Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best grunt diesel engine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mc-BigE wrote:
    There's plenty of independant motor factors to get parts from other than bmw (www.otto.ie is one)

I would say (IMO:) ) that BMW parts are just as expensive as any other parts.

And speaking from experience, if you buy post-2003, you should have very little problems with the 320d if you buy a low mileage good car in the first place, maybe suspension bushes (100 +labour) or Mass Air flow meter (250 + labour)

TBH i haven't driven the new Honda diesels, so i cant compare, but i would say the newer honda for the same money would have a bit more deprecation to do,then a 4 year old 320d in jan07
    I'm not knocking it really, but they are over-capable of charging if you want to keep a full BMW service history with your vehicle, which helps re-sale a lot. But if you go third-party parts, then shouldn't be anymore expensive than any other make. Just personally, I like to keep genuine parts on my car, even if I get the work done myself or by some other mechanic, I'll hand him the genuine manufacturer parts.

@mercmad - true, the older 3 litre diesel from bmw was past its best... the newer 231bhp one is a better buy, but you'll pay for it!! The CDi at the time was better.
    Where's the OP gone now? What does he think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

@mercmad - true, the older 3 litre diesel from bmw was past its best... the newer 231bhp one is a better buy, but you'll pay for it!! The CDi at the time was better.
    Where's the OP gone now? What does he think?

..........yeah but thats the new shape, which you wont get for this budget, and the new Benz V6 cdi is within 4BHP of that yet its torque is up 29lbs/ft !!

What is the car to be used for anyway................and since it would appear that we are now talking about older & larger vehicles what about the Audi V6 tdi ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry it took a while to reply ,I'm just in from work ,still in my snickers.

I just want a car that I can get into and drive ,through mountain roads and on long country runs ,without looking for the tops of hills.

I'm driving about 11 years now ,had 4 cars and 8 vans. I just want a bit of power when I need it and not have to calculate everything.
    Some torque please .

Thanks for the replies ,I can't justify the tax on anything greater than 2.0 .,solely a pleasure vehicle and I don't have any kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

_Brian_ wrote:
    I just want a car that I can get into and drive ,through mountain roads and on long country runs ,without looking for the tops of hills.
    Do you want something new/sporty/reliable/family saloon/executive....?
    If it were my money I'd have a nice Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDi Cupra with 160bhp and 243lb/ft of torque.
    Good looking machine too....
    medianw4.jpg

If the engine is in the leon ,I could be persuaded alright.
    The rear lights on the leon remind me of the toyota supra.:D

I really like the shape of the leon .

• Advertisement

_Brian_ wrote:
    If the engine is in the leon ,I could be persuaded alright.
    The rear lights on the leon remind me of the toyota supra.:D

I really like the shape of the leon .
    Old or new shape Leon...personally I still like the old shape.....
    How's about a Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 150 Cupra?

Thanks fletch for the info on the 1.9TDI seats.
    I presume its the same engine as in the golf and if so it would be available in a skoda too. I'd probably go for a skoda if the VW engine was available with it.

I like the octavia ,well the body of it anyways ,never drove one.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Thanks fletch for the info on the 1.9TDI seats.
    I presume its the same engine as in the golf and if so it would be available in a skoda too. I'd probably go for a skoda if the VW engine was available with it.

I like the octavia ,well the body of it anyways ,never drove one.
    Skoda Fabia vRS 130bhp and 310NM of torque...that's what I'm drivin and it pulls like a steam train!

"The in gear acceleration times are 50-70 mph in 5.6 seconds, quicker than BMW's 330i which needs 6.0 seconds. 20-40 mph in 2.4 seconds is as quick as the Lotus Elise 111R" - source

I like it ,conservative and a bit of power thrown in.
    I have to admit the idea of a 320D bmw sounds nice and healthy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kia Magentis new model has a 140bhp 2.0 engine, and isn't entirely bad!

• Advertisement

Colm ,although I've nothing against kia ,the name meningitis doesn't really entertain me at all .
    I've no respect for over paranoid car manufacturers that come up with bogey car names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Kia Magentis new model has a 140bhp 2.0 engine, and isn't entirely bad!

It is bad value when you consider the list price isn't much lower than an avensis.

How about an end of the line Mondeo TDCi platinum. 115bhp, so not the very fastest on the road, but should be very lively all the same. I reckon you should bag an 07 one for close on 25k. Plenty goodies as standard too, and definitely a better idea than a 320d with 70k on the clock.

Advertisement