Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reverse gear sticks sometimes

Options
  • 12-12-2006 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old '91 Toyota Corolla (yes, yes, I know) and sometimes when I reverse into a space or such the stick sticks in reverse - I clutch/brake and car stops but I cannot disengage the stick until I have switched engine off. I can then move it back to neutral. This happens 2-3 out of 10 times I reverse.

All gears in the car are a bit rusty, as you would expect from an old car but even though they are not fluid they don't lock up.

1. I've heard that when the trans is about to give in the reverse gear is usually the first to act up. Is this true?

2. The transmission fluid has probably never been changed, or at least not for yonks. Could this fix it?

3. How much is a new transmission for an old banger like this?

Advertisement