Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El league membership

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pighead wrote:
    And Gimmick would you ever grow up. "Oh I met a Dundalk man and he was horrible, they're obviously all barbarians" Yeah well in that case, you're Eddie Hobbs, you fcuking wreck my head.

Once yes, thats right, I once met one Dundalk fan who was a very angry person. I was only ever at one game involving Dundalk, and they only had one fan with them.

Put simply, everytime I have seen Dundalk at Cobh or Cork City, they have always been a very aggressive bunch, and its not just the kids, its rather embarrassingly, the older fans ie those in their 40s and 50s. Maybe its only the away fans who give the others a bad name, and I am over reacting, but I have no love for, nor ever likely to have any love for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Thanks for the all the wellwhishers I'm sorry that Dundalk didnt get to up, your away fans where a credit to the league and im sure you'll make the 1st div your own next year

Naturally im delighted but my deepest comiserations to all those at DFC.Ye're fans are a credit to ye're club and i do feel for yee.
    here's hoping Dundalk walk the 1st next year.

The above are just a couple of quotes from Galway fans on oriel web yesterday. Like the FAI I have a feeling your memory is relying to much on stuff that happened in 2002. Like every club Dundalk has had a scumbag element to its supporters but in recent years the yobs have more or less disappeared. Stop living in the past Gimmick. Good lad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

gimmick wrote:
    Once yes, thats right, I once met one Dundalk fan who was a very angry person. I was only ever at one game involving Dundalk, and they only had one fan with them.

Put simply, everytime I have seen Dundalk at Cobh or Cork City, they have always been a very aggressive bunch, and its not just the kids, its rather embarrassingly, the older fans ie those in their 40s and 50s. Maybe its only the away fans who give the others a bad name, and I am over reacting, but I have no love for, nor ever likely to have any love for Dundalk.

I work with a guy who's involved at Cobh. He reckon's Dundalk have some of the best away support in the league. He's also disappointed with the way this has gone from their point of view, that they had a shout for the top flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Pighead wrote:
    So just for the record, are you saying you agree wholeheartedly with the way the FAI have handled this whole affair and that they are 100% completely blameless for any confusion ambiguity or bad feeling that has occured this season?
    No I'm saying that the FAI laid down the criteria months ago and Dundalk didn't make it.

That's a statement of fact, you can't disagree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

No I'm saying that the FAI laid down the criteria months ago and Dundalk didn't make it.

That's a statement of fact, you can't disagree with it.

did they reveal exactly the weighting of each category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

event wrote:
    did they reveal exactly the weighting of each category?
    I am not sure to be honest.

I fail to see how it is all the FAI's fault (as usual) that certain clubs didn't meet the required criteria. Should the clubs themselves not shoulder any of the blame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I am not sure to be honest.

I fail to see how it is all the FAI's fault (as usual) that certain clubs didn't meet the required criteria. Should the clubs themselves not shoulder any of the blame?

well i would like to see how they weighted this criteria

as in, on what counts did dundalk fall down?

will the FAI release this information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It was based over the past 4 years, not 5, as the FAI realised Kildare County were only accepted into the first division 4 seasons ago. Had it been over the 5 years - as we were initially told, Dundalk may have gone up having won the FAI Cup in the season that the FAI decided they weren't going to count anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pighead wrote:
    So just for the record, are you saying you agree wholeheartedly with the way the FAI have handled this whole affair and that they are 100% completely blameless for any confusion ambiguity or bad feeling that has occured this season?

With regards to the formation of the new league, I think they got it right for the most part when it came to the selection process and the teams chosen.

The one place where I think they made a major **** up was in playing the promotion/relegation game, which only served to give false hope to Dundalk fans once they won. Those games were pointless - one of the few things I'd agree with John Gill on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

event wrote:
    well i would like to see how they weighted this criteria

as in, on what counts did dundalk fall down?

will the FAI release this information?

As part of their fair and transparent system they won't be releasing the weighting. The results themselves were released by the individual clubs. Galway scored the most points in the busines/marketing section, I'd be very curious to see how this section was weighted myself. And I'm not running down the hard work plenty of people have done in Galway to get them to this position. I think the FAI should have released this information from the start. If it's all so clear cut then where's the problem in it being released to the fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

It's a pity this is being provided as a basis on which to kick the league for those who would be kicking it whatever it did.
    The process was agreed and signed up to long ago. It's rough on Dundalk, and I certainly would have liked to see them come up, but if they want to point to a flawed process they should have done that at the outset.
    IMO, the farce didn't happen today. It was in the staging of the play-offs.
    Anyhow, Bohs came second overall, which makes a change, and the champions of the defunct league finished last in off-the-field criteria, so the assessors got something right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gimmick wrote:

Still bitter about the League Championship win down in cork 1990/91 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Dundalk were not promoted on footballing merit. They weren't ever promoted - the league in which they finished second was disbanded and a new League has been formed - they haven't been invited to join the top flight of this league. If they had any misgivings about the process, they shouldn't have signed up to it.
    FatherTed wrote:
    Exactly.

What I don't understand is why so many people on here can't get that into their thick skull.
    You're right. People should accept that your business plan is what counts in sport, not what you've done on the field.
    Just proved my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

FatherTed wrote:
    Just proved my point.
    You have no point buddy. What bottlerocket said is whats known as sarcasm.

Advertisement