Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up the non-main satellites

• 12-12-2006 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Two questions:
    I recently set up my motorised dish with a preprogrammed receiver (FTA) from Maplin.
    I have no problems moving between ASTRA1, 2D, Hotbird, Atlantic Bird 3. However, these are the only ones I have been able to pick up.
    Whether I am using the USALS on the others and going to the right spot, or moving the motor around the area it should be, I can't pick up anything else.
    In particular I am looking for Hellas (for Telesport (Rom)).
    I am hoping I don't have to go back out and mess with the elevation, but considering I have the others coming in as needed, I wonder if this is the problem at all.
    I also have clear line of sight to everything from 40E to at least 20W I guess.

I have a 90cm dish and the LNB that came with the system.

Secondly, I was hoping to receive more English language stations FTA, but I guess I may need to get a different receiver and CAM and maybe use the spare YellowHouse Card I have. Any problems with that?

As usual, tia for all replies.

MF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd say your motor / dish alignement is off.

The Sky card only works in a Sky Digibox for Sky.

CAM only any use for non-Sky sub. (Art, Cyfra+, Digialb, ABSat, Canal+ etc )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Yeah sounds like dish alignment is off. Hellasat signal isnt as strong so dish needs to be perfectly aligned. Have you tried getting Turksat which is quite close to Hellasat. I think you should also get hispasat at 30W if arc is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I have a similar problem too...

Anything to the east I can get without a problem, or I should say, anything I have looked for on the east, so that ranges from 5e to 42e. I can also get 1w if I try very hard, but after that, anything to the west is a no go!!!

I have checked that my mount is vertical with a level, so that does not seem to be the problem. Also, I would have thought that if the dish alignment was off, that I would have problems getting the channels from 5e to 42e also as they would not follow the arc correctly either... Maybe someone can explain it to me. Just so you know, the back of my house faces almost due south (off by a degree or two) and there is nothing blocking the signal to the left or the right.

Thanks,

mj

I get 50W to 42E and actually have a house to east (mine) and West. So it is setup/ alignment. I was using a Lidl 80cm dish and getting that. The 100cm/110cm Triax much more critical to align.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The most accurate way of aligning a Diseqc motor is to use the USALS commands at the eastern or western ends of the Clarke belt.

ClarkeBelt.jpg

At the top of the arc, all of the sats are bunched together, so it's not a good location for aligning the dish. At the ends of the arc, the sats are spread out, allowing for much more accurate alignment.

Firstly set the elevation/declination according the the markings on the dish and mount. You can use reception of 8W at the top of the arc as double-check.

Now use the receiver USALS to go to 42E. When it has stopped, move the whole mount and dish slowly left or right until the signal is at a maximum. This will ensure true south is properly set.

Pull or push the end of the dish with your hand and note if the quality goes up. If it does, readjust the elevation. If the quality goes down, lock the mount into place.

Move the dish to 30W to ensure that everything is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I am using a Lidl 80cm dish also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I have a big problem also i have 90% quality for astra2 and then one day after setting up my motor i pressed sirius2.3 and started recieving a signal for astra 1! Can someone please tell me how to solve this and get the other satelites i too want to get hellas for telesport! i am using a Comag Sl55
    thanks

The motor elevation on pole MUST not be tweeked. It MUST be based on your location.

The Dish must be square to motor arm. Only adjust that at 42E or 30W, never when near south. (rotation of dish on motor arm)

Only adjust dish up/down on the arm on 5W, 8W etc.

Zaphod 100% correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

A youtube video on installing a Diseqc motor - although they sepnd more time on installing the mount than aligning the motor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_yhxmGlEA

Advertisement