Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high efficency boilers

Options
  • 12-12-2006 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

i have a grant 70/90 boiler in about 5 years and im wondering are there any modern ones which would be much more efficent. I am driving about 13 radiators ,not all the same size plus the hot water system,(i can heat either seperately). I hear about these condensing boilers,what are they about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

paulmallon wrote:
    i have a grant 70/90 boiler in about 5 years and im wondering are there any modern ones which would be much more efficent. I am driving about 13 radiators ,not all the same size plus the hot water system,(i can heat either seperately). I hear about these condensing boilers,what are they about?
    Grant explain their condensing boilers here. http://www.grantengineering.ie/cond_util.htm
    Remember that you already have quite an efficient boiler, so you would not have the same gains as you would, changing from a 20 year old model. The condensing boiler also costs about euro1000.00 more than a standard boiler by the time it is installed.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget the sedbuk rating system doesn't allow for non-condensing boilers to be rated above c even though they are tested at 95% eficiency. i think all boilers in the uk have to be condensing but if your return temps arent low enough you lose efficiency in the condensor.
    heres part of an email i got from an engineer at grants

Note; When calculating the seasonal efficiency of a standard oil boiler the part and full load are used in the calculation, however they are capped at 91% and 92 % respectively, so no standard boiler can achieve a seasonal efficiency above 85.7% hence the large difference in the two figures.

i bought a grant multipass last year rather than buying a condensing boiler for twice the price replacing a burnt out 20 year old boiler and have seen quite a signioficant reduction in oil burn

Advertisement