Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell - Misplaced delivery! Useless ****'s!!!

Options
  • 11-12-2006 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

What else can one do at this point?

I ordered a laptop for an xmas present off of Dell on the 26th of November, on the 30th Dell's courier delivered that laptop to the wrong address, they contacted me in the morning and I told them my co signature of the credit card can sign for it. I rang Dell on Monday morning to find out if there was a delay on the order as this was meant to be delivered on the Thursday gone.

Dell informed me of the incorrect address it was delivered to and opened up an investigation with the couriers. The idea being to retrieve the laptop. Dell declined to inform me (after seveal questions) whether they would simply deliver the laptop to me from the misplaced address or just send me a replacement.

As far as I am concerned the issue here is not with myself but with Dell and there courier. In other words as this hadn't been delivered to me and I had not signed for it Dell should work to complete the order as requested ASAP. It's up to them to recover there lost goods.

As it stands, Dell's investigation has been ongoing for a week now with contact from the courier with me on Friday. No other updates have occurred until 20 minutes ago when I rang again for an update.

I have demanded several times that Dell simply complete the order with me and stop wasting my time. I have threatened to have my credit card company follow them up to reclaim the funds within 24-48 hrs over breach of contract if there isn't momentum However they are adamant that they must retrieve the laptop they lost first.

Has anyone had this lovely experience with Dell, if so, any other nice ways to get around them? At this point they just wasnt to raise the issue with the courier again...:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've never had this experience with Dell but did with a different online retailer about a year ago. The items I bought were shipped by registered post from London but something went wrong and the package ended up in Belfast. The shop, on realising this by contacting Royal Mail, issued a new order to me immediately while they waited for the original to be returned to them.

Quite simply Dell haven't delivered what you paid for. If the courier lost or delivered the laptop to the wrong address then that's not your problem. This is an issue for Dell to sort with the courier. You are entitled to what you paid for so Dell should refund or issue a replacement post haste.

Stop threatening them and report them to the credit card company immediately. When your money is returned, re-place the order, or buy elsewhere as Dell are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Just report them to the Credit Card company. Why waste any more of your time. Dells Delivery system is very poor. I've had problems with it myself in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The fault is not with Dell, it's with the courier company (Interlink I think) as they lost it. Put it this way, if you sell something over ebay and post it out to them and the package gets lost in the post, would you send out a replacement to your customer or would you get onto An Post to sort it out ?

I've bought several items from Dell over the last year and never had an issue with every item always arriving on time, sometimes even a day or two early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Has anyone had this lovely experience with Dell, if so, any other nice ways to get around them? At this point they just wasnt to raise the issue with the courier again...:mad:

In fairness to Interlink they were bloody careful where they delivered a laptop for me about the exact same day somewhere in Ireland . It was only when I gave the guy some serious reassurances that he went ahead and left it where I asked him to leave it. There it was that evening in perfect nick as agreed. Interlink don't bash stuff around either unlike those skangers in DHL :(

Did the courier have your mobile number .....as in did you give Dell your mobile number when you ordered because they would have printed it on the label ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

interlink have always been good to me, phone me and ask what day im off and deliver when im available etc.

But tbh mistakes can happen, i would contact the CC company and have them cancel the payment and inform dell that you are canceling your order.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote:
    The fault is not with Dell, it's with the courier company (Interlink I think) as they lost it. Put it this way, if you sell something over ebay and post it out to them and the package gets lost in the post, would you send out a replacement to your customer or would you get onto An Post to sort it out ?
    This isn't eBay though, and Dell are still responsible for the delivery of what deconstruct paid for. They should organise a replacement immediately and then chase up the recovery of the lost one with Interlink. Dell have admitted that it was delivered to the wrong address so it's not as if they're contesting anything. This is very poor service on their part, but not at all surprising I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Answer my question though, doesn't matter that it's not eBay, if you sell something to someone via ebay, the buy and sell or whatever and you post it to them, do you think it's your responsibility to send another item out to them if An Post or whoever you use to deliver it loose it ?

Interlink are the ones that lost it, not Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jip wrote:
    Answer my question though, doesn't matter that it's not eBay, if you sell something to someone via ebay, the buy and sell or whatever and you post it to them, do you think it's your responsibility to send another item out to them if An Post or whoever you use to deliver it loose it ?

If you sent it to the wrong address over eBay, it'd be your fault. Not giving out to ye, but how the f*ck could it be the couriers fault that you sent the package to the wrong address?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What would happen normally is that you would have to claim off the insurance of the delivery company. As this would take several weeks the shipper will normally arrange a replacement product once the goods have been deemed lost. This is the part you seem to be currently delayed on. Once the courier verifies it is lost, and not just misplaced / delivered then they will probably advise dell.

Ring your credit card company to see if they have any advice. I'm sure they will have come across this type of dispute many times and should be able to provide you with a solution.

Good luck, hope you have something for christmas!

Jip wrote:

I believe eBay's policy is that the seller is responsible for delivery if it is registered. If you insure and register the delivery and An Post loose it then you'll be covered by their insurance. If it's a personal sale then you may not be able to send a replacement as it could be a one off. Also, since you're not a business you may want to ask the buyer if he's willing to wait until you sort it with the post office. If the buyer doesn't want to wait though you should refund him while you wait for An Post to refund you.

Interlink are operating as an agent of Dell in this case so their responsibility is Dells, but Dell retain full responsibility to the buyer as the contract is between them and him.

If deconstruct rings his credit card company he should be able to get it sorted pretty quickly. I'd imagine Dell will be pretty fast to contact him as soon as they see the payment being reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Dells Delivery system is very poor. I've had problems with it myself in the past.

No itisn't reallly. Considering the number of units they ships they actually have a very good record. Besides, they don't actually deliver them.
    jor el wrote:
    This isn't eBay though, and Dell are still responsible for the delivery of what deconstruct paid for. They should organise a replacement immediately and then chase up the recovery of the lost one with Interlink.

If they decided to supply a replacement therewould be a wait of at least 2 weeks. Each system is made to order remember. There aren't any spares lying around in Limerick.
    jor el wrote:
    Dell have admitted that it was delivered to the wrong address so it's not as if they're contesting anything. This is very poor service on their part, but not at all surprising I'm afraid.

I am sorry but I disagree. The fastest way to resolve this issue is to get the original system delivered to the correct address. Assuming that it has not been opened by the mistaken addressee, recovery and redelivery is the fastest option.

Trying to resolve a customers issue by the fastest method possible is good service. No?

MrP

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

As a gesture of goodwill Dell may send a new system but as a business with cut-throat margins they need to ensure that Interlink have lost (or accept liability) for the unit and thus its safe to send one out.

For all Dell know you may be a scammer. They are not like Play - if after 14 days your dvd doesn't arrive they'll bang out a new one (love to know how often that happens).

Interlink aren't Dell's agents - they are a separate company who have been contracted to perform this task for Dell just like they perform similar tasks for other people.

Regarding eBay many sellers (private/business) won't send out a new item or refund until after they get compo from Royal Mail.

EDIT: BTW I can imagine how p***ed off you are waiting for this shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

parsi wrote:
    As a gesture of goodwill Dell may send a new system but as a business with cut-throat margins they need to ensure that Interlink have lost (or accept liability) for the unit and thus its safe to send one out.

For all Dell know you may be a scammer. They are not like Play - if after 14 days your dvd doesn't arrive they'll bang out a new one (love to know how often that happens).

Interlink aren't Dell's agents - they are a separate company who have been contracted to perform this task for Dell just like they perform similar tasks for other people.

Regarding eBay many sellers (private/business) won't send out a new item or refund until after they get compo from Royal Mail.

EDIT: BTW I can imagine how p***ed off you are waiting for this shipment.

Exactly Dell actually have to go to interlink and request a proof of delivery to see who they delivered it to and try track it down. If it has gone to someone who shouldnt have gotten it and they cant get it back they will send you out a new system and interlink will pay for the lost laptop.

You need to remember that its the christmas period and its pretty hectic at the momentt. What you can do is cancel the order and get refunded or be patient im sure if its a christmas present they will work to get the system to you ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My brothers and I ordered a new PC for my mother on the 4th December and it was delivered on the 11th December. Interlink had phoned ahead to make sure there would be someone available to accept shipment. Thats damn good, fast and efficient service and behalf of Dell and Interlink.

When I bought my own PC 3 years ago, it was also delivered inside a week and the courier (Interlink) couldn't have been nicer. He even waited while I unpacked it to make sure everything was there (even though it wouldn't have been his fault if Dell had left out the keyboard, mouse etc).

My only problem with Dell is that I took out their extended 3 year warranty and on the two occasions I've contacted their "Help" desk, the Indian guy (as I believe its in India) strutted out stock replies to me and couldn't think outside the box - talk about a bloody waste of time. It was like dealing with a bloody robot (and I'm not being racist here but if you set up a call centre, at least have people who can actually help you as opposed to pissing you off). I ended up getting my brother to help fix the PC (which he never lets me forget!!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Never buy 3 year warranties off Dell, they are grossly overpriced like every other Dell extra and the support for an Inspiron or Dimension is a clueless script jockey in Bangalore as you found out.

You might as well ask the wall to fix it , they will end up restoring the PC if you let them and will lose every bit of data you have on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Never buy 3 year warranties off Dell, they are grossly overpriced like every other Dell extra and the support for an Inspiron or Dimension is a clueless script jockey in Bangalore as you found out.

You might as well ask the wall to fix it , they will end up restoring the PC if you let them and will lose every bit of data you have on it .
    Your preaching to the converted Bob - I wasted a lot of money on the 3 year warranty that, when I needed it, turned out to be next to useless. The brother knows how much I paid for the warranty and thats probably why he wants to get paid for fixing the pc.:D

Advertisement