Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darn Roundabouts

Options
  • 11-12-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Apologies if this has been done to death, but it just seems like the designers of the Sarsfield and Bandon Rd Roundabouts are aiming to cause crashes.

Firstly coming from Douglas onto the Sfield Rd RB, since when have you been able to turn right up towards wilton from the middle lane. I always thought that right hand lane goes up towards Wilton, middle lane goes straight on. Lately as I get past the exit for the South Ring West, and move across to the lane for wilton, cars originally from the middle lane are continuing on to the left hand lane for wilton. If they're aloud to do this then I'll happil stand corrected and give way next time, but nowhere does it say middle lane can turn right as you approach the roundabout from the East.

I think the confusion may be coming from the Bandon Rd RB, since coming from the East the middle can turn right towards the waterfall road. Of course in an act that defies logic, the road markings only say the middle lane can turn right after you get on the roundabout. Before you enter it, the lane markings just say, left/straight on, straight on, right. Its as if they allow traffic in the middle lane to turn right but dont want anybody to know about it.

Finally if your still with me, on the Sarsfield Roundabout, if your coming down from wilton turning right on the South Ring West, the lane markings are just plane wrong. Once you past the SR East exit, the middle and right lane at the lights are for West. Ok so far, since the left hand lane goes up to Doughcloyne. Now after this exit the middle markings shouls guide you into the left hand lane, while the right lane markings should guide you into the middle. But for some reason known only to the lads in hard hats, the lane markings just guide you into the middle and right lanes again. So if you follow the fast lane for the West you have to swerve into the middle lane at the last minute to get off the roundabout.

If anybody can think of any reason they desinged these fe*king roundabouts like this please tell me and put me out of my misery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

+1

There is something seriously wrong with whoever designs roundabouts in Cork. I think it's some kind of border control to stop non-rebels getting into the city :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Chummmp wrote:
    Firstly coming from Douglas onto the Sfield Rd RB, since when have you been able to turn right up towards wilton from the middle lane.

You can't. People doing this are a healthy mix of absolute muppets and assholes jumping the queue. I like to stand on the horn everytime somebody does this in front of me but to this day I've never even seen one of them look around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You can't. People doing this are a healthy mix of absolute muppets and assholes jumping the queue. I like to stand on the horn everytime somebody does this in front of me but to this day I've never even seen one of them look around.
    i gave out to a fella for doing this one day actually, he came from the middle lane and cut me off (on my motorbike) so when he stopped at the lights by tesco i rolled up next to him and explained that he was wrong and he should look at the road markings the next day, he claimed to be in the right and the wife beside him was a right old cow. there are too many assholes on teh roads, they dont care if they're right or wrong and they're lethal to those of us on less protected transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Tree wrote:
    i gave out to a fella for doing this one day actually, he came from the middle lane and cut me off (on my motorbike) so when he stopped at the lights by tesco i rolled up next to him and explained that he was wrong and he should look at the road markings the next day, he claimed to be in the right and the wife beside him was a right old cow. there are too many assholes on teh roads, they dont care if they're right or wrong and they're lethal to those of us on less protected transport

Very true. Total lack of consideration for other road users contributes greatly to a lot of the tailback at busy times (stopping in yellow box at junctions blocking several lanes, failing to indicate or change lane well in time etc etc.)

As regards the whole issue of roundabouts, we are the only developed country in the world that spends hundreds of millions of taxpayers money on the building of dual carriageways and other multi lane roadways only to have such roads terminate at roundabouts.

Roundabouts are not suitable for controlling junctions on anything more than suburban single carriageway roads. Flyovers or raised interchanges are what is needed at both the sarsfield road and bishopstown roundabouts.

But what else do you expect when our country is run by incompetent gombeen men for the benefit of corrupt cowboy builders and developers. Remember that when you go out to vote next year!!

If you think things are bad now just wait until the rezoning of land on the bandon road roundabout near dunnes stores.

Read the story here

If money didn't change hands there I'll eat my hat!

Advertisement