Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Phone 6233 or W810i

• 11-12-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

ok time has come for my yearly upgrade and im down to a choice of 2 phones (with 1 backup option)

ive decided on either the Sony W810i or the Nokia 6233 so im just looking for opinions from those of you in the know out there. basis for my choices were
    (in order of importance)

small
    lightweight
    easy to use
    easy to write text messages
    bluetooth
    no flip phones or motorola
    usb connection
    camera
    mp3 player (although prob wont use it a lot)
    duno whether i want 3g or not to be honest, but just looking at the future and another 12months before i upgrade again, it might be as well off to get a phone with it now.

ive always had a nokia phone (currently the 6020) of one sort or other so im swaying towards the 6233. my backup option is the 6230i
    im currently on o2 bill pay but prob changing to meteor because missus has meteor now. will cost about 50 euro for either phone, whether i stay with o2 or go to meteor. only reason im kinda dismissing the 6230i is cos the screen is bigger on the 6233, 2mp camera and that also has 3g.

Which phone is the best option in your opinion? 18 votes

Nokia 6233
    0% 0 votes
    Sony W810i
    22% 4 votes
    go for the tried and tested Nokia 6230i
    77% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

W810i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

any particular reason?

I think I'm just fed up with Nokia. I have the N70 atm, I'm going to get the SE K800 soon. My friend has the W810i and it's lovely, packed full of features is a perfect size phone. Nokia phones with the same spec seem to be bigger and heavier.

Nokia must bring out a phone everyday, I think they're just making phones for the laugh.

it seems that way alright. and it only seems there might be one great phone among 30. i remember one they brought out years ago and it was virtually indestructible. friend only changed hers recently cos she wanted colour screen and a camera hehehe. the 6230i seems to be one the good-uns as well. last year i had about 4 6100s all failing due to moisture getting into the keypad.
    ive had no experience with SE but i was blown away with the features on a friends recently and so the 810i came into consideration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

W810i! Looks like a great phone. I used to be all Nokia myself but then I got a Sony Ericson K700i and believe me it's worth it. SE's are very easy to use and let's face it the joysticks are cool (but i don't think there's one on the W810i...)! I really want the W810i but too expensive on Pay as you go. Meteor bill pay should be grand

• Advertisement

Atm I'd say the Nokia 6230/i is the most durable and best featured for it's size and price (Nokia phone). I had the 6230i before my N70 and I didn't like it, the main reason was the screen size (I had the 6630 before that) and another I found the screen gets very smudgy quite easily, and it's annoying trying to keep it clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

W810i! Looks like a great phone. I used to be all Nokia myself but then I got a Sony Ericson K700i and believe me it's worth it. SE's are very easy to use and let's face it the joysticks are cool (but i don't think there's one on the W810i...)! I really want the W810i but too expensive on Pay as you go. Meteor bill pay should be grand
    there isn't one on the w810i and that's a good thing. the joysticks always break

after reading a few more online reviews it seems the nokia has a better screen and navigation system
    whereas the SE has better camera and music player (along with a light for night time photos/video)
    if only the W830i wasnt a myth, the features suggested would have put it way out in front
    guess it'll really to come down to going into the shop and seeing which one looks / feels better on the day

well, seeing as i started the thread i may as well update, as of friday i changed to meteor and got myself a nice W810i for 29 euro. took me about 2 days to get over my nokia hangover and really loving the phone. what sold it in the end was the 512 memory with the SE and the light for night photos. ive already used it on a couple of occasions, just as a light, nevermind for pics. the lack of a back button is the thing getting me most when typing text messages but as i say, the more days pass, the more used to it im getting.
    now also have free calls and texts to the missus.

the lack of a back button is the thing getting me most when typing text messages but as i say, the more days pass, the more used to it im getting.
    now also have free calls and texts to the missus.
    how do you mean the lack of a back button? it has one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'd have said the 6230i myself. I've had the w810i for a few months now. Great phone, but lately I've been noticing call quality isn't as good as it was on my old nokia6230.

Could be just me but it had been mentioned in some reviews I read after getting the SE.

how do you mean the lack of a back button? it has one

i mean the location of it compared to the nokia one. the delete button and back button are separate, whereas i was used to button in the top right on my nokia for both deleting and back

i mean the location of it compared to the nokia one. the delete button and back button are separate, whereas i was used to button in the top right on my nokia for both deleting and back
    ah i see. that is the thing that takes the most getting used to on SE's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sorry to hijack the thread, but between a K750i and W810i which is the better phone?

I had a K750i recently but I got stolen :( and I liked it. It was a nice change from having Nokias for years.

I have an upgrade with O2 and the K750i is €29 and the W810i is €169.

Is the difference is cost justifiable? Or am I better off staying with the K750i?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but between a K750i and W810i which is the better phone?

I had a K750i recently but I got stolen :( and I liked it. It was a nice change from having Nokias for years.

I have an upgrade with O2 and the K750i is €29 and the W810i is €169.

Is the difference is cost justifiable? Or am I better off staying with the K750i?
    its better but not €140 better. i'd go for the k750 but others might disagree

basically the differences are:
    the interface on the w810i is more geared towards music
    it comes with a 512mb card instead of 64mb
    it doesn't have a joystick. the main benefit imo

the w810i is only 29 euro on meteor at the moment, so o2 might reduce the cost also in the near future. i was worried about moving networks as ive always been on o2, but as of yet, i havent looked back

its better but not €140 better. i'd go for the k750 but others might disagree
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And sure if I was gonna pay the €140 extra for it I may as well ad another €10 to it and get the K800i instead.

the interface on the w810i is more geared towards music
    Excuse my ignorance but how is it different?

it comes with a 512mb card instead of 64mb
    Yeah I noticed that which is a plus but either way I reckon I'd upgrade to a 1 or 2gb card anyway. I had a 2gb card in my old phone before it got robbed.
    it doesn't have a joystick. the main benefit imo
    That's a big factor imo. I didn't have the K750i long enough to start having trouble with the joystick but from reading around and talking to friends it seems to be a very common problem.

the w810i is only 29 euro on meteor at the moment, so o2 might reduce the cost also in the near future. i was worried about moving networks as ive always been on o2, but as of yet, i havent looked back
    I'd be so p1ssed off if I forked out €169 for it and then a couple of weeks later it was reduced to €29. I changed networks from Vodafone to O2 a couple of years ago cos they were doing a decent offer at the time. New phone, ipod shuffle and 3 months free rental for 3 months for €59 so changing networks is never a problem. Although I think I'd tied to O2 for the next year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

W810i from experience. Nokia 6233 has poor battery life, poor signal, and has a horrible bloated feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

How much is thw W810i in o2 shops for speakeasy upgrade customers?

It's €239 on the website.... would it be more expensive in an o2 brick and mortar jobbie?

How much is thw W810i in o2 shops for speakeasy upgrade customers?

It's €239 on the website.... would it be more expensive in an o2 brick and mortar jobbie?
    Well the price for the upgrade on a bill phone is the same online as it is in the O2 shop. But sometimes you get extras in the shop. e.g. at the moment you can get a free carkit with the K750i if you buy it in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ah i see. that is the thing that takes the most getting used to on SE's
    there's that and 0 isn't space in a text message it's now #

i've never used a bad SE phone and i've owned two k750i, k800i but have a load of others mainly the w810i, w800i, t610.

they just work, and have long battery.

Advertisement