Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super bowl winner?

Options
  • 12-12-2006 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

So whos everyone liking now the season seems a bit clearer? I still think the bears wont win anything with Grossman as QB, but there Defense is class.

Colts look doomed because of there run D. Pats are there usual regular season self, come playoff time they cant be written off. Saints would be the fairytale winner and are looking great. NFC is pretty poor so i can see them making the final.

The chargers are now bookies favourites, and its easy to see how. LT just broke the rushing TD record in a year, Merrimen is back now too. They set for homfield advantage.

Seahawks still cant be ruled out, no in NFC can be really.

I think it will be Pats vs Saints, or possibly the Giants. NFL love fairytales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Would love if I was wrong but I can't see the Pats getting there at the minute. No Harrison or Seau and it sounds like Maroney might be hurt too. Hard to look past the Chargers the way they're playing at the minute, and Baltimore are looking like their old selves. Indy, giving up 375 yards rushing in a game, not a hope.

As for the NFC, has to be the Saints. NFL wouldn't have it any other way (love all the conspiracy theories about the Bush pick, the Atlanta blocked punt etc). Although how the NFL will feel watching them get murdered in the Superbowl I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Failing the Packers reaching their sixth, I'd like to see the Saints take on the Chargers. It could be a scorefest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Forget about the Packers Coach.A 500 season is the best they can hope for.

Hope for the future though I think.

Cowboys will have a say in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

So whos everyone liking now the season seems a bit clearer? I still think the bears wont win anything with Grossman as QB, but there Defense is class.

Colts look doomed because of there run D. Pats are there usual regular season self, come playoff time they cant be written off. Saints would be the fairytale winner and are looking great. NFC is pretty poor so i can see them making the final.

The chargers are now bookies favourites, and its easy to see how. LT just broke the rushing TD record in a year, Merrimen is back now too. They set for homfield advantage.

Seahawks still cant be ruled out, no in NFC can be really.

I think it will be Pats vs Saints, or possibly the Giants. NFL love fairytales.

The Hawks are really driving me mad. Losing at Arizona and giving up those 4th quarter points was really poor. I know Hasselback is only back and that the NFC is rubbish at the moment but if they win it now it would be a real shock.
    8-5 and losing two divisionals on the road against Arizona and the 9ers isn't superbowl winning form.

Winners? Probably the Colts or if not them the Ravens. Impressive enough on Sunday i thought,

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭PappaCSkillz22

I would love a Patriots v Saints superbowl, being a big Patriots fan but also just loving how the Saints play football. They are literally a joy to watch.

In the NFC it has to be either Dallas, the Saints, the Bears or Seattle surely. If you had to pick one from there, why not the Saints? The hold a huge, huge trump card over Dallas after Sunday night's ridiculous whomping. Seattle have so many injury question marks and the Bears may as well take the field with Jim McMahon consider how Rex the not-wonder dog is playing.

The AFC is insane, because of the Marty effect you could almost just draw lots or flip a coin. For example, say the AFC final was San Diego against New England. You honestly think Marty is going to out coach Bill?

Baltimore, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, San Diego, New England, heck, what about Tennessee?! Okay, deep breath, Baltimore aren't going because of a very iffy offence. Cincinatti give up points like candy and anyway half their team will be in jail by 2007. I could carry for 40 yards against the Colts run defence and San Diego are infamous chokes (plus they have a decent but vastly underexperienced QB). So there it is. With Rodney Harrison back in a few weeks and Maroney back to compliment Dillon for the playoffs, New England rides Brady and his new found gelling with his recievers to the Superbowl against New Orleans.

New England 33 New Orleans 30 (Only because the Patriots have done it before and will play with ice in their veins for the 4th qtr)

By the by, New Orleans started the season 500/1, I got them at 50/1 a few weeks ago, last week you could get 28/1 on them, and today in Paddy Powers they are 8/1

..wow..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Saints FTW..........Houston we have a problem :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'd love the chargers to do it but i reckon Baltimore have the defence to win

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Been a Bears fan for 22 years but not sure that they can go all the way but wouldn't it be exciting watch Devin Hester do his thing on the world stage...

dl wrote:
    Been a Bears fan for 22 years but not sure that they can go all the way but wouldn't it be exciting see watch Devin Hester do his thing on the world stage...

They rely on special teams WAY too much, with the notable exception of Desmond Howard in '96 Special teams do not change the course of playoff games, the teams the Bears meet in the playoffs will play them tight and wait for Rex to make a few mistakes.

I don't see them beating either Seattle or even New Orleans, unless they shut them down completely, which is asking allot, and then even if they do make the big game their AFC opponent will just have too much firepower for them and Rex. God that guy is plain awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Forget about the Packers Coach.A 500 season is the best they can hope for.

Hope for the future though I think.

Cowboys will have a say in it.
    Packers could still make the wildcard. The NFC is really poor and I can see the superbowl staying with the AFC. In fact it could be possible for a team with a losing record to make the playoffs in the NFC. Hopefully the Ravens can do it:cool:

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote:
    Packers could still make the wildcard.

Have you actually watched the Packers lately?
    Much as I love Brett Favre, my god, they are horrible..

If they do make the wild card, then the system is flawed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

they need a miracle to make it.

they need a miracle to make it.

As do the Hawks now after another loss to the Niners last night..

EARMUFFS wrote:
    As do the Hawks now after another loss to the Niners last night..

No they dont. They just need to win more game. 49ers have to win both of their games aswell.

49ers are at home to the cards, then away to denver. I cant see them beating denver at mile high. Seahawks need to beat the charger or go to the bucs and beat them. They should beat tampa.

No they dont. They just need to win more game. 49ers have to win both of their games aswell.

49ers are at home to the cards, then away to denver. I cant see them beating denver at mile high. Seahawks need to beat the charger or go to the bucs and beat them. They should beat tampa.

hey chucky. the division is a poor one i'll give you that but i was more talking about the superbowl than the division. with branch and hasselback misfiring and jackson out the hawks much esteemed offense is badly misfiring. alexander is only back and needs games. tbh i can't see them beating either the bucs or the chargers in this form..

The bucs are a joke. If they dont beat the bucs they should transferred to the CFL. They didnt actually play to badly against the san fran. Hologram just made some very stupid coaching decisions. 49ers were a disgrace for the first 3 quarters.

The bucs are a joke. If they dont beat the bucs they should transferred to the CFL. They didnt actually play to badly against the san fran. Hologram just made some very stupid coaching decisions. 49ers were a disgrace for the first 3 quarters.

The Bears got taken to OT by the Bucs!!!

This season though is proving to be one of the most open in years so anything can happen and probably will!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

They rely on special teams WAY too much, with the notable exception of Desmond Howard in '96 Special teams do not change the course of playoff games, the teams the Bears meet in the playoffs will play them tight and wait for Rex to make a few mistakes.

I don't see them beating either Seattle or even New Orleans, unless they shut them down completely, which is asking allot, and then even if they do make the big game their AFC opponent will just have too much firepower for them and Rex. God that guy is plain awful.

Well we beat them already so they don't worry me

bobby wade wrote:
    Well we beat them already so they don't worry me

Considering how the Bears played against what many people think is the worst team in the league (Tampa) on Sunday, I would be very worried if I were a Bears fan. Either way, you are what you are in the NFL, the Bears are good, a great defence that can really stymie one dimensional NFC teams, but when they play bigger, more balanced AFC teams their horrible, horrible offence holds them back.

I will wear a Bears jersey for a week after the superbowl if they win it all - and a Man United jersey to bed (I hate them both).

Seahawks, saints and cowboys both have good balances offenses that could trouble the bears. With the seahawks playing out-doors and more used to the conditions you will have in chicago they probaly have the best chance.

NFC is so poor i wouldnt be suprised if the 49ers managed to make it to the SB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Considering how the Bears played against what many people think is the worst team in the league (Tampa) on Sunday, I would be very worried if I were a Bears fan. Either way, you are what you are in the NFL, the Bears are good, a great defence that can really stymie one dimensional NFC teams, but when they play bigger, more balanced AFC teams their horrible, horrible offence holds them back.

I will wear a Bears jersey for a week after the superbowl if they win it all - and a Man United jersey to bed (I hate them both).

We were missing 2 starters from the defensive backfield(Brown, Vasher) Browns back-up Johnson & 2 from the d-line Harris & tank, not surprising they could move the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

"Grossman wins NFC player of week award"

Go on knock him, the Bears & the NFC some more sure why not... & of course it was against the lowly Buccs!

C'mon the Bears... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The Saints are looking good all season I'd like to see them win it, a real fairytale ending to the season. The Ravens are looking pretty good at the moment and I'm a Patriots fan so I'm a bit biast not counting them out either. :)

Advertisement