Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for reduction of database errors.

Options
  • 11-12-2006 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

Okay, here's another thread where someone who knows a bit about programming but very little about vBulletin suggests something that seems easy to their mind but which may well be nigh on impossible. Those in a position to do something about may well say "no, that's nigh on impossible/won't work/completely getting the wrong end of the stick".

Anyhoo. It seems to me that most of the database errors I'm seeing of late are on trying to update the table that stores users last activity. It's hardly the end of the world to have a slightly inaccurate "last activity" (the concept's rather pointless given the number of people that use multiple tabs at once anyway) so it seems harmless if any exceptions raised here were just eaten and the rest of the work for building the page allowed to proceed.

Hence my suggestion: Can we just wrap the bit that updates the last activity record in a try block, and discard database exceptions from it as harmless.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll direct Ecksor to this idea as he is looking into it.
    Its a pain in the ass but given that we are about to horrendously fnck with everything in a short while, we might live with it and see if it survives the apocalpse...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wuhoo! Upgrade time! Let's do the Apocalpso!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

please upgrade over the next 3 weeks while im on holiday.
    thanks.
    amp wrote:
    Apocalpso

do it?
    i cant even pronounce that....

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Advertisement