Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Vandalised, complete re-spray needed

Options
  • 11-12-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭

I woke up to find my cars paint completely ruined by battery acid/pain remover. My car was deliberately targeted for some unknown reason. To make it worse I only have the car as TPFT so I will have to find the cash myself.

Any suggestions of good places to bring car for re-spray ? Any ball park figures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Any idea who it was? Are you sure the paint is destroyed - give it a good wash and go at it with some rubbing compound first.
    I'd say you're looking at a grand minimum for a full respray from a reputable back-street painter, you'd be best advised to bring the car around to a few bodyshops and get quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Firstly are your in Dublin?

I can give you the number of the guy I use he's generally cheaper then a garage but does a bang up job. Probably call out first to look at the car which saves you the hassle of bringing it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

layke wrote:
    Firstly are your in Dublin?

I can give you the number of the guy I use he's generally cheaper then a garage but does a bang up job. Probably call out first to look at the car which saves you the hassle of bringing it out yourself.

Cost me a grand to get mine done few months back. Boot, Bonnet, two rear quarters, three doors, two front wings.

www.carcraft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

The top layer of paint has cracked and fallen away. It's honestly like a go faster stripe over the middle of the car. Then the door panels for good measure.

I'm in Tallaght so no shock there ! Any Dublin numbers pass them on, i'd be grateful.

I honestly don't have a clue who it was. Car was in the driveway with plenty of other cars around. It was definitely targeted as the others on the road weren't touched. I'm struggling to think of the "why me's?"

As I said in Tallaght so just for the laugh is certainly a possibility.

I'm going to give gerrymaguire.ie a ring and try carcraft. Auto smart systems might be a possibility also but not sure if they do full re-spray.

Thanks for the help so far lads. I'm still kind of in shock and can't really believe it. If I had of recently had a grudge or was banging someone's wife then I'd say fair enough but it's just so unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Gerry Maguire also did a crash repair for me recently. He was recommended by Ballsbridge Motors. He was ching-ching expensive but it was an insurance job on the other parties policy. The spray job was superior with Gerry Maguire but I doubt your avergae punter would notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

ballooba wrote:
    Gerry Maguire also did a crash repair for me recently. He was recommended by Ballsbridge Motors. He was ching-ching expensive

Aye... show him the money.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

What type of car is it? Could be just jealousy.

fletch wrote:
    What type of car is it? Could be just jealousy.

I doubt jealousy as it's only an 04 Ibiza and I have had it almost 3 years without hassle.

I was thinking of buying an RX-8 or a new Leon. Maybe this might give me the push. Would I have any chance of selling Ibiza as is or would I make more doing a respray first ?

If only I knew who it was. I'd show them another use for paint remover. :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:mad: FFS! that is unbelievable. If I caught someone doing that..... Let's just say if they had an organ donor card it would be put to good use. Scum.

As others have said shop around the price can vary hugely and being Ireland paying more does not always mean a superior job.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

There's a guy I know on the Old Bawn Road Companys called Quality Cars, If you passing by call in and ask for Charlie he owns the garage he'll give you a quote and is local.

Just tell him Barry sent you in.

Bazzy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

NiSmO wrote:

I love online rubbernecking!!! :D

OP - sorry to hear about your vandalism. Have there been other attacks like this near you recently? (I am expecting "it's Tallaght, so it's a way of life" answers to this, so please don't bother).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

Fey! wrote:
    I love online rubbernecking!!! :D

OP - sorry to hear about your vandalism. Have there been other attacks like this near you recently? (I am expecting "it's Tallaght, so it's a way of life" answers to this, so please don't bother).

No, none just so strange. I was literally only defending Tallaght the night before to my girlfriend. I've lived here for 22 years and don't generally come across this type of stuff.

There definitely seems to be a jealousy issue with the little scummers. They feel if their too lazy and bone idle to get a good job then nobody should be able to have nice stuff. But it's first time I've seen it ahppen to someone who has grown up in the area. Its normal for people who move into the area to get hassle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

s.welstead wrote:
    Its normal for people who move into the area to get hassle though.

Great I've just moved into Belgard Square

I'd fix it before I sell it if I was you, sure the shiny new paint will probably even get you a quicker sale

Advertisement