Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering question?

Options
  • 11-12-2006 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Yes I'm back with another power steering question. I topped up the power steering fluid in my wife's Seat Ibiza as it was displaying a waring light on the dash.

Now when you start the car, the steering is solid until you give the car a good rev and then the power steering kicks in. What could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a faulty pump or else its low on fluid or possibly has a leak. Do you top it up regularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I checked the fluid level today and its fine. Doesn't seem to have lost any fluid since I topped it up a few weeks back. Its an Electro driven pump just for the record

Electric driven pumps have been known to give bother in the Opel range.

When you said you had to rev the engine I was assuming belt driven. Either way it still sounds like a pump problem. Get it checked out before something fails - you don't want to loose PAS when you need it most. Hopefully the car is still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

take the cover off the PS fluid resevoir and then repeatedly lock the wheels in either direction a few times. this will bleed any air out of the system which may be causing the problem.
    I really dont know much about it but i saw it on "the garage" on dicovery and it worked for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Would you believe the problem all along was a faulty battery. Had it on a diagnostic machine today. readings indicated a low voltage problem. Replaced battery and its running perfectly now.
    I believe same funny symptoms happen with VW's

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you have it sorted.

Advertisement