Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Test in kells

Options
  • 12-12-2006 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just got my appt for my driving test, 2nd of February, its being done by the NCT crowd, was wondering has anyone done their test with these guys yet, if so how did you fair?

My mate said they're more relaxed than the testers at Navan

Any idea what the routes are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

i heard they`re more relaxed too. I reckon the government wants to clear the backlog so they can bring in all these new rules and systems they want to bring in. They cant introduce these new measures and restraints until the backlog is reduced and a test waiting time of approx 6 weeks is achieved. Find out when the 1st test will be in kells so instructors will know the routes, then get an instructor to bring you on the routes on 3/4lessons and you should be grand.
    They give good notice of the test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

My mate did it with them last week, so they've already started...

Might look for a driving instructor in kells, give them a shout.

Yeah they have given plenty of notice, and you can confirm your happy with the date by text! How modern :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I assume your mate passed then so if he said they seemed a little less strict?
    My test is next week, ill let you know how i found the tester and the nct set-up overall.

He did indeed pass...
    Let me know how you get on Nuttzy, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AisMul

I did my driving test in Kells this week. Passed it too. The tester I got was so so nice and really put me at ease (I was bricking it beforehand)

I'd never even been to Kells until I was told I was doing my test there. I drove down about 5 or 6 weekends and just drove all over it. Then I had a pre-test from a driving instructor from Navan come with me one day (Kells currently has none)

The best advice would be to drive around it loads - it's small enough that after a few times you'll realise where the hard/easy roads are. Also do a pre-test or two with a Navan pre-tester (although you'll prob have to pick them up and drop them back)

Make sure you learn all the various road signs and know how every button works in your car and learn the names of all the major things under the hood (even the more random things like power steering) and CHECK YOUR MIRRORS CONSTANTLY when you're driving! And turn your entire head so they know you're doing it!

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

Did the test today, and passed :D

Must admit the tester was a nice guy, i arrived early, and they took me out straight away... Did the test, town was slow enough cos of the roadworks but it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bic47

AisMul

I'm due to do my test in Kells in a few weeks time, just wondering what your route was, do they stay around Kells for test?

Would appreciate any tips/advice so I can practise around that area,

Cheers, so not looking forward to it....
    Bic47

Well i'd recommend going down to kells and driving around it a little.
    There are no roundabouts, dual carriageway with lane changes that you'd get in navan, and only one or two sets of lights.

My route from the test centre was into the town, just as your coming in, there is a little housing estate, he brought me in there to do the turnabout (narrowist street i've ever done it on) but you can make it in as many as needed. Then you come out at the crossroads at Supervalu.

From there its turn left heading back into town, straight through onto Cross St (the main road veers to the left towards Navan, you go into the lane for straight across) then he brought me out past mckeon motors to reverse round a corner in a housing estate.

Back into town, turning left and up the hill just before cross st, then he'll bring you to the right past supervalu, then left towards the test centre. Thats it really.

I can't see how they'd have much varience on that, but really you should drive around kells to get to knwo it a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bic47

Thanks Sofireland.....

Really appreciate that, organised a few lessons beforehand with a guy in Navan whos going to bring me through Kells a few times and I'll try and get a lot of practice in the meantime. Its not till beginning of April so I have a good bit of time to play with.

Cheers
    Bic47

No problem.
    Best of Luck with it.
    Make sure you know the car questions and signs cos they ask a good few of those as well.
    But go down some weekend and drive round it for a while to get a feel for the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jmurrayie

How do you apply to do your test in Kells, or is it possible? It is not down as one of the listed centres.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

AFAIK, you apply for Navan but if they are fully booked you might get an appointment with SGS for Kells.

But.. I heard someone say that after March 31st, there won't be anymore in Kells unless you've already been givena date. There moving back to the Navan test centre.

Advertisement