Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this sound a bit weird to you?

Options
  • 12-12-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for somewhere good to go for some singing lessons and came across this place in Dublin: Bel Canto School of Singing. They don't teach any breathing techniques but instead focus on setting your natural voice free and have worked with people like Sinead O'Connor. I tried to find out what they charge and guess what? They don't tell you! Instead you have to go into their school and be assessed for 30-45 minutes and they tell you how they would work with and then tell you about classes ans rates. This assessment costs €100. the place is run by a guy called Frank Merriman who seems to be an interesting character, although I can't seem to work out if that's a good or bad thing. Here's his blog.
    Any got any experiences or thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

The idea of paying €100 to be assessed doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

I've heard bad things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Christy Dignam went there. I like his voice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

The guy could'nt look more shaddy, all hey needs is an eye patch, but yet I'd still give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Christy Dignam went there. I like his voice :)
    Right, so you think he bought his voicebox there? They TRAINED him to stay in tune - his genetics determined his voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I've a friend who went there and it really helped free up his voice. I went for an assessment myself (€50 at the time) and was asked to go ahead with classes, but unfortunately the times didn't suit me.

Frank is a character alright. Definitely has his opinions. However, from what he told me about and from what I've heard, I *personally* think they've got the absolute best approach to singing. There's not a piano in the room, it's all about freeing up your own voice.

Strongly considering going back now as I have a job which will allow me the free time and also I can finally afford it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It depends what kind of singing you're going for. If it's pop/conemporary then that's all well and good and you'll get that free sound. But if it's a classical/operatic sound you're going for then don't dream fo going somewhere that doesn't put any emphasis on breathing! You'd be much better off some place like the DIT or RIAM.

Advertisement