Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old house walls and damp

Options
  • 11-12-2006 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm getting greedy now 2 threads on the go.
    Working on an old house and one wall beside an old firebreast is soaking the whole time. Apart from knocking the wall and putting in a damp course whats the best thing to do? If I batten it and plasterboard I'll only get mould wont I? I thought about maybe the injectable damp proofng but have heard they are short term, expensive, and unreliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I think you need to find the source of the damp, especially if its very wet, is it on an external wall? if so can you see if a drain pipe is blocked or damaged that could be a likely source.

If its close to the chimney breast, is the flashing where the chimney meets the room damaged or are the tiles near by damaged or missing. Can you inspect the chimney, is the morter missing between the bricks or are the chimney pots damaged or missing.

If the wall is very wet and its not below ground level, you should be able to spot the source of the problem, once sorted you may not have to resort to a damp course.

I had a similar problem with a chimney breast, that turned out to be flashing, i removed the flashing, raked out the joints and refitted the flasing and used fresh morter in the joints - leak gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Thanks Vexorg you've got me thinking now. I think there may be an old clay stormwater pipe around the same location. Interesting. Will have to get on the jackhammer and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Jackhammer - wohoo! :)

Advertisement