Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This may save your life!

• 11-12-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

[LINK REMOVED]

Click open or save it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Good article but maybe more suited to AH , this is meant to be the Waterford forum after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

If the advice in the PPS is genuine then it should be posted on every forum country or even world wide, irrespective of the topic or location of the forum.

The more people that read it, the more lives will be saved and many people such as myself only stick to one or two forums and therefore would miss the message if posted elsewhere.

Now the reason I say "genuine" above is that even though it came via a good source including a health council and others, I am now wondering whether there could be an element of a hoax in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I don't think its a hoax.I heards this before a guy in my job sent an email to everyone claming the same thing.It sounds perfectly plausible to me.

Sorry for posting this, good intentions but it does seem to be a hoax!

click here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I could DIE just because I don't have Powerpoint. This is a Microsoft scam!:D

• Advertisement

looksee wrote:
    I could DIE just because I don't have Powerpoint. This is a Microsoft scam!:D

Open Office wins again! But eh yeah, don't really see what it has to do with Waterford. Would get lots of readers over in After Hours, or even perhaps a friendly doc could confirm it is true in Biology & Medicine.

Looking into this a little further it is not entirely hoax but it is known as Cough CPR which shouldn't be used lightly and preferably under medical supervision.

The history of the PPS show and the information it contains and more on Cough CPR can be read at this site - CLICK HERE

Now it may not have feck all to do with Waterford but who cares because if by posting some kind of first aid information that may save some Waterford citizens life I don't give a shyte.

Obviously you and anybody else that wants to say "Its nothing to with Waterford" don't give a damn about other Waterford people and the crux is, it could one day save your own life, that is any kind of helpful first aid information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Seanie, you ended up passing around something that could potentially kill someone, and you caused casual viewers of the 'Waterford' board to start thinking about heart attacks. Life is stressful enough without people reminding you all the time about all the ways you could die. :rolleyes:

Why didn't you just post it on the 'board for people who are interested in unverified medical techniques'?

Likewise Merlante it could also potentially “save” someone’s life!
    It was also passed to me from a reliable source and part of that source was from a health council.

Now being very well aware of many hoaxes floating around the internet and also now being well into the “heart attack” age, I thought I would check it out more to see how accurate it was and technically it is accurate.

Now if I was alone and unable to summon help, then probably, if I remember whilst clutching my chest with both hands tightly whilst in severe pain and knowing that no help was forthcoming, then I would take a chance on it.!!

My only interest on boards.ie is the Waterford one and I can be found on most Waterford boards anyway.
    The thread was posted in good faith and it was posted so that some of you or me and you can bet your life that someone reading this in the future WILL have a heart attack may be able to help themselves if necessary.

You should also take into account that when I realised that there could be an element of a hoax in it, I immediately posted that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Yeah fair enough Seanie. But you could equally post a big huge article on smoking which will kill at least one person on here, or drink driving or whatever.

The point is that people log on here for Waterford chat not for medical updates. I mean you could completely clog up this board with medical updates on the basis that lives would be saved, but then the Waterford board wouldn't be a Waterford board anymore.

Plus, I firmly believe that being reminded of death on a constant basis is not good for people's health. It raises blood pressure and therefore causes heart attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Here Here Merlante! Well said.

SeanieM I reminded you before about posting irrelevant threads under the Waterford section of this site. How old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Definitely a ban is in order if he posts up any more of that crap , we all get stuff like that in our e-mails and dont go posting it up on the waterford site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

meldrew wrote:
    Definitely a ban is in order if he posts up any more of that crap , we all get stuff like that in our e-mails and dont go posting it up on the waterford site
    definetly ott, theres also alot of off topic posting and not just this thread. and there are many more posts that arent about waterford, dont be bullies all your lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

paul666 wrote:
    definetly ott, theres also alot of off topic posting and not just this thread. and there are many more posts that arent about waterford, dont be bullies all your lives

If that is true then they deserve the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

SeanieM wrote:
    If the advice in the PPS is genuine then it should be posted on every forum country or even world wide, irrespective of the topic or location of the forum.
    The reason this thread is locked rather than deleted is to make some things clear.

The quoted "logic" is what leads to do-gooder Spammers.

Do-gooder Spammers do not try to make money out of us, but they do annoy the **** out of us and waste our resources.

The classic example is the Spam mail about the Taliban that would probably still be doing the rounds if even those people moronic enough to think that the Taliban could be effectively fought by Spamming innocent bystanders are vaguely aware that there is some sort of war or something in Afghanistan now.

It's not even a hoax (what it said about the Taliban was true). It still managed to cripple the mail account used by the do-gooder Spammer that started it in less than 2 days, take down their universities network for a bit, and continue being sent around doing nothing but annoy and irritate up to the point that US and UK troops entered Kabul.

The above is of course even worse because it's giving medical advice. And that medical advice is bull****. Giving medical advice that is bull**** is not safe. It's tempting just to laugh at the idea that someone would be stupid enough to believe it, but if people are stupid enough to repeat it then there's probably enough people stupid enough that it could do some harm.

Spam is not tolerated on boards. Do-gooder or not. If it happens again the site-ban will not be temporary.

Medical advice is not allowed to be given on boards.ie unless you have a medical degree and agree to idemnify us up front by paying the malpractice insurance we'd need to deal with that.

Most of all, even hinting that you think you are justified in posting anything on all forums is something you only get to do in one case. Simply put if one of the people who owns this site wants to do it then not only can they do it, but I'll probably help them (besides, its not like I can ban them anyway).

Anyone else wants to put the same thing on every forum on a bulletin board site can **** off and set up their own website, because they aren't doing it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement