Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Song in Progress/Advice needed

• 12-12-2006 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Right, so there's a little ditty I'm fecking about with here (1.46mbs). Now I know the drums are way out - I rendered the track by accident with a beat repeat VST turned on and there's some wierdness there :) - but my question is with the main synth riff. At the moment is sounds very muffled. I've tried compression and EQ'ing to no avail - does anyone have any tips so as to bring it out to the fore a bit more?

Also, any other random comments are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Not one comment on the technique or otherwise? Humbug! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

Hey hows things.
    You're talking about that arpeggiated synth. What do you mean by bring it to the fore? If you wanted more emphasis I suppose you could play another track in unison (play the same notes, but a different sound, synchronised on another track along with it), even transpose the other track down an octave to give it more depth or up an octave (subtract notes here and there, alter patterns , offset them differently, experiment!). To be honest it's more really about filling the frequencies moreso than pushing up levels, the track has no bassline so immediately it's lacking in low end and also a bit of percussion, hats etc. would add. You could try taking the notes of the synth for the bassline minus the arpeggio, have the bass changing on each bar with a bit of variation obviously (4 note bass can be boring at times imo) This would help emphasise the synth, kinda drive it along as such. Take the kick down it's way too high, It'll give you more headroom to work with.
    Generally (not always) pumping a problem sound with shedloads of compression will generally squash the sound's dynamics and muffle it further. If a sound isn't entirely what you're looking for just change it, obviously it's worth your while some times fiddling with parameters on the synth but if it just isn't working scrap it and move forward. At least you can progress the track on (nothing worse than getting head wrecked, the whole creative process gets f@#ked out the window, the pc gets turned off and you go to bed pissed off!). Nine times out of ten as you move on you'll get inspired and then go back and sort it!

hope this helps brother. Good luck with the music! :D

Djamel
    www.myspace.com/medjy

Advertisement