Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the North-West cutting it's own throat politically ?..

Options
  • 12-12-2006 5:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

As an apolitical observer are we in the North- West, slitting our own throats politically, by voting blindly as our bygone relations had to do.

We can now choose, but are we interested. Personally I believe that we are now responsible for our future, as a part of of Ireland that has links with Ulster as a whole we must set an example.

However, for much too long North- West citizens have been treated by the Dublin based 'Golden Circle' members of a particular persusaion as unworthy of real pro-active consideration.

I am afraid that IMHO they may be in for a shock.

What do you think we should do for the real long term benefit of the North-West as a whole, this iis my main concern.

DO YOU VOTE ?..

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good Post, living in Dublin I usually hear the Dublin side of the promises with the traffic and public transport policies given by opposition.

I remember when I was a student and a FG man came to the door and I asked him what he was going to do for students as I was one at the time and he didn't know what to say so obviously he didn't get my vote. When I was living in Sligo I was impressed by Marian Harkan (ind) so she got my vote. I look at whats important to me and vote accordingly.

I have since moved my vote to dublin as I would probably be more likely to be stuck here during the next election and I might as well vote for the party I feel more inclined too, even though I don't intend to be in Dublin throughout the lifetime of the next party in party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Definitely true, especially Donegal North East. I mean why else did Blaney get in? Coming from a "traditional" Fianna Fail background, I wouldn't want any of the current TDs to get back in next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Following on from Dun's post I would love to see none of the sitting TD's being re-elected. I think we need new faces, new ideas, more energetic people to represent us.

Im not pushed on what party they would belong to as none of the parties are fit to govern this country based on past performances but maybe with new blood in the party veins could lead to the development and infrastructure we have been promised for the last 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

There hasn't been much mention of new jobs / developments (outside LK) in Donegal, is there anyone representing you in the Dail ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote:
    Following on from Dun's post I would love to see none of the sitting TD's being re-elected. I think we need new faces, new ideas, more energetic people to represent us.

Im not pushed on what party they would belong to as none of the parties are fit to govern this country based on past performances but maybe with new blood in the party veins could lead to the development and infrastructure we have been promised for the last 50 years
    Couldn't agree more.

I was browsing the Letterkenny Post the other day, and it has an Opinions piece where they ask people stuff. The question last week was in relation to the elections, and one person they were gonna vote FF, as it was a family tradition?! Do many new voters simply vote for whoever their parents voted for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Exactly, I'd rather vote for a new, keen and maybe untested guy and give him a chance over the same old incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Even if people don't just vote for people because their Daddy and his brothers did, some people make bad decisions anyway. I really feel some people vote for people because they like to be on the winning side. Like all those Man Utd. supporters who came out of the woodwork around 92-93, claiming to have supported them since George Best played for them.
    And of course some people like the plamás. They like the overly familiar handshake, the attendence of a funeral, remembering their name, or a slap on the back. They like to feel important by association. They don't seem to realise that they'll treat anyone they can put a name to like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Exactly, I'd rather vote for a new, keen and maybe untested guy and give him a chance over the same old incumbents.
    its great to get some new blood in there but you always need experience, some of the guys running havent got much of clue either, and if you vote and untested/unrespected guy in who has little or no sway they may acheive less than the predecessors. i would be more inclined to properly question/test the incumbent as they have been referred to before, and get them to enforce change. i dont think a completely untested new government would be good for the economy, the country or least the north west. Uncertainty breeds distress and if firms start to pull out due to policital unstability/uncertainty you can be sure it will be the rural regions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

its great to get some new blood in there but you always need experience, some of the guys running havent got much of clue either, and if you vote and untested/unrespected guy in who has little or no sway they may acheive less than the predecessors. i would be more inclined to properly question/test the incumbent as they have been referred to before, and get them to enforce change. i dont think a completely untested new government would be good for the economy, the country or least the north west. Uncertainty breeds distress and if firms start to pull out due to policital unstability/uncertainty you can be sure it will be the rural regions first.
    A couple of good points alright.

When i say i would rather see new faces in there I would be referring to people who have been sitting on Councils and would have a good track record at local government level.

If they can hack it there and get the work done there should be no reason why they wouldn't achieve at central government.

Of course you will always need experienced politicians in any government or indeed opposition for that matter but I would dearly love to see about 40 or 50 new faces in Leinster House which would give us a good balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

On reading "slitting our own throats politically" I pictured a big knife cutting the map at Ballyshannon... :) Still I'll be voting for FF as I sit with my SSIA in my hands next year thanks to McCreevey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Expirience counts for nowt when you've got lazy, self promoting chancers with nothing except an inflated sense of self importance behind the "slick" facade. Sligo has elected a few such people in it's time, at least one of whom is currently a T.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

JoeyJJ wrote:
    There hasn't been much mention of new jobs / developments (outside LK) in Donegal, is there anyone representing you in the Dail ?
    1000 jobs gone in donegal town in the last few months housing market stalled here i couldn't agree more pat the cope and mary c seemed to be more interested in playing ministers rather than looking after their constituency. the only time anything positive happened was when they were trying to get gildea out. we definitly need to get rid of one of the ff'rs down here.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, Donegal Town is suffering quite a bit. And still no leeway on the 2 shopping centres from Keeneys or Bennetts. And the problems for M Kelly's develpment also.

The only big development I can think of there at the moment, is the new country hotel, out at Lough Eske on the way to Harvey's Point Hotel.

Donegal Town has a lot of potential, but nothing is happening. If it is happening, it ain't happening fast enough!

Advertisement