Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBB and wireless

• 12-12-2006 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I have to set up a wireless system for a friend. I am familiar with DSL, but he has IBB, with the small dish on the roof. Someone told me that he will need a different router. Is this true? and if so any recommendations.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

IBB provide a socket in the house (RJ45 - CAT5) that the user simply plugs into if I remember correctly, at least that's my most recent (5 months ago) experience of how they connect.

The computer is given a fixed IP, DNS and Gateway address to work from. For distribution about the place you anly need a router (no modem) with the WAN port on the router given the fixed IP provided and the router set as a DHCP server for the connected PCs.

Apologies if this has changed recently and this is all wrong.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

what zener says is correct.

to asnwer your question pataman you probably have an adsl modem and wireless router all in one box.
    if this is the case you will need a different box for the ibb
    a normal wirelss router without modem is what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Thanks Guys I will have a go. I havent bought the router yet, I was waiting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have IBB & bought a Buffalo G54 router, it is very fast and I get a full signal anywhere in the house (all internal walls are solid block) + it has WPA security...

You just plug the IBB modem into it.

It has a built in 4 port Ethernet hub too. Its €85 in the laptop shop, Stephens green or €54 on www.dabs.ie.

If you do go down this route, forget about the automatic set-up button...

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=125&categoryid=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

I have IBB and in the last month set up wireless. I bought a Dlink DI-524 from Argos for 59.99. Worked fine. Had a set up utility disc and the only intervention needed was to input the static IP addresses as provided by IBB and then set a WPA password. My laptop picked it up first time and its been working well since. Argos did have a special offer up to very recently where you could get the router and a usb adaptor for 74.99 but that could be over by now. It was in their Christmas catalogue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement