Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best grunt diesel engine?

Options
  • 11-12-2006 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Is there an all round great diesel engine around at the moment ,
    I was looking for something that has high torque ,more than low noise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

_Brian_ wrote:
    Is there an all round great diesel engine around at the moment ,
    I was looking for something that has high torque ,more than low noise.

BMW 330D or 530D,
    Audi A6 or A8 3.0 TDi,
    VW Toureg 5.0 V10 TDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Volvo S60 D5, 2.5L, 180bhp from the newest engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks gyppo ,baz ,I forgot to say a price range up to 25K or so .
    Doesn't matter how old the engine is .

sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Audi Q7 6.0 V12 TDI - 500hp and 1,000Nm of torque! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Avoid the VW 1.9TDI, it was good in its day, but its day is gone. The current PD version is a bit of a kludge too, with bits from the 2.0TDI, and bits from older generation TDIs. From what I can see there are pretty troublesome too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Mondeo tdci with the 130bhp output, most are 115 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

or even better - Mondeo ST TDCi, rare in Ireland but loads in the UK ripe for import.

2.2-litre turbo producing 155bhp and 265lbs of torque.

55 mpg too......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

ford focus/ peugeot 407 1.6tdci a great all rounder i have 110000 kms on my 05 focus and never had a problem also great for towing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks baz ,always thought the gt tdi looked like a healthy car to drive.
    PM ,the focus 1.6 TDCI sounds like a good matching for the focus ,the focus looks like it needs at least that to hold it.

thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Audi & VW 2.0 TDIs are pretty grunty. The Volvo S40 2.0D is pretty good too - but nothing like the D5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Drove a 530TD estate to the UK and WOW I was very impressed. My neighbour is selling it actually, said they'd take the book value for it. Tis very clean. PM me if you want more into, think it was something around the 20k mark. Id have bought it in a flash for the money but taxing a 3litre doesnt appeal to me! Oh, and I put up 600 miles in my trip to the UK and did all in one tank (Put a tenner in at about 500 miles to be safe though). That's motorway miles, but jeez for a 3litre diesel thats pretty sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pitty this is outside your budget:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=522316

The 1.9 Fiat JTD Multijet common rail diesel engine is a very good unit and has been highly praised by the motoring world. The 150bhp version has lots of torque too. One of these might be within your reach in the new year.

Anyway back to reality. Since your interested in the Focus TDCi have a look at the Mazda 3, it has the same 1.6 diesel engine and chassis as the Focus:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=448032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

BMW 535 turbo diesel twin turbo, you'll have to drive it to believe it, one of the fastest cars I've driven never minding the fact its a diesel.:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've driven a 2001 530d sport auto and that was pretty fast, but i'd say that the 335d / 535d are in another world to compared to most diesels (or cars for that matter!!). The fasted diesel on sale would have to be between the 335d / 535d, A8 4.2 TDI, or possibly the Phaeton V10 TDI.

But if you are looking for a "real world" diesel, I'd rate the 320d quite highly, I've driven a 2001 and a 2005 and the were both suprisingly quick and torquey, especially the new model.

it is a pity Ford don't fit the 109bhp version of the 1.6HDI to the focus anymore. It seems a perfect package: a ford car with a PSA diesel engine.

The 1.8 TDCi is a fine engine too though. A bit less refined, but capable of moving the focus at a satisfactory speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Honda 2.2 diesel produces 250 ft lb of torque and doesn't sound like a bag of spanners.

JHMEG wrote:
    The Honda 2.2 diesel produces 250 ft lb of torque and doesn't sound like a bag of spanners.

It is supposed to be thirsty though? Just what I heard though, so I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

SGKM wrote:
    I've driven a 2001 530d sport auto and that was pretty fast, but i'd say that the 335d / 535d are in another world to compared to most diesels (or cars for that matter!!). The fasted diesel on sale would have to be between the 335d / 535d, A8 4.2 TDI, or possibly the Phaeton V10 TDI.

But if you are looking for a "real world" diesel, I'd rate the 320d quite highly, I've driven a 2001 and a 2005 and the were both suprisingly quick and torquey, especially the new model.

Agreed. 3.0l Bmw engine is amazing, test drove a 330d sport a while back with the Steptronic box, small dealer up the back of JFK drive behind frank keanes had one, amazing motor ridicilous tourque, even more ridicilous price.€67k:eek:

Have an E90 320dse, and it felt slow in comparison after that test drive ...
    Previous car was a Volvo S40 2.0D, less powerful (165 vs. 136Bhp) & noisier, but I miss the seats though.

Now I dream of a 335d coupe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The BMW 2.9l is the best diesel engine in the world. And it has been for many, many years

On a side note, I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the first common rail (=modern) diesel engine. The only one that came to market before BMW, namely the straight 5 Alfa 2.4JTD. The Japs have only recently (after the usual delay) started to play catch-up, with results that are not that impressive imho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

bazz26 wrote:
    The 1.9 Fiat JTD Multijet common rail diesel engine is a very good unit and has been highly praised by the motoring world. The 150bhp version has lots of torque too. One of these might be within your reach in the new year.

I'd personnally recommend it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

unkel wrote:
    The BMW 2.9l is the best diesel engine in the world. And it has been for many, many years

On a side note, I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the first common rail (=modern) diesel engine. The only one that came to market before BMW, namely the straight 5 Alfa 2.4JTD. The Japs have only recently (after the usual delay) started to play catch-up, with results that are not that impressive imho
    Just about to post about that 2.4JTD, but the slightly newer 200bhp one. The older one was a bit less, not sure of exact figure.
    The VW's are far from quiet. The mazda 1.6 engine (also in the Ford) is exceptionally quiet. Beemer engines quiet too, and the 3 litre is impressive for a diesel, twin-turbo one very impressive, but nowhere within an asses roar of your budget. For €25k I'd wait till March next year and find a nice UK 2.2 Accord. The quietest of the bunch, and plenty torquey. Lovely car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The Fiat/Alfa multijet diesel engine is currently considered to be one of the best available.

The current generation of BMW diesels are not far behind.

And for lower tax, insurance and consumption, the 1.6L PSA diesel is your man.

The VAG diesels are, OK....

Ang YES, I have driven them all, quite a bit, and recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

For 25K and all round good powerful enough engine for irish roads and under 2litre for road tax is the BMW 320d sport (150BHP 6 speed) 40 to 75mph faster than most 2 to 2.5L petrols! and high 40's mpg. the 318d is the same size engine but de-tuned, which could be fixed with a chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mc-BigE wrote:
    For 25K and all round good powerful enough engine for irish roads and under 2litre for road tax is the BMW 320d sport (150BHP 6 speed) 40 to 75mph faster than most 2 to 2.5L petrols! and high 40's mpg. the 318d is the same size engine but de-tuned, which could be fixed with a chip.
    True... but what you save in road tax, you'll more than fork out for in BMW parts for servicing!! I still vote the Honda. I find it a better car overall by a good margin than the 3 series. (I'm not talking about the newer model 3 series, as I haven't driven that one, and it's over budget anyway)

Biro wrote:
    True... but what you save in road tax, you'll more than fork out for in BMW parts for servicing!! I still vote the Honda. I find it a better car overall by a good margin than the 3 series. (I'm not talking about the newer model 3 series, as I haven't driven that one, and it's over budget anyway)

There's plenty of independant motor factors to get parts from other than bmw (www.otto.ie is one)

I would say (IMO:) ) that BMW parts are just as expensive as any other parts.

And speaking from experience, if you buy post-2003, you should have very little problems with the 320d if you buy a low mileage good car in the first place, maybe suspension bushes (100 +labour) or Mass Air flow meter (250 + labour)

TBH i haven't driven the new Honda diesels, so i cant compare, but i would say the newer honda for the same money would have a bit more deprecation to do,then a 4 year old 320d in jan07

OP: forgot to add, have a look at

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

for comparisons on different cars, look at the bad & good bits of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

bazz26 wrote:

I agree with this.

This engine is in the new Astra and a remap you give you 200bhp easily.

Otherwise you can buy Astra 888 CDTi with 200bhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I know a guy who is on his second 320d engine !

Nothing but problems and all in 42000 miles, since Jan 2003 !!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the E320cdi ! And nobody here is suyrprised that I did !! :D

The 530d (96-03shape) puts out 184BHP and 288lbs/ft of torque whereas the E320cdi is 197BHP and 347 lbs/ft of torque !

The following link allows you to compare different spec.s

http://www.whatcar.com/car-comparison.aspx

Advertisement