Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 imode - free napster downloads

• 11-12-2006 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried this? Says on the balance check on PAYG that there's now free Napster downloads with imode on K610im.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It will work with almost any i-mode phone, but the balance check also advertises that the K610im is available online for 149, hence the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Urban Weigl - as far as I know it's only the K610im at the moment.

Gonna try this out now, gonna be fun for the 3 months anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

ciaranfo wrote:
    Urban Weigl - as far as I know it's only the K610im at the moment.

Gonna try this out now, gonna be fun for the 3 months anyway :)

Ok so the free trial is 3 months? Where is this stated on the website?

It's til Feb 1st. My mistake, 2 months. Says it when you subscribe, not checked the website.

I like how O2 are getting into the multimedia thing .. and they don't charge you for the data downloads once you've bought the songs either unlike how they do with the Sky News video clips!

The subscription thing looks a little odd though ... from my reading you can't download more than 6 songs a month then...

ciaranfo wrote:
    It's til Feb 1st. My mistake, 2 months. Says it when you subscribe, not checked the website.

So do they have alof of tunes? What will it cost from Feb on?

• Advertisement

I'm just looking through it myself .. one thing I notice is that it's a little slow loading, will let you know! From my understanding it's the same database as the web version of Napster, but not confirmed.

Tried to download Read my Mind by The Killers there .. it's a .3gp file and it's 1MB. So it's not full MP3 quality or sized files from what I can see. Quality seems pretty good, and I've sent an email off to Napster to ask about the limit being 6 songs per month and how large their database is.

++ edit ++
    Just to clarity, the quality does seem great on it.. I'm not confused as to why they're not 4MB MP3 files as you might expect. I guess mobile files for mobile devices. Took about a minute or less to download the song (only got one so far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Perhaps they're using AAC or even eAAC+? These file formats have better sound quality at smaller file sizes. The library size is 2 million according to the page about it on i-mode.

There are using 3gpp, which in my opinion doesnt justify them to compare their service with iTunes etc, where you get REAL mp3 files. Napster on imode even says that I have "2 mp3 credits" left to download with my current package, but mp3 is not analogous with "music file" yet... :)

The ones on O2 Active let you download a copy on your home PC too, does the imode one let you do this yet?

ciaranfo wrote:
    The ones on O2 Active let you download a copy on your home PC too, does the imode one let you do this yet?

No you can't which adds to the rubbishness of the service.. You even have to pay for browsing the Napster site, so you can spend a small fortune in gprs traffic before you find the track you wanna download. It should be free to browse, tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement