Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Changing My Swift

Options
  • 11-12-2006 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

I currently have a .22 Ruger Swift and im thinking of chaging it to maybe something that costs a bit less ammo wise.

i mostly just use it for Lamping at night but i was thinking of getting something i could do some target shooting with as well.

Would a .223 be a good change??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

E@gle. wrote:
    I currently have a .22 Ruger Swift and im thinking of chaging it to maybe something that costs a bit less ammo wise.

i mostly just use it for Lamping at night but i was thinking of getting something i could do some target shooting with as well.

Excellent , if you pick the correct one for your purpose.
    Hunting firearms tend to have a lighter barrel , this isn't really suitable for range work or any situation where you plan to sit down and chuck a lot of rounds downrange. It will either overheat the barrel, or if you are really self disciplined you can shoot a couple , leave it 10 mins , shoot a couple more. With a really light "Buggy whip" barrel it could take 30 mins to shoot a 5 shot group and a few practice shots.

Go for something with a heavy varmint barrel, a fast twist rate 8 or 9 in 1 , and use good quality heavy bullets 69 or 75 gr , this is match quality stuff and will set you back about €25 a box. 1 in 12 twist rates will shoot better with lighter bullets 55gr etc..(Actually it's about bullet length not weight , but it's a good rule of thumb), These are very common weights , so prices are considerably lower , down to €15 for good stuff and about €8 for crappy stuff.

Look at Sako, Sabbati, Tikka, Remington VssF and the rangemaster.
    CZ do a beautiful .223 with a medium weight barrel , adjustable set trigger and a macmillan stock that is a peach. I handled one just last week and it looked really good .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

thanks for info jaycee.

how much bullets do ya get for 25euro.

aslo any thoughts on this
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=9&idz=185&lang=en

or

http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=9&idz=32&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

E@gle. wrote:

My god why would you want to change your swift i have one and would not get rid of it for anything!! they are an awsome weapon for vermin at long ranges. yeah i know the ammo is expensive @€;2 each but in a little while we will be alowed reload so god man wait:)

a .223 is a very good caliber but would not hold a candle to a swift power wise i have fired both .223is great for practice and the ammo is cheap but if you want pure mussle and oomphh sitck with the swift:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I gotta agree Totally with Tom, I'll be keeping my Swift for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am not in anyway saying the swift is a bad calibre (in fact it is very good) but for what the OP has asked about (lamping and bit of targets) I believe he would be best served with a .223

Do you really need all that extra power (therefore cost) for lamping??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Vegeta wrote:
    Do you really need all that extra power (therefore cost) for lamping??

no. thats why i want to change it. most of the time in lamping for foxes i use my
    shotgun anyway.

Advertisement