Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling cracks and how to get rid

Options
  • 11-12-2006 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi folks,

bought an old house/bungalow earlier this year, built around 1978 apparently. All of the ceilings had cracks of various sizes running with the ceiling boards. During the summer I cleaned out all of the cracks whether they were hairline or 3mm wide. I used painters mate from a tube to fill, sanded and painted a couple of times. All looked really well when they were finished.
    Now, following the temperature fluctuations during the Autumn all of the hairline cracks have returned, but the larger craters are fine. What more can I do with these hairline cracks. I have the Xmas holidays to sort it out. any ideas?

Dairbhre

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have used no sanding Polyfilla a couple of years back for the hairline roof cracks and it worked a treat. Link . You should be able to get it in any hardware store for about €8 or so. Its really easy to apply as opposed to regular filler and if you have a good filling knife you may not even need to sand at all. If the roof is white then you won't even notice where you have filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Best method I have used in past is like what you did at start,root out the cracks with a scraper or screwdriver(you have to make it worse to make it better). Mix up some polybond and brush some of it on cracks.Then I find out where joists are(Sort of hit and miss game) near the cracks and I use dry wall screws. Screw up ceiling as slab nails might have failed over the years.

I then use some scrim tape and run tape down crack making sure the crack is in middle of tape. I then use polyfiller and spread it over scrim tape,use a wet bush to smooth of polyfiller as it will always need another filling to eliminate the tape.Remember to sand down before putting the final layer of polyfiller on. There are other products out there that are ready made up in a bucket especially for doing dry lining which would be just as good.

So when all is dry sand down lightly and paint away. I wouldnt use the painters caulk as its impossible to sand plus it is only meant to be used on small gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dairbhre

Thanks guys,

Mad m, does this method result in a build up of layers on the ceiling? Will I end up with ridges running along my ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well you shouldnt really because tape scrim tape is very fine and it depends on your filling to be honest.

Advertisement