Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Production+Courses

• 11-12-2006 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey all,
    I've recently gotten back into dance music in a big way and have been looking at getting into production a little bit and have been wondering what would be the basic starter kit to use? I've heard from somewhere that Mylo used only an Apple notebook and a DEMO version of pro tools to put out Destroy Rock and Roll and I'm wondering if thats actually possible?
    I done a multimedia course for 3 years so i've used reason, cubase, soundforge and Vegas a little bit here and there.

Also can anyone recommend a good sound engineering course to do? Id like something that would lean towards dance music if possible and im currently living in dublin but if you know of any decent courses outside of the pale or even across the water please let me know.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

re mylo

thats rubbish

best course in ireland is in the temple bar music center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sideshow187

Dunno where I read the Mylo thing....
    think it was in mixmag or on his site I cant really remember.
    Yeah had a look at the music centre course, (the dj one) looks fairly decent

if youre looking to do sound engineering/production, i wouldnt bother with the dj course to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can learn a lot from home. Understanding how synthesis works would be a good start before you get cracking on any programs. Someone threw this link up before and i've been going through it. Very helpful.

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?page=3&Section=8&Subject=12

• Registered Users Posts: 20 suzy_2005ie

Hey everyone, I've been interested in DJing and Music production, but have never given either a go.

Was wondering how to kind of start and find out if you like it.

its an area I would love to give a go.

any tips on trying (particularly)music production out?

Suzanne :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

Helix wrote:
    best course in ireland is in the temple bar music center

dont know where you got that from, from experience and if you want to continue an education in the field.
    Limerick IT do an Ord BA degree in Music technology. 3 years

NUI maynooth do a Hon BA degree in Music Technology (but you mist take 2 other atrs subjects in 1st year and drop one in 2nd year, a slow moving course from what i hear). 3 years

Ballfermot College Of Further Education (PLC) do a 2 year BTEC diploma in Music Technology, which is transferrable to (2nd year if youve passed an arts subject that they offer) NUI Maynooth. and 3rd year and 2nd year in UK colleges/universities. eg, glasgow, edinburgh, belfast loads of english ones too.

maynooth and trinity offer a masters course in it once youve a degree think it may have to be an honours one, ie, not sure if limerick one will do)

temple bar music centre course is bout 6 weeks long and you get a worthless cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

All qualifications in music technology are worthless imo

You're better off saving the money you would spend at college and buy a decent PC and a few books. Just learn it yourself.

A qualification means **** all. I know people working in the music business and their college course wasn't related to what they work at. I suppose it would help, but its who you know not what you know!

The TBMC one is supposedly the best as you get much more studio time, though.

Ernesto wrote:
    temple bar music centre course is bout 6 weeks long and you get a worthless cert.

tbmc is 3 years long for the full course

and you can go on to trinity to do your masters in music technology afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

H3lx

Would that be a definitely for gating you a job in the industry tho?

Masters in Music tech from trinity?

no paperwork will get you a job in the industry

qualifications mean absolutely nothing

its all about what youve done, and what you can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Helix wrote:
    tbmc is 3 years long for the full course

and you can go on to trinity to do your masters in music technology afterwards
    while this is technically true helix it is a bit misleading

the 3rd year was only added this year

of the 50/60 ppl odd in first year only 20 will be in 2nd year and 6(i think) in 3rd year

I would also go so far as saying that being in the top 6 in the class will not guarantee you a place in third year or even 2nd year

also you can go on and do the masters in trinity no matter what. tbmc course isnt a requirement or even recommended

i really liked tbmc but there is alot of bs that goes with it too but if you have your heart set on a course of this nature then i would defo recomend it

if you know what youre doing, and are even half decent youll get into second year

les only briefly told me what teh craic was with the 3rd year a while ago so im not too well up on it

youll struggle to get into the trinity course if youre not grade 8 if you havent done the stc course, if you have youll get in if you can display decent understanding of music theory

i think its great that only 20 get into second year, that way you only get the best of the bunch so no resources are wasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Helix wrote:

He's right, you know. I did the Masters in Music Tech course in UL. Highly recommended, but none of the University courses are purely geared towards music production. There's no need whatsoever to do any course if all you want to do is produce music as a hobby. I wrote a quick tutorial on the tools you need to produce electronic music over in the Recording/Mixing/Collaboration forum, it might be of some use to people here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035319

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I've heard from somewhere that Mylo used only an Apple notebook and a DEMO version of pro tools to put out Destroy Rock and Roll and I'm wondering if thats actually possible?

Yes,it is quite possible.Although no demo version exists, you can download older versions of pro-tools for windows 98 and older mac os for free.works fairly well. I know that the Prodigy's last album was produced on a laptop using reason, so you can produce great results at home.
    As far as course in music production go, we are not really spoilt for chioce here. The courses in maynooth and limerick are suppos3ed to be ok, but im told are not very hands on. The one in ballyfermot is quite good i hear. You can aslo do Pro-tools operator courses in Dublin at pulse and the Templebar musuc center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

Helix wrote:

qualifications mean absolutely nothing

its all about what youve done, and what you can do
    only in this monopolized friends of friends country. abroad is a much different story. a qualification will get you in the door, THEN its about experience and work done etc. computer music in NUIM is pretty cool masters too.

nah theres about500 times more sound engineers in the world than there are studios

its who you know and what you can show to show youre decent EVERYWHERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

how do?quick little aside.anyone know where to find a free version of cubase?! crack or otherwise? nice one if ya can help

yes

but thats not allowed on here

use google

Advertisement