Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling baked goods from home

Options
  • 11-12-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone tell me me what are the regulations regarding selling baked goods from a private home. For example, do you need to take a food safety course and get certified by the health board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nycgirl wrote:
    For example, do you need to take a food safety course
    Yes.
    and get certified by the health board?
    I'm not sure who does this. Try talking to CERT www.cert.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭wba88

From my limited knowledge i think u have to defo get certified by the health board but i am open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

wba88 wrote:
    From my limited knowledge i think u have to defo get certified by the health board but i am open to correction

I would think the same, also who are you thinking of supplying the goods to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Victor wrote:
    Yes.I'm not sure who does this. Try talking to CERT www.cert.ie

That website is not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Have you got stainless steel work surfaces?

Two sinks?

HCCAP - training, the list is endless, and don't forget planning permission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nycgirl

BingoBongo wrote:
    Have you got stainless steel work surfaces?

Two sinks?

HCCAP - training, the list is endless, and don't forget planning permission

I don't want to set up an actual retail outlet in my home I just want to take orders from private customers for tarts and bread, scones, Christmas puddings, cakes etc. Is all this still necessary?

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

nycgirl wrote:
    I don't want to set up an actual retail outlet in my home I just want to take orders from private customers for tarts and bread, scones, Christmas puddings, cakes etc. Is all this still necessary?

Thanks for the advice.

Well, if you decide not to and things go pear-shaped for whatever reason (yours or not) the finger will point at you and your insurance may laugh at you.

Start in business as you mean to continue. Do you know anyone with similar businesses? Talk to them.

Also, remember that the courses will be tax-deductable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

nycgirl wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

If you change the use of your property to anything other than a dwelling .ie part bakery you would need planning permission to do so but if its on a small scale I'm sure there's no need. But if you got bigger, and more people calling to your property, delivery vans outside people and neighbours could object.

If you register as a business your open to inspections from goverment bodys.

best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well OP, as you can see from the posts there are many hurdles and loops to be considered and overcome before you can kick start your initiative.

But the tweedle twaddle experts, mostly hiding behind bureacratic hyperbole and policing regulations and safety to protect the greater good, many of which have never started a business, owned a business or worse ever had an idea to start a business. But it is these experts that will ultimately determine what you may/may do in your own sanctuary and so define your destiny.

Good Luck.

Advertisement