Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB after eircom

Options
  • 11-12-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

i'm looking to shake off eircom and go for the 3 meg BT Total talk package, but after searching this forum go knows how many times i cand fnd the anser to my question...

can i keep the eircom netopia modem? i have it over 18 months so is it mine or will i have to send it back?

also, will i get crappy pings on BT? i play a bit of xbox live over it so i'm hoping there'll be no loss

and any other dvice would be appreciated!

Cheers lads i know this comes up quite a bi, but i just couldnt find the modem answer anywhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well when I moved from Eircon I got to keep the modem, that was last year.

I have found the pings better than Eircon's.

I am on 3mb line and it's ace for Xbox Live!

It will take a few days to change over and you will have some down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

how much downtime gt? i've a rake of projects to do, and the net will relieve the boredom of christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 puppydog

god's toy wrote:
    Well when I moved from Eircon I got to keep the modem, that was last year.
    I have found the pings better than Eircon's.

Unless you have loop unbundling with BT, eircom is still your ISP. The only material change is the BT logo on your monthly bill!

PD

VinnyL wrote:
    how much downtime gt? i've a rake of projects to do, and the net will relieve the boredom of christmas!

It was three days only. (I was happy with that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 puppydog

god's toy wrote:
    It was three days only. (I was happy with that)

Why should there be any delay? It only involves a few keyboard clicks to transfer your billing (assuming no LLU) to BT?

PD

• Advertisement

There was LLU...

their website is a joke anywat, tried to order there on Bt's site using the form, the form is all over the shop, fields all over the place. in IE and Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

It took them a month to change over for me to 3mb. dont sign up online ring only - if you sign up online they lose the details (well documented). No problems wth pings for CS Source (PC) or Xbox Live. You can use the eircom modem you just need to get the details from the support site. Make sure to get the details before you change over - i had to go to an internet cafe to get the settings. Mind you if you have a problem with BT forget customer service. Its not available with BT!!! Its worth it for the savings tho.

nice one lads, ah i'm well able to sort out my broadband i'm hoping to be a network engineer in 2 years! :D

as long as i dont have to fork out for another modem i'm happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

god's toy wrote:
    There was LLU...
    I doubt there was LLU involved in a switch from Eircom to BT. The minimum downtime for an LLU transfer is 6 - 8 weeks.

VinnyL, if it's done properly, you should have no downtime. It's only an administrative change.
    Do not cancel Eircom first.
    Contact BT and they will send you a transfer form.
    Send it back and ring them after a couple of days to folow it up.
    Make sure you arrange your username/password when you order.
    You'll get a letter from BT saying your BB is active.
    Enter them into your modem and you should be good to go.

Ask Eircom about the modem after the switch. Technically they own it but they may tell you to keep it. They could bill you for it if they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked your line stats to see if it is up to the 3Mb?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kaizersoze wrote:
    most important, its called a Bitstream Transfer Form. Fax it in to BT before you post it and check they have it and have entered it on the system. If the CS does not know what it is escalate to a supervisor in BT who will know. Downtime should be hours not days.
    kaizersoze wrote:
    Ask Eircom about the modem after the switch. Technically they own it but they may tell you to keep it. They could bill you for it if they wanted.

depends on the package he got from eircom and when , some modems were free once the contract was up. Check Boards for threads around when you signed up for eircom. You can buy a new netopia in pc word or currys, with wireless, in an eircom starter pack for only €25
    dub45 wrote:
    Have you checked your line stats to see if it is up to the 3Mb?
    downstream snr of 25-30db or so , if higher than 30 then its marginal, if over 40 its a no, 2mbit max.

alright lads, cheers!

i've a 2meg connection with eircom at the mo, have the eircom about 18 months if not more, so maybe the modem is not your for the first year or somthing

i'm gonna switch over asap, i'll let ye know how i get on, and cheers for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    New to this thread. I' ve got eircom 2 Mbit package. Started off great (>800kbit) but now completely useless - averaging between 150 to 280 kbit at moment. I'm seriously thinking of goin with BT at their 3MB offer. Is this package any good? There is another outfit called Gaelic Communications or something like that but wasn't satisfied about the service their offering.
    Would appreciate any advice/experiences on the above.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi
    New to this thread. I' ve got eircom 2 Mbit package. Started off great (>800kbit) but now completely useless - averaging between 150 to 280 kbit at moment. I'm seriously thinking of goin with BT at their 3MB offer. Is this package any good? There is another outfit called Gaelic Communications or something like that but wasn't satisfied about the service their offering.
    Would appreciate any advice/experiences on the above.

Changing providers is not necessarily going to solve your problem. What steps have you taken to try and restore the initial speeds you were getting?

What is your set up are you using wireless? Have you checked for virus etc etc

Whats your line stats? Line quality can disimprove quite quickly for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi dub45

I'm using a netopia 3447wg router which also gives me wireless capability in the house. I've done virus checks etc using latest norten and Adaware but have found nothing. All I know is that in the last week or so my line speed has diminished greatly. I recently updated to Explorer 7, would this have anything to do with it?
    Other than that I'm no techie wizard and I've tried numerous attempts to get help from eircoms helpline but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

you can always go back to IE 6 via add/remove programs, give Firefox2 a blast, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

kaizersoze wrote:
    I doubt there was LLU involved in a switch from Eircom to BT. The minimum downtime for an LLU transfer is 6 - 8 weeks.

VinnyL, if it's done properly, you should have no downtime. It's only an administrative change.
    Do not cancel Eircom first.
    Send it back and ring them after a couple of days to folow it up.
    Make sure you arrange your username/password when you order.
    You'll get a letter from BT saying your BB is active.
    Enter them into your modem and you should be good to go.

I'm on LLU now with Magnet and it didn't take 6-8 weeks, Signed up on the 30th Nov and I'm active today.
    As for the modem, I have at least 3 of these Netopia boxes and I'm sure there's a load of people with them. The ones I have are non-wireless tho :(.
    The problem with changing from Eircom to ESAT is that if anything 'strange' happens then you could be left with nothing for weeks while you argue with people on helplines...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bricks wrote:
    I'm on LLU now with Magnet and it didn't take 6-8 weeks,
    Magnet do a "shared" LLU, afaik, where your line stays with Eircom and they take over your BB. They also do full LLU. This process is shorter than full LLU where you have to port or change your number.

Which option did you go for? If it was full LLU then 3 weeks is a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

kaizersoze wrote:
    Magnet do a "shared" LLU, afaik, where your line stays with Eircom and they take over your BB. They also do full LLU. This process is shorter than full LLU where you have to port or change your number.

Which option did you go for? If it was full LLU then 3 weeks is a record.

They asked if I wanted to port the old number and I said no. The line now has no dial tone. I just get BB. The analog phone has to be plugged into the Modem to use VOIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement