Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REQ:DOJ webpage link for firearms importation?

Options
  • 11-12-2006 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I have just received my license for The Anschutz .22lr that I applied for back in June:rolleyes:
    I now need to apply to the DOJ for an Importation cert so that I can bring it back from the north, and I recall someone posted a link to the DOJ or Garda site that allowed me to print off the form.
    I can't find the post now but can anyone help with the link?
    TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Many thanks Sparks, Now to get the show on the road...

Nae worries CJ. Throw a photo up here when you get to the range with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

What piece of legislation is that form operating under?

The old rules I think civ. I don't know if CJ can still just collect it himself using only his firearms cert and a visitor's permit from up north though.

• Advertisement

It's just that normally a form such as this indicates what piece of legislation it's based on.

Has it been nailed down yet whether the Article 7 Authorisation from a superintendent is the required form of prior consent under the EU Directive?

If it is, what's this form for, if it isn't what's the Article 7 for?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

From memory he will need a Article 7 , the FD in NI will then apply for a disposal order from the British DTI ,takes about 10 working days . After that then it is plain sailing .

And here I was thinking I would just get this rubberstamped and be on my way thank you very much....
    I guess I could still try and fax it through to the DOJ seeing as they still have it up on the website and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I brought in a .22 pistol in from the North earlier this year. I had to get an Article 7 and a Euro Pass, send these to the dealer I bought from along with a photo copy of my licence. He organised a visitors pass with the PSNI, this takes about six weeks, I then went up and collected the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

The import section of the DOJ have nothing to do with it.
    It will just muddy the waters.

If you have been granted an Irish Firearms cert ,you are then entitled to apply to your local Superintendent for an article 7.

You then contact the firearms section of the PSNI (The operator will get you the number) and they will tell you to download the application form for a visitors permit . (Because they don't recognise the European firearm pass)

The following information is from the PSNI website.
    Theres also a link on their page to download the form required.
    In future, visitors will need to have a sponsor who lives in Northern Ireland. The sponsor will have to complete an application form on behalf of the visitor at least 6 weeks prior to the date of the visit. In addition to this change the new legislation removes the facility for people resident in the Republic to hold a Northern Ireland firearm certificate. Existing certificates will remain valid until the date on which they expire or until such times as holders are notified by PSNI.

Further guidance can be obtained from Firearms & Explosives Branch, Police Service of Northern Ireland, 42 Montgomery Road, Belfast, BT6 9LD.

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/advice_centre/firearms/pg_firearms_visiting.htm

Non-GB residents visiting Northern Ireland

The following details will assist those persons proposing to visit Northern Ireland and who wish to bring their firearms.
    Under the Firearms Order (NI) 2004 non-GB visitors wishing to bring firearms into Northern Ireland must have an application submitted on their behalf by a ‘sponsor’ who must be a resident of Northern Ireland. Form 30 / 38 The application must be accompanied by a domestic firearms permit for the firearm intended to be held in Northern Ireland and in the case of nationals of the European Union, the original European firearms pass. This requirement also applies to those applicants only seeking authority for transit through Northern Ireland.

As firearms require to be licensed for the entire period of their stay, sponsors are advised that when furnishing dates of the proposed visit they also cater for possible delays/difficulties in travelling.

Applications for Visitor’s Permits must be made to PSNI Firearms and Explosives Branch at least two months in advance of the date they are required, short notice applications will not be considered. Forms are available from any PSNI station or directly from Firearms and Explosives Branch. There is a £12 fee for such certificates, however for a group application of six or more persons the fee is £60.

• Advertisement

jaycee wrote:
    You then contact the firearms section of the PSNI (The operator will get you the number) and they will tell you to download the application form for a visitors permit . (Because they don't recognise the European firearm pass)

A minor correction to an excellent post, JC - the NI authorities do recognise the European Firearms Pass; but they recognise it as a passport, not a visa. So it's sufficient paperwork to go between countries, just not to be in theirs unless you have the local paperwork as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Fair point..!

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, now for the next question so that I have the facts when I go into the station.
    What is an Article 7 and how does one apply for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

The Article 7 and Euro Pass can be got at your local Garda station. You'll need a passport size photo for the Euro Pass.

Article 7 is a document from your local Superintendent that gives you "prior consent" to purchase a firearm in another EU country. You're entitled to one when you get a firearm certificate, so all you have to do is ask.

The name comes from the relevant part of the EU firearms directive.

Many thanks to all who answered, and clarified the process.

Advertisement