Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy ipod?

Options
  • 11-12-2006 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Any advice on the cheapest place to buy an ipod in/around the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Yep, the prices are set for iPods. I'm looking for a 80gb which seems to be costing €400 in most places

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irl.woa/6214041/wa/PSLID?mco=30F51C&nclm=iPod&wosid=xj5Fv5YNMBzZ2lnuGGndqlfKeaE

The best I've seen so far is working out at €376.90 (including postage) I have no idea how reliable they are though

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/416226/art/apple/ipod-80gb-black.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

I used to run a business selling ipods and other consumer electronics, and found back then (which it should still be true) that if you get it from the US even after paying vat (21%) and duty (3%) and shipping, usually you can get it cheaper.

Right now without trying (ie first response on froogle) you can get a 40gb ipod for about $180 which translates to about 144 EUR. After vat/duty/PP it should be 200 EUR or less.

Some less honest folk might even mark it as a gift with a value of less than $50 to avoid VAT/Duty all together, even then shipping is only about 16 EUR for priority. I cant recommend this though, since the government needs (or maybe just wants) their revenue.

This of course is not 'in the city' nor is it cash and carry, expect 3-5 days minimum for delivery once its deposited in the hands of the courier, but it may be cheaper.

BrayHead wrote:

Do you know anyone working in apple in hollyhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

BrayHead wrote:

It's far better to get one online.

But why an I-Pod? They're not even "real" mp3 players technically. They're awkward and have terrible support.

Creative Mp3 players are a little cheaper and a little better but still suffer from problems.

I'd look into an I-River or similiar brand, those are often quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you know anyone working in Apple in Hollyhill, ask them if they will get one for you. When I worked there, I bought my iPod with a 30% staff discount.

dudara wrote:
    If you know anyone working in Apple in Hollyhill, ask them if they will get one for you. When I worked there, I bought my iPod with a 30% staff discount.

duara

I know I suggested Apple in Hollyhill too, but now I've heard from someone who got an iPod this way that the quality is not as good. They said the minute the warranty was up in the iPod that it gave up. Could you shed any light on this? It was probably purely coincidence but he seemed to think that the staff got the "seconds" -probably not the right word to use but hopefully yoou know what I mean. Cheers.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have an iPod from Holyhill and its going strong. No seconds there. Shipped from China just like the others.

o2 are selling them 20euro cheaper than Apple/3G at the moment - saw this in their Douglas Court store.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was there when the telesales guy placed the order and it went through the same system as everyone else. I've had mine 27 months and not a single problem at all.

In fairness, think about it. Giving your employees seconds causes more bother than it's worth. They'll only end up badmouthing you.

Parsi, duddara thanks for that. I think I'll be going the Apple Hollyhill route. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Price is standard everywhere except....Tesco ran an ad in last Thursday's paper advertising a 4GB iPod nano for 25% off the standard €209 price. That pretty much matches the US price and beats what you can get through an Apple employee. Don't know if they still have them in stock or if the deal still applies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

If you're willing to buy online, komplett.ie are another good site to buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

BrayHead wrote:

I got a 20GB model last year from Carrigaline Computer Discount Store for €180, might be worth a call.

Advertisement