Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for driveway choice on a slope

Options
  • 12-12-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Looking for comments on material for a steep incline driveway and then a flat street around house e.g. asphalt /tarmacadam /concrete or a mix?

I have concerns about tarmacadam with regard its durability for say an oil tank turning on my street?

Concrete looks harsh against tarmac but would assume be more durable. I also hear about concrete imprint? Cobblelock was being ruled out due to size of area

Each contractor will argue about their own application so would appreciate other peoples experiences or advice.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Concrete imprint can look good if done correctly. On a sloping site, I think I would go with imprinted concrete with a cobblelock pattern. Then if the area allows, I would use loose gravel. Obviously the loose gravel could only be used on flat areas. Personally I think cobblelock and gravel is a winning combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Cheers Cmar.. a mixed road surface seems like a good idea and the gravel on flat areas would certainly keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I was advised against imprinted concrete on a big slope due to slippiness caused by the lacquer. In fairness though, that guy was trying to sell me cobblelocking so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but worth looking into.

I've seen imprinted concrete that looks terribly plasticy, but I've also seen a couple I thought were really well done.

Advertisement