Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok so what was your Game of the year and most disappointing Game on the 360

• 11-12-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭

I said I'd kick this off as it can help people who are buying 360's over the next couple of weeks to avoid the crap and buy the best.

Best game for me was Gears of War, its the first game that really shows off what the 360 can do and looks amazing on a HD display.

Worst game for me was any of the launch games have to say Project Gotham Racing was a big dissapointment for me, maybe I was expecting more for a next gen game, but felt it didn't have a patch on say Gran Turismo 4.

Special mentions must go out to Table Tennis & Fight night two great sports sims. I also got great enjoyment out of Hitman as well.

So what do others think?

Thanks

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Worst game i played was that sonic it was pure crap i havent played a game that bad in years thank god i didnt buy it.

Highlights were GOW, Table Tennis and GRAW were my top 3 of this year. With Gears the best.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

gears of war is the best looking and a great game to play but it lacks a bit on the multiplayer side and comes in 2nd to rainbow six vegas on my list due to rs:v's better multiplayer options that give it more longevity .

my most disappointing game on the 360 is cod3 due to the multiplayer problems as i was so looking forward to it .

the worse game i'v played on the 360 so far has to be over g , what a stinker that was.

i have to give lego star wars 2 a big thumbs up also for being so much fun to play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Gears of War and Prey are my favourites of the year that I've played. Not sure about the worst game I played, I didn't play many that I thought were absolutely rubbish, but Perfect Dark was a bit of a disappointment for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Best... It'll probably be gears of war when I finally get it next week (damn you exams). Wasn't overly impressed with any of the other games I've bought this year. Oblivion, Test Drive Unlimited, Prey, Saints Row, Table Tennis, Call of Duty 3, Pro Evo 6. Good but not great.

The worst I played this year had to be the Godfather. Looked crap and played crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

best without a doubt is gears of war :) but hitman proved to be a surprising treat. I recently got saints row, splinter cell and soon to get rainbow six but havnt got time to play any of them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oblivion for me, wasted alot of hours on that.
    Tough to seperate gears of war from it though
    as they are both very different games. So to close to
    call for me.

Biggest let down for me was tomb raider and hitman
    got bored of them very quickly.

Saints row and dead rising also deserve mention as 2 quality games
    this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

gears of war wins for me, but i have to say (against the grain it seems), saints row was disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Oblivion was the best game for me.Haven't played gears of war yet gettin it for christmas:D .Worst were Sonic(utter ****e) and Dead or alive 4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In terms of hours wasted Oblivion wins for me by a long way and the award for good, clean, honest fun goes to Lego Star Wars II.

The worst game that I played has to be DOA4, but that could be because I just don't get those button mashing games, although the bounciness did keep my interest for a full 2 seconds longer than it should have done before I got rid of it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Good Topic.
    Yeah, I have to say, I've bought like over 25 games at this point, haven't even had enough time to play any of them.
    No major dissappointments, tomb raider was far too short for me, although I enjoyed it. Fight night I think was one of the best graphically. Table Tennis, was a lovely idea and pulled off nicly, playing through gears of war at the mo and enjoying it. Oh and have been playing some split screen co-op rainbow six and its brilliant fun. Pro evo lacks alot of features, but its still got that solid gameplay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Best: GoW
    Worst: DoA4, but that was last year I think, this year probably Tomb Raider.

Also loved GRAW, Oblivion, Prey, Dead Rising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Best Gears of War... But then it is the only game I have... :(

Cant help but notice no one has picked Viva Pinata. Was thinking of buying that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Game I've played most: Hexic :D I just love it. I know it’s the free game and indeed it’s an old game that you can play on the web over MSN but I love just playing it for a few minutes or maybe longer if I’m trying to chase one of the lad’s scores! [One of my old work mates has massive scores on all 3 modes, I'll beat him one day, as god as my wittness - and therein lies the joy of Live and the Arcade in general!]

The two games I keep going back to again and again are PGR3 and Tiger 07. I've not played the last couple of versions of either game so both are quite fresh. That said I can’t putt for sh1t in Tiger, which is annoying, Im too good for the easy game and not good enough to win on medium/normal! But that’s more my own fault than the game init :)

Game that is Brilliant but I really can’t get into: Gears of War! I totally understand it’s very good, but I’m into the 3rd chapter and its just hard work. I don’t find it a massive amount of fun. I'll get back to it when I get my HD TV, and finish it [maybe]. I'm also going to give co-op single player a bash over live..

Waste of Money: Fight Night Round 3 - bought it second hand for 30 quid, played it for 4 total hours over 3 days, and I have all the achievements bar 1 [7 out of 8] and have won two world titles! Far too easy, what makes me laugh, as I was told it was much harder than last year’s game! Don’t bother! [Maybe borrow from a mate if you have to play it]

Over rated: Table Tennis - I understand its 'interesting' and novel/different but I just don’t see it as a good game for a next gen console tbh and never one I would play more than once or twice. The only people I know who have played it beyond an hour or two are those sad folks who are seeking achievment points at all costs

[I just started playing Viva Pinata last night – it kept me up till near 1am! So that’s a good start!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Worst game for me was any of the launch games have to say Project Gotham Racing was a big dissapointment for me, maybe I was expecting more for a next gen game, but felt it didn't have a patch on say Gran Turismo 4.

You're comparing 2 different types of racing games here. :rolleyes:

Worst game: chromehounds, biggest pile of cack ever.

Best game: Rainbow Six:Las Vegas

PGR3 is probably my most played game, have a ridiculous amount of hours in the game, prob near 200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

Best game for me was/ and is R6 Vegas with Gears following a close second.

Other really good games ive played: Pro Evo 6, Splinter Cell: Double Agent (hasent been metioned yet?)

Worst Game: Perfect Dark 0 - Big disappointment as I was looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

best: gears of war

worst: saints row, absolute rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Best Game: Gears of War
    Honourable Mentions: Oblivion and FEAR.

Most Disappointing Game (as opposed to worst): Call of Duty 3

Worst Game: DOA 4
    Dishonourable mention: Quake 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I love the driving games. Best game - Need for Speed Most Wanted (so much better than Need for Speed Carbon.

Worst game - Kameo or PDZ. Both rubbish.

Playing a lot of Lego Star Wars II with my son. Great game.

Cheers
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hmm, hard to pick, but it would be between Gears, Oblivion and Viva Pinata (so much fun).

Most disappointing was probably DOA4, was looking forward to a good fighting game and this game was, to be frank, pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Best game would have to be either GOW or Oblivion.
    Haven't played much DOA, seeing as my console is in Germany getting repaired but what i have played is amazing. And with Oblivion, any game that gets me 150+ hours game play speaks for itself.

As for worst, probably probably Chrome hounds.
    Didn't buy it, but played it and found it to be sh*te.

P.S: For all the DOA haters. It's just a different kinda fighter. It's not the kinda game that can be played like Teken or Soul Caliber.
    It's all about reversing your opponents moves. To call it a button basher is the furthest thing from the truth, as it's one of the hardest beat-em-ups to pick up. Very like Virtua fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Game of the year: None.

Most disapointing: Splinter Cell DA - 360 version is a totally different game from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube version. Nice to look at, but too easy, too short.
    Choosing between 'good' and 'bad' had little effect on the game either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've finally decided to get the Smyths bundle. These are the games that come with it:

Gears of War
    Lego Star Wars II Trilogy
    FIFA 2007
    Project Gothem Racing 3
    Xbox Live Unplugged Arcade Vol 1

GOW definitely sounds impressive. I'll be also wanting a football game and a car game so I'm happy with FIFA and PGR3. What are the other 2 games like?

tbh, just looking at the names I amn't impressed. :)
    I can't say I have any interest in Lego or Star Wars.

The Arcade thing I can't complain about tbh as it might aswell be free with the bundle. :)

So what's this Lego game like and would Smyths let me swap it for another game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmy

BEST - COD3 (But thought 2 was even better), GOW, GRAW and the surprise hit for me was the totally addictive Lego Star Wars 2....bloody brilliant.

WORST - GUN was a little cack, Far Cry a disappointment and top of the pile of port-a-loo shyte is Chromehounds which both sucks and blows.....which is a pretty impressive feat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Karmafaerie,
    I think you might be dismissing people's dislike for DOA unjustly. I get the impression you think none of us know how to play it, and that we're all wrong. It's a matter of taste/opinion, some of us think it's a bad game, that doesn't mean we're wrong.

eirebhoy,
    If they don't let you swap LW SW2, PM me. Maybe we could swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eirebhoy wrote:
    So what's this Lego game like and would Smyths let me swap it for another game?

Lego S W II Review

Smyths phone number 018782878 (Jervis st)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Best: Saints Row (in terms of how long I spent playing it, and the overall longevity, playability and replayability of the game)

Worst: GRAW (in terms of how utterly useless I was at it :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

koneko wrote:
    Karmafaerie,
    I think you might be dismissing people's dislike for DOA unjustly. I get the impression you think none of us know how to play it, and that we're all wrong. It's a matter of taste/opinion, some of us think it's a bad game, that doesn't mean we're wrong.

I'm not saying that personal taste doesn't come into it, but there were a few comments that either referred to it as a button basher, or that stated they were hoping for a good beat-em-up.
    DOA is one of the most comlicated beat-em-ups out there, so I'd hardly call it a button basher.

It just seems to me that people were hoping it wold be like Tekken.
    Comparing Tekken to DOA is like comparing PG3 to GT4, they're both completely different, and good in their own ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

How do you find the amount of hours played per game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

How do you find the amount of hours played per game?

Some games tell you how long you've been playing in their options or other places.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Oblivion tells you how long you've been playing each game for in the save/ load game dialog and I'm up to about 175 over a couple of characters in that. I've not found the same stat in any of my other titles yet but just at a guess none of them will be anywhere near as long as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Best: Fight Night and GOW

Worst: PDZ

Most disapointed in PGR3. good gameplay but the UI drove (:D ) me mad.
    Trying to set up a 2 player game is a nightmare, no 4 player and only one person can pick a car at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

eirebhoy wrote:

Gears of War
    Lego Star Wars II Trilogy
    FIFA 2007
    Project Gothem Racing 3
    Xbox Live Unplugged Arcade Vol 1

That is a quality bundle mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

best games: NBA 2k7, GOW and multiplayer COD3(I just love the the player matches, pity about the ranked matches)

Suprising: Fifa07, plays really well, compared to last few attempts and the graphics are top notch compared to PE, but it has a few leagues cut out.
    Lego Star wars II, loved it, didn't think it would be that good, great for two player also.

Disapointing: PE6, it was a really bad port, lacking features and grphics were last gen, might aswell just play it on the PS2

Worst: None yet(all games i buy i play demo first or read a 100 reviews), but I have played a few bad demos like that chromehounds game, superman was a bit of a disapointment so much potential but the story in in sucked. There are probably a few more that my brain decided to block out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That is a quality bundle mate.
    In the end I didn't even ask about swapping as the Lego Star Wars got excellent reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Gears of war and rainbow six are the two best games of the year ,in having so much fun playing rainbow its unbelievable .Gears is great but rainbow six is on a par .

Worst game was far cry and The outfit far cry was a joke !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Best Gears of War... But then it is the only game I have... :(

Cant help but notice no one has picked Viva Pinata. Was thinking of buying that :D

Viva Pinata gets my vote. Pure class, definitely invest in it. My girlfriend looks at me funny when I play it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Okay best game has to be Gears of War, most disappointing is a draw between Prey and PDZ. There not terrible games, but there only average sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Game of the year for me is Gears Of War. A revelation in graphical design, gameplay and could help change the way we play our shooters from now on.

Ive only been playing xbox 360 since christmas day, and i must have gotten alot of good games cause i havent been dissapointed. But id say the most frustrating games i have are dead rising,splinter cell and rainbow six vegas.

Why you might ask?

You get so far into it, die unfortuantly,unluckily or whatever, and are thrown back miles. Its extremely annoying, especially in dead rising where you might lose yourself on a roll when your saving people or killing, die and find your a good 40 minutes back, very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

But id say the most frustrating games i have are dead rising,splinter cell and rainbow six vegas.

Why you might ask?

You get so far into it, die unfortuantly,unluckily or whatever, and are thrown back miles. Its extremely annoying, especially in dead rising where you might lose yourself on a roll when your saving people or killing, die and find your a good 40 minutes back, very frustrating.

Yes, I must admit I'm a save whore, and I like to save whenever I want to. I hate all this "Checkpoint" bullsh1t. That said though, I'm not sure why Splinter Cell is annoying you for this - it has checkpoints, but you can actually save it whenever you want too.

Game of the year for me is, like nearly everyone else, Gears of War with an honourable mention for Table Tennis - great game that's fun and easy to learn but hard to master. Plus it's the only game my wife will play with me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Best - Call of Duty 3 or RB6 Vegas

Worst - Sonic, absolute pile of ****e, very little right with it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Gears of War was my most disappointing game...just can't see what the fuss is all about.. Shoot hide shoot hide etc...
    Best for me are Tiger woods 2007 and Oblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've only had my 360 since last week, and only have 2 games for it - PGR3 and GRAW, but I'm addicted to PGR3 on Live. Just can't put it down. GRAW is pretty good too but I suck at it, too conditioned towards keyboard and mouse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Honestly, I can't pick just one. So I'll list a few :)

Best Game(s): Gears of War, Tiger Woods 2007, Rainbow Six: Vegas

Worst Games(s): Sonic the Hedgehog, Need for Speed

Most Disappointing Game(s): Superman Returns, Pro Evolution Soccer 6

Surprisingly Good Game(s): FIFA 07, Tony Hawks Project 8, Amped 3

Game(s) I Really Should Finish: Saints Row, Dead Rising, FEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Oblivion for me:). Looks and plays great. I can't comment on GOW as I havent played it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Got gears of war and pgr3 with my 360 for xmas, pgr3 is an awesome game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best: Dead Rising. Flawed, not anything special to look at and with incredibly frustrating survivor AI. However this was all negated by how much fun it was. Loving every minute of it.

Most Disappointing: Gears of War. It maybe the best looking game I've ever played but other than that it's nothing special. Combat gets dull after prolonged play and the attempts at adding variety don't always work. Co-op is good but doesn't alleviate the repetition. It definitely isn't a bad game by any means. I just don't understand how it can be getting so many game of the year awards when so many better games were released this year. Also only 2 player deathmatch on one console is a travesty.

Worst: DOA4. Complete thrash. DOA has gone downhill since DOA2. The counter system is so easy to master that fights become a farce with players afraid to strike since they will almost certainly get countered. The cheap cheating AI adds the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm with you RetroGamer I think the game GOW is utter Rubbish..
    The only thing that impressed me was the smoke effects and Texture details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Oblivion is the only game that I really spent a lot of time on. the problem I have with the xbox is it has too many games that youll play for a short time and not touch again.

I also loved the splinter cell multiplayer. very fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Worst: DOA4. Complete thrash. DOA has gone downhill since DOA2. The counter system is so easy to master that fights become a farce with players afraid to strike since they will almost certainly get countered. The cheap cheating AI adds the final nail in the coffin.

I've played a lot of DOA since 2 on the Dreamcast and if anything countering has gotten harder, they've narrowed the window in which it'll be successful and also made the counter for a middle kick -> + free rather than back which meant in 2 all you had to do was constantly press <- + free and 50% of the time you'd counter. The skill is in timing your combos and mixing attack heights. Also while I'll freely admit that I've had problems with Alpha-152, (like 2 rounds with Spartan:( on time attack) I still think Shao Kahn in UMK3 is a cheaper boss.

My best game of the year: Viva Pinata. Completely lived up to my fairly high expectations from e3 and then some. Depth most people wouldn't expect. DR close second. Also, I really respect both these games' dev teams for their interesting use of achievements.

Most disappointing: FNR3, Not a bad game but I got sick of it pretty fast, especially the ridiculously poor single player mode. Only time it comes out of the box is when the lads want to play some multiplayer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement