Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of gettin an compaq ipaq 3630

• 11-12-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    how are we
    i need a yoke lik ethis just for lookin at powerpoints,pdf's. and word file
    iv seen one for sale today, its perfect but i need to get adobe acrobat and ms ppt.
    any ideas where i d get these for free
    is says theres an expansion slot on it too, but i cant figure out how i can expand it
    any comments greatly appreciated
    i want to be able to connect up the like sof a memory key to it or an sd card or be able to download files to it from a pc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

hi guys
    how are we
    i need a yoke lik ethis just for lookin at powerpoints,pdf's. and word file
    iv seen one for sale today, its perfect but i need to get adobe acrobat and ms ppt.
    any ideas where i d get these for free
    is says theres an expansion slot on it too, but i cant figure out how i can expand it
    any comments greatly appreciated
    i want to be able to connect up the like sof a memory key to it or an sd card or be able to download files to it from a pc

hi eurotrotter.
    the 3630 is a fairly ageing device at this stage tbh. i was reading an old review of it on the net and it was considered a cool device back in 2001 with 32mb of ram. :)

have you looked at the newer ipaqs, the 1900 series or even the older 4150 which you could probably pick up second hand fairly cheaply (~200 euro) on an auction site.

anyway the 3630 comes pre-loaded with pocket word which is a basic version of word (ok for letters and stuff)

you can download acrobat reader for pocketpc for free (from the adobe site) or it may even be supplied on the cd accompanying the device.

the new windows mobile 5.0 operating system on the newer pdas has a pocket powerpoint presentation app included but you can only view or playback presentations, you can't edit them on the go.

in other words you'll have to pay for presentation software that's anyway decent.
    you could take a look at pocketslides, an award-winning presentation app which lets you create, edit and playback presentations.
    you can get it from www.handango.com or www.pocketgear.com for about 30 euro afaik. there are a couple of other presentation apps out there but i'd say that's the best tbh.

i think the 3630 only has a cf slot, not an sd slot. this means you can expand its memory by up to 8gb. there are various cf based accessories like cameras, gps devices, gsm/gprs cards, tv/fm tuners etc that you can add thru the cf slot if your interested.

as for connecting to a pc and transferring pdf, word, ppt files etc you do this via the supplied usb cable and cradle with the accompanying activesync software.

or you can just use a cf card and card reader (easier imho).

as for connecting the pda up to a projector to display presentations, i don't know exactly how to do this but i'm sure there are connectors to do this.

you can always just take the cf card out of the pda and put it into a laptop's card reader to give the presentation that way instead. (having said that i'm not sure if laptop card-readers generally take cf cards so again you'd be better off going with an sd card-based device e.g the 4150 above).

hth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

got the pda today
    works away fine but i need to connect it to my pc
    but the pc sees it but it doesnt appear as a drive
    any ideas
    thanks for the help so far!
    ed

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

As mentioned above this is a very old device. It was actually one of the 1st Microsoft PocketPc's ever released. It runs a very old version of the OS so you are probably going to have a lot of trouble getting programs to work on it.

For syncing a PocketPC you need to download and install Microsoft activesync. However I have no idea if the latest version is going to be compatible with such an old PDA. You may have to search around for older versions of Activesync.

got the pda today
    any ideas
    ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

got the pda today
    any ideas
    ed

basically to sync an ipaq with your pc you need to install activesync on your pc. this is the synchronization software which allows you to transfer files between pda and pc. even though the 3630 is an old device i'm fairly sure it still uses activesync.

anyway you should've gotten a copy of activesync on a cd accompanying the device. the following applies to newer ipaqs but it's probably the same for your device:

basically you install activesync while you connect the pda to the pc with the usb cable. when your pc finds your device it asks you to create a "partnership" between your pda and pc. after you create the partnership you should be set to sync files and a special folder called "pocketpc my documents " is also automatically created on the desktop. you can simply move pc files to this folder and then you can sync them from there to your pda using activesync whenever you connect the pda with the usb cable. (btw make sure the "files" box in activesync settings is then ticked to allow synchronization of files from this folder)

another way of moving files is to go into file>explore in activesync on the pc (with the device connected) and you'll see the various represented files
    and folders of the connected device. then you can simply copy and paste your pc files to these folders and they'll sync to the corresponding folders on the device.

however as i said before it might be easier simply to buy a cf card and if you have a cardreader on your pc just transfer the files to the cf card (it's a lot quicker than using activesync).

Advertisement