Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Goes To Show, What We Have To Put Up With!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I should have included Murders in Clare and Croom then also, shouldn't I! No pint over arguing about exact figures anyway is there.

Ahh, as I said the any murders reported in the garda annual report as being in the Limerick garda district do include murders in Clare and Croom
    Think you are missing the point anyway. Dublin and Limerick are undoubtably the black spots when it comes to organised crime. Living neutrally I see a lot more news of Dublin than Limerick and I don't see anyone there blaming the media.

No, I believe you are missing the point.
    Seeing as crime in Dublin areas is 3-5 times that of the national average, of which Limerick is right on.
    We're not talking about whether there is more reporting of crime in Dublin or not, only that there seems to be nothing but reporting of crime in Limerick, and that stories that get ignored in Dublin, would gather national outcry if they happened in Limerick.

The story mentioned in that article of the man who walked into a rugby club in Dublin and stabbed five people is a perfect example of this.
    That story was never reported in its own right, while if it had happened in Limerick there would have been nothing short of a media lynching.
    Reporting like this is a disgrace and is as damaging to this city as the crime itself.

You'd be better served promoting all the good stuff that happens in Limerick, Munster rugby, Best University campus in the land, the music and craic in the city, and the low city centre crime rates etc..rather than bashing the national media. You just leave yourself open to more slagging off!

I'm sorry to have to remind you LAP, but you yourself have seen what happens when we try and highlight our good points.
    You've posted in a thread on the very subject.
    Limerick has tried to highlight rugby, and straight away, some papers choose to drag the usual lies about crime back into it.

How many people who read this tripe are likely to take a family trip to Limerick?
    I've lost count of the amount of times that people have told me that they wouldn't feel safe in Limerick.
    When I was a kid, I had friends living in Finglas who's parents wouldn't let them visit me cause they were too scared!:mad:

Limerick is an amazing city, with a lot to offer, but scare mongering, and outright lying such as this causes people to not come to our city.
    Limerick looses out on tourist revenues, which means the people of Limerick loose out.
    That's what this post is about in the first place remember!

The crime in Limerick is on a par with all of the country bar Dublin, and I would like to see it tackled on a national scale, as it effects the whole country.
    We suffer for crimes that happen in Dublin, Cork, Sligo, Mayo etc, and they suffer from crimes that happen here.

Limerick however is the only county that suffers on both a national, and international level because of the crap printed in these rags.

I love Limerick, and I'm entitled to be offended, and annoyed by its degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Ahh, as I said the any murders reported in the garda annual report as being in the Limerick garda district do include murders in Clare and Croom

No, I believe you are missing the point.
    Seeing as crime in Dublin areas is 3-5 times that of the national average, of which Limerick is right on.
    We're not talking about whether there is more reporting of crime in Dublin or not, only that there seems to be nothing but reporting of crime in Limerick, and that stories that get ignored in Dublin, would gather national outcry if they happened in Limerick.

The story mentioned in that article of the man who walked into a rugby club in Dublin and stabbed five people is a perfect example of this.
    That story was never reported in its own right, while if it had happened in Limerick there would have been nothing short of a media lynching.
    Reporting like this is a disgrace and is as damaging to this city as the crime itself.

I'm sorry to have to remind you LAP, but you yourself have seen what happens when we try and highlight our good points.
    You've posted in a thread on the very subject.
    Limerick has tried to highlight rugby, and straight away, some papers choose to drag the usual lies about crime back into it.

How many people who read this tripe are likely to take a family trip to Limerick?
    I've lost count of the amount of times that people have told me that they wouldn't feel safe in Limerick.
    When I was a kid, I had friends living in Finglas who's parents wouldn't let them visit me cause they were too scared!:mad:

Limerick is an amazing city, with a lot to offer, but scare mongering, and outright lying such as this causes people to not come to our city.
    Limerick looses out on tourist revenues, which means the people of Limerick loose out.
    That's what this post is about in the first place remember!

The crime in Limerick is on a par with all of the country bar Dublin, and I would like to see it tackled on a national scale, as it effects the whole country.
    We suffer for crimes that happen in Dublin, Cork, Sligo, Mayo etc, and they suffer from crimes that happen here.

Limerick however is the only county that suffers on both a national, and international level because of the crap printed in these rags.

I love Limerick, and I'm entitled to be offended, and annoyed by its degradation.

The guy din't walk into a rugby club and stab five people. Five members of a rugby club were stabbed on the street outside a club near Rathmines. I know that cause I read it in the national news papers and saw a report about it on the RTE news. And don't kid yourself the gangland crime is worse in both Limerick and Dublin than anywhere else. So you'd be better off focusing your frustration on them. I am quite a fan of Limerick too! But do get tired of all the negativity coming out of the place from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I don't know if this is any consolation but I lived in London for 11 years and when I used to fly home to Ireland for Holidays with my family (late 80's early 90's) - work colleagues in "the Big City" with supposedly "big mentality" would say things like ............. "ooh aren't you brave going home?" - my reply "what do you mean brave?" - the cityslickers reply "oh you know with all those bombs and shootings all over the country" .....................

The debates I would get into trying to explain there were 26 other counties in Ireland etc. A bit like the American student - though, no thanks to the Dubs - obviously trying to down play the problems in their own city!

You're going through the same crap - because of problems with one or two housing estates your whole City/County has been tarnished. And you end up trying to justify what your city has.

It's up to a) the government to put extra gardai/special task forces out on the street - as they promised last election they would increase the gardai force - and will again promise as another election draws near. b) the tourist board to promote the beautiful parts of the city - and c) the people of Limerick to just say "enough is enough" - pound on your local representatives/Councillor's/TD's doors and demand they do something NOW. They'll all come knocking at your doors in a few months looking for a vote - so start shouting - tell them you want more than promises - you want results now.

I also remember that towards the mid-end of the 90's before I left London - being Irish was the coolest thing - and everyone was going to Ireland for breaks - a combination of the Celtic Tiger's offsprings i.e. "Riverdance", "The Corrs/Cranberries/U2" and O'Neill's bars going up all over the UK!!!

Hopefully some day soon - these bad times will just be a distant memory!

Advertisement