Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham press conference @ 14.15

• 11-12-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Pardew on his way?

A lot of rumours flying around, the Daily Mail says he's been sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

the word 'goner' springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Confirmed

And he was doing such a good job (of bringing them down)...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Confirmed on Sky Sports, Pardew has been sacked.

Curbishely to take over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DaBreno wrote:
    Curbishely to take over?

good call, he played for the hammers for 5 years. Started his pro career there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shortsighted to say the least. I suppose Sven Gordon will be favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say Sven will be favorite, I look forward to him getting crushed in the premiership :P That said, he'll defo save them from relegation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I thought he had done a good job up to the beginning of the season, he had a settled side playing very good football.

An injury to Ashton set them back after he had been so key to them last year, and then the farce of the arrival of the Argentian players has completely unsettled the side. That's not Pardew's fault.

Having said that, the results don't lie, they are doing shocking and perhaps they are in a rut that they can't get out of with Pardew at the helm.

Curbishley would be a good move for them, SGE might be the choice though given the high profile takeover probably wanting a high profile manager. And seeing as Newcastle (shockingly) haven't taken the SGE plunge yet the Hammers might be (un)lucky enough to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahhh, sure west ham are too good to go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Cannot believe this. Tevez and Mascherano were the death of him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

While Sven and Curbishley will be favorites, they both seam too nice for a dirty relegation battle .
    A Martin O'Neil, David Moyes or George Graham is whats needed for a relegation battle, of these only George Graham would be available , but hes probably too old to shake things up at West Ham, which is whats needed !
    I wonder would a wounded Ian Dowie be a good shout !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Alan Curbishley has been installed as the 2/1 favourite to succeed Pardew, with Sven Goran-Eriksson an 11/4 shot.

As seems to be the rules whenever a manager is sacked George Graham,Claudio Ranieri and David O'Leary are also linked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Cannot believe this. Tevez and Mascherano were the death of him I think.
    That's his own fault though. It's the managers job to get the best out of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I suppose. It was a very messy situation though. They'll be straight out the door come January. I think they've been want-away from very early on.

Can't see Eriksson getting it. Curbishley would be a better appointment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shocking decision. It looks like the new owner was just waiting to get rid of him, this could really come back to bute him in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well it isnt west hams decision if they go, they dont own the players, the agent and his consortium do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Not totally surprised but a little taken aback by the timing.
    Personally, I'm not sure that Pards had the rod of iron sometimes needed to handle Premiership players
    Curbs - no thanks. Did OK with Charlton but really all they ever managed was mid-table obscurity
    Sven - Not sure he has the disciplinary touch needed for the players at West Ham
    Hoddle has already been mentioned. Another manager who did OK at Chelsea but hasn't done a lot elsewhere.
    I wouldn't mind if they looked abroad. Scolari - I don't think he'd come. Hiddink - be nice if he took it but I don't think he will. Rainieri - hmm, could do a lot worse.
    Or a gamble on a lower-league manager - Parkinson maybe?

That's a bit of a ramble...sorry guys!

Edit...to add that if Tevez and Mascherano go in January, they cannot play for another club as they have played for three clubs within twelve months, the maximum allowed under FIFA rules. They will almost certainly go in the Summer though, unless the new manager does something miraculous!

I hear Wham have already lined up a successor for Pardew, following huge success in Iceland its Kerry Katona...

Its alright, I've already got me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Curbs - no thanks. Did OK with Charlton but really all they ever managed was mid-table obscurity

And whats the plan for West Ham? Premiership domination?

Stekelly wrote:
    And whats the plan for West Ham? Premiership domination?
    No, but regular UEFA Cup football shouldn't be beyond us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity. Pardew is a good manager at a club that got its head turned. He'll pop up again soon enough.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Not a huge Soueness fan, but with a bit of money he might keep them up --
    not for the long term ...
    what about Harry returning from Pompey, wouldn't surprise me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sven agent has said SGE will not be canvasing!

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

aw, and his core of English players were serving him so well.

oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IMO his players have let him down big time. whatever about the argintinians unsettling things, he dropped them when they didnt perform and his players from last year just didnt put in the effort for him. Just dont seem willing to put in the work and drive they did last year.

A real pity for the club, really hope they new man doesnt change the team too much, those players potentially are great together if they can get their act together. Also great as someone mentioned to have seen an english core of players succeed so well last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Never ceases to amaze me how football can turn on its head so fast, so many highs last year and now we're only into December and he's gone.
    As for the new appointment, Magnusson might want to make a statement and go for a high profile capture, not surprising to see Sven and co mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Shocking decision IMO but it has been coming since the arrival of the 2 Argies as it was obvious that Pardew didn't want/need them and it has totally unsettled the whole set up since they arrived. But having said that the players there should take some flak for his demise as they seem to have let him down. Managers always pay the price for players gutless performances and people always then say "sure isn't it the manager who picks the team".

I hear Wham have already lined up a successor for Pardew, following huge success in Iceland its Kerry Katona...

Its alright, I've already got me coat.

That is brilliant ;):D

~Rebel~ wrote:
    IMO his players have let him down big time. whatever about the argintinians unsettling things, he dropped them when they didnt perform and his players from last year just didnt put in the effort for him. Just dont seem willing to put in the work and drive they did last year.

Agree, Reo Croker was pushing for England last year , didn't get to go to Arsenal over the summer, wouldn't get in the san marino team this year - Etherington and Bowyer form much the same - Ashton was a big loss as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Curbs - no thanks. Did OK with Charlton but really all they ever managed was mid-table obscurity!

I bet Charlton fans would love to reach the dizzying hights of mid-table obscurity now.

thebaz wrote:
    Agree, Reo Croker was pushing for England last year , didn't get to go to Arsenal over the summer, wouldn't get in the san marino team this year - Etherington and Bowyer form much the same - Ashton was a big loss as well .

In the case of Etherington and Bowyer, proves that form is temporary, class is permanent. Average players who played above themselves last season.

Ashton was a huge loss, and in the case of Reo Coker I think people need to remember that he is still only 22, anyone blaming him for their drop in form needs their head examined.

• Advertisement

No, but regular UEFA Cup football shouldn't be beyond us

Do you consider your team to be one of the top 7 in England?

In with ManYoo, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bolton, Spurs, Villa, Blackburn, Newcastle, Pompey for a place in that top 7?

Learn to walk before you run fella.

Is this squad capable of finishing in the top 5, or winning a domestic cup?

Of those defenders I'd only rate Ferdinand, and of the midfielders I'd rate Reo Coker and Mascherano (if he ever adapts to playing in the PL). Good options up front, especially when Ashton gets back.

Do you consider your team to be one of the top 7 in England?

In with ManYoo, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bolton, Spurs, Villa, Blackburn, Newcastle, Pompey for a place in that top 7?

Learn to walk before you run fella.
    I do consider them to be one of a group of teams that should be capable of finishing in the top seven.
    Is this squad capable of finishing in the top 5, or winning a domestic cup?
    Yes. 13 members of that squad came within 30 seconds of winning a domestic cup last season
    Of those defenders I'd only rate Ferdinand, and of the midfielders I'd rate Reo Coker and Mascherano (if he ever adapts to playing in the PL). Good options up front, especially when Ashton gets back.
    Gabbidon is an excellent defender. Konchesky *can* be a good player but appears to have some kind of form crisis this season. Reo-Coker is *way* off form. In fact, too many players have started to believe their own press and think they can stroll around the Premiership, instead of having to fight when necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I do consider them to be one of a group of teams that should be capable of finishing in the top seven.
    Delusion. Being "capable" and being in the final 7 are 2 different things. Maybe things will change with the new Icey dude but imo sacking Pardew is a bad move. That's the beauty of football, you never know how these things'll turn out.
    Right now WHU would best forget UEFA qualification...
    http://www.premierleague.com/barclays-premiership-football-league-table.html

One o' these days someone will take a gamble on the Big Ron Ron, yes the Big Ron Ron. Much better candidate than Curbs, O'Dreary or that bloody Eriksson fella.

Savman wrote:
    Delusion. Being "capable" and being in the final 7 are 2 different things. Maybe things will change with the new Icey dude but imo sacking Pardew is a bad move. That's the beauty of football, you never know how these things'll turn out.
    Right now WHU would best forget UEFA qualification...
    http://www.premierleague.com/barclays-premiership-football-league-table.html
    I don't need reminding where West Ham are in the table :D and there's almost no hope of Europe next year unless we manage a fantastic Cup run again.
    But the vast majority of this season's squad were in last season's squad. A squad that finished ninth in the Premiership (and should have finished higher) and reached the FA Cup Final. They are capable of finishing in the top seven. That doesn't mean they will. Chelsea are capable of winning the Premiership. That doesnt mean they will.
    Too many players are not performing this season and for some reason, Pardew wouldn't drop them. Reo-Coker and Konchesky being the prime suspects.
    There are rumours of a gambling culture at the club and internal discipline problems. If that's so, and Pardew wasn't strong enough to stop that, then maybe it's best that he went.
    But from the football side, I would have preferred to see him given some money in January, pick an XI with a fully-fit Dean Ashton and then see how we got on.
    We will never know the full story unless Pardew or Magnusson wants to tell us and I doubt they will...

and in the case of Reo Coker I think people need to remember that he is still only 22, anyone blaming him for their drop in form needs their head examined.

To me its smacks of the spolit brat mentality, doesn't get his big money move , so he gets the hump, and doesn't perform , and still probably pockets a decent 5 figure weekly salary -- so yes he should look at himself tonight and see did he do all he could , but somehow i doubt he gives a rasher ...

A squad that finished ninth in the Premiership (and should have finished higher) and reached the FA Cup Final.
    Everything else I agree with but this I don't, if West Ham finished 9th, they should not "have finished higher" - each team finishes exactly where they deserve and it may be a cliche but the league table never lies. I did fancy them for the Cup last year though, merely cos they were underdogs but still getting to the final was some achievment

I don't know whassup with the players this year but very little of it has to do with Pardew, he has composed himself quite well in recent months even when under serious pressure and during that spat with Wenger. I think Pardew will be snapped up by another club, and WHU's loss is someone else's gain.

To be frank, something has not been right at Upton Park for a while now, with the takeover, Argentinians and links with Eriksson, etc etc. There is no smoke without fire and I don't think most of us really know what's going on there. Didn't the guy who brought Tevez lose out in the bidding during the takeover? Crazy and I doubt it's finished yet, the club has had one issue after another and now they sack their Manager in the latest of a long line of controversies.

Nobody's too big to go down, but West Ham were only one win away from getting out of the drop zone, I would never have put money on them getting relegated they have better players than most other teams in the bottom half. And if a few bad results is the end of Pardew, then surely Boothroyd, Reed, Hughes, Warnock, Southgate, Roeder, Coleman and Pearce must be sweating it because they're all hovering just above relegation.

Stoopid stoopid decision.

• Advertisement

Just found this: http://www.whufc.com/news/?page_id=8587

In his own words:
    I am proud of my achievements at West Ham United. When I took the helm they were in the Championship and struggling to find direction. In two consecutive seasons we qualified for the Play-Off final, ultimately achieving the Premiership status the club so richly deserve.

"I am also proud of our first season back in the top flight in which we finished ninth and came so close to winning the FA Cup. The supporters have stood by me and I will always cherish memories of their support and loyalty during the difficulties of this season.

"I would like to thank them from the bottom of my heart. They really are a special set of fans.

"I am proud most of all of the players, many of whom have developed into top Premiership performers under the tutelage of myself and my backroom staff.

"The coaching and medical staff at Upton Park are second to none and I want to wish the new Chairman, Eggert Magnusson, and the Club every success for the future
    Promotion to the Premiership followed by an FA Cup Final!

followed by relegation it was looking though. He seemed a nice fella and one of the better managers, but i am not too suprised by his sacking.

followed by relegation it was looking though. He seemed a nice fella and one of the better managers, but i am not too suprised by his sacking.
    C'mon they were never getting relegated, there's half a season to go ffs.
    I would be shocked if West Ham went down and Watford, Sheffield Utd or Charlton managed to stay up.

West Ham have won 4 out of 8 Home games which is the same amount as Arsenal. It's their away form that's poor (W0, D1, L8). Nothing the January transfer window can't sort.

If the tabloids are anything to go by, Thierry Henry & Arsenal's kids are in crisis, Bolton are a bunch of physical bullies with no footballing skill, Stuart Pearce & Man City are in deep trouble, and Blackburn are a good footballing team.

In reality, Arsenal are 2pts behind 3rd place, Bolton are 1pt behind 3rd place, Man City are 2 wins away from possible UEFA cup slot and Blackburn are 2pts off relegation!

The entire table will get turned on it's head over the coming weeks, if any team wins 2 games on the trot they literally shoot several places up the table and we get told they're a "form team". Everyone has to play everyone else, points will be dropped all over the place so there's all to play for.

And I would love it we go there and beat them, love it!:D:D

They should have finished higher than ninth because they threw away points. Lost or drew games when they were ahead - v. Chelsea for example. 1-0 up and Chelsea down to ten men with less than half-an-hour gone and get tonked 4-1 :rolleyes:

As for too good to go down, we're only one point better off than when we got relegated the last time...:(

They should have finished higher than ninth because they threw away points. Lost or drew games when they were ahead - v. Chelsea for example. 1-0 up and Chelsea down to ten men with less than half-an-hour gone and get tonked 4-1 :rolleyes:

And if your Auntie had balls...

Every club can point to similar at some point in the season. Spurs shouldn't have gone to the Boelyn last game last season needing a win, we should never have conceeded that last second header at home to your lot (there's a game you drew that you could easily have lost), or the late equaliser away to Sunderland, or the 92nd minute winner from Gallas at Chelsea.

Looking at last years table, of all the sides you finished behind only Newcastle could have few complaints if they'd reversed positions with you.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    C'mon they were never getting relegated, there's half a season to go ffs.
    I would be shocked if West Ham went down and Watford, Sheffield Utd or Charlton managed to stay up.

West Ham have won 4 out of 8 Home games which is the same amount as Arsenal. It's their away form that's poor (W0, D1, L8). Nothing the January transfer window can't sort.

If the tabloids are anything to go by, Thierry Henry & Arsenal's kids are in crisis, Bolton are a bunch of physical bullies with no footballing skill, Stuart Pearce & Man City are in deep trouble, and Blackburn are a good footballing team.

In reality, Arsenal are 2pts behind 3rd place, Bolton are 1pt behind 3rd place, Man City are 2 wins away from possible UEFA cup slot and Blackburn are 2pts off relegation!

The entire table will get turned on it's head over the coming weeks, if any team wins 2 games on the trot they literally shoot several places up the table and we get told they're a "form team". Everyone has to play everyone else, points will be dropped all over the place so there's all to play for.

I could easily of seen them getting relegated with Pardew. They have been muck this season and even the players seem to have lost all faith in Pardew. Its very dificult for a team to turn form on like a tap. Most teams down the bottom end of the table at christmas usually stay there if they keep there manager.

as much as it pains me to say it Colin and sheffield United have been pretty good this year, unforunatly i think they have a great chance of staying up. Charlton and Watford are done for.

West Brom should now be safe. boro could also be in a spot of bother, i hope so anyway.

West Brom should now be safe

That'll be news to them, they think they went down last year...:D

As for the Spammer players losing confidence in Pardew, rumours I've been hearing quite a bit recently suggest that due to certain non-football related shenanigans (which I won't be speculating on, for boards sake), the players have pretty much been picking themselves of late. Also, as alluded to by others, a number of players are said to be experiencing personal problems, one of whom has been made public (Roy Carroll).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Looking at last years table, of all the sides you finished behind only Newcastle could have few complaints if they'd reversed positions with you.
    Hahaha I'd have more than a few complaints if that happened we whooped their asses last year and went on a great run under Roeder without having Owen around to add to his hat-trick at Upton Park. Everything else u say is true.

Some funny stories about Pardew in The Daily Mirror today:
    Pardew shocked them all by turning up for training in a Ferrari. He earned in excess of £1.5m last year in wages and bonuses by consolidating West Ham's Premiership status, reaching the FA Cup final and leading them into the UEFA Cup.

That new Ferrari smacked of a man in a mid-life crisis, rather than a football manager in the middle of a full-scale crisis in his job.
    Pardew tried to rally his troops by insisting he was a millionaire, didn't need the job and if they were not performing then it was themselves they were harming, and not him.

The players took it the wrong way and relations were further soured.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=lost-his-players%2D%2D%2D-lost-his-job%26method=full%26objectid=18247797%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

kinaldo wrote:
    Hahaha I'd have more than a few complaints if that happened we whooped their asses last year and went on a great run under Roeder without having Owen around to add to his hat-trick at Upton Park.

What I was getting at was of the 8 teams ahead of West Ham, seven had relatively consistent seasons (i.e. top half of the table) while Newcastle had a real Jekyll and Hyde season under Sourness then Roeder. If you look at their run in, the 16 points gained in your last 6 matches propelled them to 7th place (you were the 2nd best team formwise behind Liverpool for those 6 games)

Now, you got what you deserved for that run of results, no question, but had you drawn one of the games you'd won, and they'd won one of the games they'd drawn, we'd be talking about their unbeaten run from 14th January to the 11th March (5 wins,1 draw) and them finishing a point ahead of you.

What I was getting at was of the 8 teams ahead of West Ham, seven had relatively consistent seasons (i.e. top half of the table) while Newcastle had a real Jekyll and Hyde season under Sourness then Roeder. If you look at their run in, the 16 points gained in your last 6 matches propelled them to 7th place (you were the 2nd best team formwise behind Liverpool for those 6 games)

Now, you got what you deserved for that run of results, no question, but had you drawn one of the games you'd won, and they'd won one of the games they'd drawn, we'd be talking about their unbeaten run from 14th January to the 11th March (5 wins,1 draw) and them finishing a point ahead of you.
    Yeah I suppose so. I still maintain that our season didn't start until Souness was well and truly gone. As soon as Roeder picked up the pieces we started playing good football and consistent results followed. I'm going well off topic now, but I take your point.

Press conference for today at 3pm
    From official website:
    West Ham United can confirm that an announcement will be made this afternoon regarding the Club's managerial position.

A statement will be released here on the official website, immediately followed by a press conference to be held at 3.00pm at the Boleyn Ground.

The Club will make no further statements before the offical press conference.

Advertisement