Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bought car from uk when do i do my nct

Options
  • 11-12-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

i just bought a car from the uk. i have vrt paid and plates changed and its taxed

Do i need to book the nct straight away or is it only for cars registered in ireland for so long??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

How old is the car? Afaik if its 4 years or more you have to book the NCT as soon as possible after its registered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik if the car is 4 years or older it needs to be NCT'd straight away once it is registered here.

If it is less than 4 years old then afaik it doesn't need an NCT until 4 years from date of original registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

E@gle. wrote:
    Do i need to book the nct straight away or is it only for cars registered in ireland for so long??
    Technically, its illegal to drive it to the NCT centre if it doesn't have a valid NCT certificate.

Of course while its on its UK plates it can't be NCT'd and is therefore exempt.

To the letter of the law, you should drive to the NCT centre and leave it there while you go to the customs office and register it, get the plates, and book the NCT, then show up shortly before your appointed time (six weeks later) and put the plates on, if it hasn't been towed away and crushed in the meantime.

All the well-thought-out legislation we know & expect from the DoE.

In the real world, you should book it as soon as its convenient for you to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

just got a letter from the dep of transport.

i gotta put the irish plates on within 3 working days,go to nct centre with cert saying vrt is paid and the car and they have to register it. Then i can book my test.

Advertisement