Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable size from meter to fusebox?

Options
  • 11-12-2006 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi everybody I'm putting down a concrete floor and want to run a cable the right size from the meter at the front of the house to the fusebox location. Was thinking 10mm2 t+e. Havent taken on the services of a sparks yet so cant ask. Anyone on here have any idea?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You will need a 16sq T&E for that.
    If your earth rod is likely to end up out near the meter box then you will also need to run a 10sq single green/yellow with the T&E.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As above, if you're burying it in concrete pull it through a conduit or pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Are you aware of regulations as to the location of your fuseboard? As far as I can remember it has to be within 2 or 3 metres of your front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

As far as I know the board can be anywhere provided that it is not in conflict with any of the regs about wet room zones etc. I have moved them to garages and even a landing. All inspected by RECI.

Its the meter that is a problem to move within the house

Sorry but I don't think that's the case. It's a recent enough reg change though. Maybe it only applies to new builds and not rewires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Its a house we're renovating thats done out in 3 units. Meters come in to 3 breakers, then on to old fuseboxes. I want to have it updated so need to know what cable to run for it all to be linked back up. At the moment it comes in from the meters on what looks like 10mm2, then from the breakers its the same, maybe smaller. I'll leave a few metres either end of the 16sq for em to play with. Dont understand why I need to run a separate earth cable though? Surely any fault should travel back to the breaker and on to the rod?:confused:

A fault doesn't travel back to the breaker, it travels on the earth cabel back to the main earth bar in a fuse board and the 10sq earth runs from the same earch bar direct to the earth rod outside. What kind of cookers/showers do you have in the units? Are you just renovating the three units to be rented as units again?

Ah,so theres a separate earth then for each fusebox clamped to the one earth rod. I thought the earth on the cable from the fusebox to the meter/breaker before the meter would be on the rod. Dont know what type of cookers or showers yet, but I can run the cables for them in the walls. Yeah just renovating to be re-let. Place is horrible!

FX Meister wrote:
    Sorry but I don't think that's the case. It's a recent enough reg change though. Maybe it only applies to new builds and not rewires.

Think so, any rewire I have done, I have put the board wherever the customer wanted it. No probs with RECI. Last guy I did one for wanted it under the stairs, I said no but RECI said there was no reg against it. I was a bit shocked. Talked him out of it anyway.

Always consulted with the ESB regarding relocating meters Overheads coming into the houses etc.

I thought that if there were multiple boards and meters a seperate rod is required for each one? Would have to look that one up.

Its a house we're renovating thats done out in 3 units. Meters come in to 3 breakers, then on to old fuseboxes. I want to have it updated so need to know what cable to run for it all to be linked back up. At the moment it comes in from the meters on what looks like 10mm2, then from the breakers its the same, maybe smaller. I'll leave a few metres either end of the 16sq for em to play with. Dont understand why I need to run a separate earth cable though? Surely any fault should travel back to the breaker and on to the rod?:confused:

You have a multi meter situation which will probably be treated differently by the ESB than it was before. Don't assume you can retain the existing metering arrangement.
    You need to get an electrical contractor involved now.
    Back to your original query, 10sq T&E is acceptable for a 50amp supply to a one or 2 bed apartment unless you have storage heating.
    You won't need a separate earth wire to each apartment, the earth in the T&E will be adequate.
    You will need a 10sq from the earth rod to the main earth bar which will be at the meter location.

We are all having difficulties with the ESB at present so you can be fairly sure that if you plan the job yourself it will be wrong.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that hoagy, looks like I dont need to do too much messing. Better run draw cables anyway just in case!

Beach Head wrote:
    Think so, any rewire I have done, I have put the board wherever the customer wanted it. No probs with RECI. Last guy I did one for wanted it under the stairs, I said no but RECI said there was no reg against it. I was a bit shocked. Talked him out of it anyway.

Always consulted with the ESB regarding relocating meters Overheads coming into the houses etc.

I thought that if there were multiple boards and meters a seperate rod is required for each one? Would have to look that one up.
    Yeah it's just for new builds. I didn't think RECI would allow a board under the stairs though but if they said it was cool I would make sure to have the guys name who said so.

FX Meister wrote:
    Yeah it's just for new builds. I didn't think RECI would allow a board under the stairs though but if they said it was cool I would make sure to have the guys name who said so.

I didnt think so either, and I am the sort who if I can avoid it wouldnt even install one under a bathroom. What RECI actually said about the stairs was that there was no reg against it and they couldnt prevent it being installed there but they would not recommend it.

Beach Head wrote:
    I What RECI actually said about the stairs was that there was no reg against it .

They could look at 538.2.1 for a start.

"It (distribution board) shall not be installed in a location or a position where it might be a fire hazard. Such situations include:
    - storage or airing cupboards
    - under timber staircases
    - where it might be covered by garments."

I certainly wouldn't rely on RECI for interpretations of the Wiring Rules.

Good Man Hoagy. I will post up reg interpretation questions on boards in future instead of contacting my local rep.

Advertisement