Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Assault.

Options
  • 12-12-2006 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

I've been waiting for this game for about 4 years now, and it's just been released in the Czech rep and Germany, we can expect a Europe wide release very soon.
    If you never heard of this before, it's the sequel to Operation Flashpoint.
    A realistic Army Simulator. Operation flashpoint kicked total ass and this game looks like its going to be OFP+100!!

This is a 'realistic' game, so if you dont like crawling in mud for about 20 mins before you can engage the enemy then it's not for you. If on the other hand you like tactics and realism, I don't think you can get any better.

I guess it's kinda like battlefield, the maps are huge, but the combat is much more realistic, you can also control squads and drive/fly and vehicles.

check it out http://www.armedassault.com
    site seems slow and flakey, so I uploaded the trailer. here

Operation Flashpoint was the best Lan game I ever played (especially in co-op) so I'm wondering if anyone is interested in starting a clan, maybe running a dedicated server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Big file, I'd reccomend right click, save as if you're gonna download it.

OFP did kick ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yes I forgot to mention the file is HDTV 720 p, there are more trailers available on their site, although the bandwith may be slower.

edit: also try EXCLUSIVE_ArmA_Montage.wmv
    its seriously cool.

check out the trackir_in_arma.wmv
    collest control ever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Would it be more realistic than the likes of Red Orchestra Ost Front

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Way more realistic if Operation Flashpoint is anything to go by. In Op Flash you would be killed if you got shot once or severely hampered if you were lucky and survived. It made for one of the most terrifying games ever, well above the levels of the survivor horror games. Hiding in the woods while being hunted by the Russians and knowing there is an attack chopper over head searching for you was one of the highlights. I also liked that if you were assaulting a town and the enemy tanks started rolling in you got out of there as fast as you could.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, operation flashpoint was brilliant.

As you said, hiding in the woods while all American forces are being evac'ed is absolutely terrifying. Spending 5 minutes crouching at the edge of a forest, trying to decide whether or not to cross the road that's being patrolled by the Russians while listening to the radio reports of your friends saying that they are getting close to the evac point and will be leaving soon, deciding to go for it, getting spotted about halfway across, running through the forest while troops are following you, realizing that the Russians called in reinforcement so that they are directly in front of you as well as behind, until finally you learn that the evac point has been over run. That is terrifying stuff.

OR

How about escaping from a Russian base, not having any of your gear, not even a compass, and having to run across the whole island dodging patrols the whole way, with only the stars in the sky above you to guide you.

In case you haven't realised, I loved operation flashpoint. Am currently avoiding most of the hype around Armed Assault, but will definitely get it whenever it comes out. Game 2 sounds good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

CatInABox wrote:
    How about escaping from a Russian base, not having any of your gear, not even a compass, and having to run across the whole island dodging patrols the whole way, with only the stars in the sky above you to guide you.

Deadly mission - have you ever tried it irl? That counts as the most useful thing any game has ever taught me. (It works!)

Oh, and post here if you love Flashpoint: here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Apparantly the game is riddled with bugs atm and is a crash-fest. Quite good when it runs, but it has problems for now. From a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

As you said, hiding in the woods while all American forces are being evac'ed is absolutely terrifying. Spending 5 minutes crouching at the edge of a forest, trying to decide whether or not to cross the road that's being patrolled by the Russians while listening to the radio reports of your friends saying that they are getting close to the evac point and will be leaving soon, deciding to go for it, getting spotted about halfway across, running through the forest while troops are following you, realizing that the Russians called in reinforcement so that they are directly in front of you as well as behind, until finally you learn that the evac point has been over run. That is terrifying stuff.

Great game, I remember making my escape in a tractor being shot at by a BMP during that mission.

Another good memory was one of the special forces missions, hiding at night in the woods as two Russian attack choppers circled above looking for me. I was considering how the hell I was going to get out without them seeing me, when they suddenly collided and crashed -Yay! Thats what I call non-linear.

Ive heard though that Armed Assault is OpFlash 1.5, rather than 2.0 - i.e. theyre giving us OpFlash with bells and whistles on a new engine, whilst theyre still working on a more ambitious followup which will have a dynamic campaign controlled by the AI rather than a mission based structure - or rather the AI will assign you missions depending on what it needs done, instead of their being set ladder missions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, I've used it in real life, but not for actually getting anywhere, was more along the lines of impressing a woman with my knowledge of the stars! Geeky or what? Still, it worked. ;)

Yes, this is Operation Flashpoint 1.5 essentially, with "Game 2" being the True Sequel to operation flashpoint, which as you say, wont have any pre-scripted missions, but just missions dreamed up on the fly by the computer. There'll be no point writing a guide for that.

Armed Assault will be enough for me if it's anywhere near as good as Operation Flashpoint. It's just a shame that they lost the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I totally loved OpFlash. One of my favourite games of all time. But I looked at some of these videos and they didn't impress. One of the best things about OpFlash (besides the A.I. and realism) was the graphics engine. The game simply couldn't have been done without the graphics being as balanced as they were... What I mean is people who were far away looked far away. You were always looking around scrutinising everything to discern if it was a threat or not. How many times did you get the binoculars out for that stupid piece of shrub that looked like a filthy commie? :)

It looks like this game is made "pretty" at the expense of usability. Why are all of the G.I.s wearing desert camo in the beautiful green pastures? Ahhhh, I dunno. I'm just not gonna get my hopes up for it. OpFlash is too good a game to follow up :)

Man, that one-save-per-level thing pissed me off, and made the game so good and so scary :) Hiding in the trees with the volume up and a BMP growling around looking for you, with its headlamps illuminating the ground just a few metres away every now and then...

Haha, yes, I've used that star navigation thing irl as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Balfa wrote:
    Man, that one-save-per-level thing pissed me off

I remember using a little devious trick of ALT + TAB'ing to the OPFlash save directory and deleting the save file, so I can save again :)

Came in hand for that dam hard mission where all your squad got killed, and you had to escape the island, whilst being hunted by troops, choppers and tanks, with trees as your only shield :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

DarthWraak wrote:
    I remember using a little devious trick of ALT + TAB'ing to the OPFlash save directory and deleting the save file, so I can save again :)

Came in hand for that dam hard mission where all your squad got killed, and you had to escape the island, whilst being hunted by troops, choppers and tanks, with trees as your only shield :eek:
    yup i did that too :D
    also in the mission where you had to escape the russian base i remember i managed to steal a chopper and fly out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

There were load sof ways to cheat in OFP, but I always though it was kinda self defeating.

Also..... You can BUY ARMED ASSAULT NOW HERE
    http://www.morphicon.de/

Its in german, but there are translations available here

Just buy with creditcard, : you get the cd key , and a download link. So simple. I'm at work now, but I'm ready to go when I get home XD.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Apparantly the game is riddled with bugs atm and is a crash-fest.

Sounds like OpFlash alright...

/runs

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Sounds like OpFlash alright...

/runs

No point in running unless you're zigzagging, otherwise you're just an easy target.

In any case, you're right, OpFlash was a mess for a while, but thankfully(hopefully) most of the bugs will be ironed out before it hits here.

Also, if it's as good as OpFlash was, then it would be a shame to miss this game merely because of a few bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Will the multiplayer be good? I'm really in the need of a damn good online FPS & this is sounding sweet

Advertisement