Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import questions

Options
  • 12-12-2006 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭

So i have found a nice muzzleloader i want to buy from a crowd in the US (cheers croppyboy, much cheaper than the uk places), providing i can source the powder, i plan on using it.

So...

Whats the deal with importing a relatively modern made smoothbore musket?

Do i even need an import license or is it considered a wallhanger until i try to license it for shooting? (flintlock so no percussion caps to worry about)

anyone any insight on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If it can fire and it was made after 1847, it's just another firearm under the rules.

Mind you, given the calibres used in a few of the old muzzleloaders I've seen, you might find it an interesting application process...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    If it can fire and it was made after 1847, it's just another firearm under the rules.

Mind you, given the calibres used in a few of the old muzzleloaders I've seen, you might find it an interesting application process...
    ...and isn't blackpowder regarded and treated as an explosive by the DOJ/Gardai?

I seem to recollect something along those lines anyway; perhaps someone else can clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Primers are definitely thought of as explosives Rovi, but I don't think the gunpowder is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Rovi wrote:
    ...and isn't blackpowder regarded and treated as an explosive by the DOJ/Gardai?
    I seem to recollect something along those lines anyway; perhaps someone else can clarify?

Yep..
    Blackpowder = Explosive .. Gunpowder = Propellant.
    I could be wrong on this but I think you can substitute Pyrodex for Black powder by volume, but not by weight.

From the Hodgdon Company website.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzleloading/powder-measures.php
    In response to a growing number of inquiries from the reloading public, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has undertaken the evaluation of Triple Seven® and Pyrodex® for use in volumetric powder measures designed for use with smokeless powder.

Testing was performed by:

Canadian Explosives Research Laboratory
    Global Environmental Solutions
    Australia Department of Defense, Defense Science and Technology Organization
    ADI (Australia Defense Industries)

Characteristics of ignition tested:

Friction
    Electrostatic Discharge
    Impact
    Ignition Temperature

Test results for Triple Seven and Pyrodex were then compared to Clays® smokeless powder.

Evaluation of the test results reveals that there is no increase in risk of ignition from the use of Pyrodex and Triple Seven when compared to smokeless powders. Further, burn tests indicate that there is no issue with critical column height in the factory supplied powder hoppers with Pyrodex, Triple Seven or our smokeless products. These findings would be consistent with the United States Department of Transportation classification of Pyrodex and Triple Seven as flammable solids rather than as explosives, allowing them to be transported in the same manner as smokeless powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

kowloon wrote:
    a relatively modern made smoothbore musket?

Smoothbore so licence as shotgun. Find out the bore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

A bit OT.But I found an intresting thingy for making primers for muzzleloaders.Called a Tap-o-cap.It allows you to make your own primers out of two very legal items found here in Ireland. Beer can strips and the strip toy caps you use in kids cap guns.
    Do a google on it for the website,might be helpful for those who have trouble getting primers here for their BP guns.

Advertisement