Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System to complement Xbox 360

• 11-12-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

hey guys,

in the market for a surround sound system to connect up to an xbox 360. the room is quite small (about 10x20ft) and the tv is a 32 samsung hd lcd.
    i know nothing about surround sound systems and am buying this for someone else. any help appreciated.

my main questions are:
    -will all systems connect to the xbox
    -does the xbox have a decoder, or will i need a system with a built in one.
    -wat kinda of wattage should i look for

saw an accoustic solutions system in argos, claiming 100 wats, for €120. wat would this be like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

walshy123 wrote:
    hey guys,

my main questions are:
    -will all systems connect to the xbox
    -does the xbox have a decoder, or will i need a system with a built in one.
    -wat kinda of wattage should i look for

saw an accoustic solutions system in argos, claiming 100 wats, for €120. wat would this be like?

- The Xbox 360 can handle standard stereo output via RCA cables, or digital audio via an optical cable. The type of output is selectable on the Xbox system configuration screen.
    - To the best of my knowledge, the Xbox 360 doesn't do much (if any) processing. It passes the audio out for your audio receiver to handle as it wishes. In my case, I use the optical output to connect to a Sony HT-DDW880 receiver., which I have set up to handle Dolby Digital 5.1 for the Xbox.
    - My room is similar in dimensions to the one you mentioned, and the Sony mentioned above is more than powerful enough for the room. I'd imagine something around 500W would suffice, but you need to consider whether the sound is likely to bother neighbours, etc. I live in a terraced house, so I'd rarely push the sound up too far.

I don't know much about Acoustic Solutions products, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be too impressive. If you're interested in the Sony HT-DDW880, you can get one from Pixmania for €351 excl delivery.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263268/art/sony/home-cinema-6-1-hdmi-ht-d.html

D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nodger wrote:

I don't know much about Acoustic Solutions products, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be too impressive. If you're interested in the Sony HT-DDW880, you can get one from Pixmania for €351 excl delivery.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263268/art/sony/home-cinema-6-1-hdmi-ht-d.html

D.

I'm going for the 5.1
    version of the model above.

Doesnt have hdmi but I'm not that pushed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

To be quite honest the Accoustic Solutions product would be utter crap. Your far better off looking at something else. To give recomendations we'd really need to know how much your looking to spend on the item as they can range from €100 to €10000.

Advertisement