it to regulated and it became a controled subtance the same as liberty cap mushrooms.

If you have any controled substances grown on your land or in your garden you can be prosected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

afaik if you get caught growing your own, the whole plant is weighed, soil & all, giving the Guards a much bigger "haul" & a much more serious charge.

Someone planted cannabis seeds in the public flower displays down the centre of Magdalene Street and High Street in Glastonbury so that the plants would be watered, nurtured and tended at public expense:
    Village employees unknowingly watered pot plants while the town's civic leaders scrutinized High Street shops eligible to win the coveted "Glastonbury In Bloom" floral display competition. Impressed by Rob's storefront, they awarded him a major prize. After the awards ceremony, he told stunned officials that they had awarded Cannabis for cannabis.

"When he first told us, my initial thought was 'Oh ****!'" said Deputy Mayor Allan Gloak.
    http://cannabisculture.com/articles/1528.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

How did I miss this.

Yes it is illegal to grow plant's but it all depends.

You see you grow cannabis plant's for a certain time then you have to switch the timing on it to 12 hour's that's what you call flowering your plant.

The female's have bud's and the male isn't really any good.

Anyways there was a guy caught with about 14 plants (that's a good bit of smoke) and the judge threw the case out. His reason was because they were only plants :eek: and because the plants had not been flowered he said he was growing them for fun.

On the other hand if you were growing plant's and they found scales, baggies, cutting machine for the plant's then you are fuuccckkkeeeedd cannabis IMO harmless drug but is in fact class A. And if that was on paper they would say a cannabis cultivator was caught and could grow 30 Kilo's or whatever they do exsagerate a good bit.

Although if caught with one or two plant's just say it's personal use you will get probation.

Hard work to grow them dont think you just plant them and that's it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Almost makes me wanna go Johnny Appleseed all across Carlow :D what a wonderful idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

Overheal wrote:
    Almost makes me wanna go Johnny Appleseed all across Carlow :D what a wonderful idea...

There are varieties (including wild hemp, sativa spontanea) that would readily produce recognisable foliage with no "medicinal" value, with no need for complex maintenance - it would probably grow from scattered wild seed, even in the Irish climate near a south facing wall sheltered from wind. I doubt it would thrive or reseed, but it would be identifiable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 DrFunkenstein

You should go 'johnny appleseed' all over your area, why not, its insane to put laws on the cultivation of a plant, weather its St. Johns Wort, Hemp (non drug form) or the real deal Sativa or Indica forms. Most forms of 'Dope' wouldnt fulfil its life cycle outdoors in ireland so it would be harmless, Growing indoors would be a great way to stop funding criminal activity, and would be a time consuming hobby, although fairly wastefull on the oul ESB bill. but would still end up cheaper than going to REAL criminals for your supply. if it was legal, there would be better education and it would be more understood by the youth, so they could make a more informed decision than the current generation, also, no risk of contaminating your own homegrown with all the **** that is passed as 'hash' or 'weed' in this country which is a direct result of prohibition.

Lil off topic there, of course it shouldnt matter what a person grows on their land. I reckon you would get away with growing a coca plant in your front garden or greenhouse quicker than harmless oul hemp.

Peace \/m

Advertisement