Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolerance to meat.

• 12-12-2006 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I knew a girl who got sick after accidently eating meat - hasn't eaten any in 10/11 yrs.

The only meat I've eaten in the past 6 mths has been fish, would I be expected to react badly if I was to eat a once off chicken/turkey/beef etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I don't think you would, honestly people eat meat daily, I think her illness was more mental than really physical, if she hadn't found out she eat meat I don't believe she would have been ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends on what she ate, how much of it and how it was prepared it could be the ammount of grease/fat.

Yes aftet 10 years her body would not be used to created the enzymes needed to break down the protien strings and it could be that she has a sensative stomach which rejected a stubstance her body no longer recinises.

There are a lot of factors, but I don't think you would be ill if you ate a well cooked and prepared turkey sandwhich over the holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I accidentally ate chicken recently and felt a bit dodgy. Probably a mental thing. Been a veggie for a year and a bit.

My girlfriend bit into a mcmuffin before with bacon in it and felt sick. she's been veggie for about 12 years. I suppose the longer you're veggie the more intollarant you get

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's mostly mental with people, the longer you are vegetarian the more distanced you become from meat being food and more closer to it being a corpse. Years and years of being vegetarian make you go slowly from one to the other with some people.
    It may have just benn badly prepared btw.

Advertisement