Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam seating number disaster in RDS this morning?

Options
  • 12-12-2006 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Was anyone caught up in the slightly mad crush to get their exam seat number at the RDS this morning? As students crowded in the board they were posted on went crashing to the ground. This didn't seem to be helped when (this is how it looked to me) a number of individuals went and ripped down the sheets once they had found their own seating number and threw them on the floor. Some appeared to have deliberately ripped the sheets up, causing all sorts of confusion, not least of all for a few people who seemed to be stressin out over their finals. The net result was a fair few people went into their exams right late.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

neilled wrote:
    Was anyone caught up in the slightly mad crush to get their exam seat number at the RDS this morning? As students crowded in the board they were posted on went crashing to the ground. This didn't seem to be helped when (this is how it looked to me) a number of individuals went and ripped down the sheets once they had found their own seating number and threw them on the floor. Some appeared to have deliberately ripped the sheets up, causing all sorts of confusion, not least of all for a few people who seemed to be stressin out over their finals. The net result was a fair few people went into their exams right late.
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

neilled wrote:
    Arseholes imo, I often wonder how people like this get into university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i had a guy ringing me up today from the rds saying 'i have an exam in half an hour and i can't find my subject or name on the lists'.. turned out eventually that his list was helpfully hidden away in the corner away from everyone else's.

fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh yeah... those seat numbers... it was chaos! you'd think the university would come up with much better solutions... ; larger font perhaps?! more than two listings for the main hall?! list it online?! ....argh stupidity!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

neilled wrote:

Hahahaaaa! :D So funny for all the wrong reasons.

God bless UCD for leading the way in rigorous university organization and student etiquette, clap clap for Hugh Brady and co. once again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

dont think you can really blame The Brady Bunch on this one. The names on the board worked well last year.

1) People showing up at the last minute is just stupid
    2) People tearing down the board. The mind just boggles the type of people in UCD. Wouldnt get that in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

ingenious idea if there was a bell curve

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

maybe go back to exam cards?

The board system is grand if people arrive 30 mins before the exam but people will always be late and there will always be crowds bashing each other to get a look at the board in a fit of hurry. Put up which seat numbers students have to sit in for each exam on SIS the week before, if not return to exam cards and sit wherever you like - there's was nothing wrong with that in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

God bless UCD for leading the way in rigorous university organization and student etiquette, clap clap for Hugh Brady and co. once again!

Its hardly Bradys fault in fairness if people behave in that manner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

The board system is grand if people arrive 30 mins before the exam but people will always be late and there will always be crowds bashing each other to get a look at the board in a fit of hurry. Put up which seat numbers students have to sit in for each exam on SIS the week before, if not return to exam cards and sit wherever you like - there's was nothing wrong with that in the first place.

It was ridiculous I was there at 8.45am which I thought was fine but I queued to see my number until 9.10am why did they get rid of exam cards in the first place??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I think there was although I don't know the reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

UCD!!!!! Woooooooo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It was a joke. Was definitely the fauly of the college. I was there at 8.20 and it was chaos already at that stage because they were only starting to put the lists up. What about putting them up before people arrive or maybe using font that's readable from more than a foot away. Absolute useless ****ers.

Jeez, can you not see I'm been slightly sarcastic in poking fun at the way things are organized in this college. The board system is poor way of informing students where to sit, these types of incidents will happen when there's a mix of students in a rush before vital exams and a mix of genuine grade-A dickheads amongst the students. It's these types of things UCD's administration never think about so Hugh Brady will always get the piss taken out him since this college has gone backwards since he took over the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

if there is assigned seating could they not have posted our seat numbers on SIS , i mean we used to get exam numbers on there and it was fairly quick and painless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

So I take nobody's heard of people being omitted from the lists altogether, having to fill out dozens of pages of forms on the spot to even get a seat to sit an exam they've been registered for since September, and end up not having time to sit the paper itself at all?

Consider the case in one of those 3rd Commerce exams this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

For the record i was there at 8:20 and a crowd instantly gathered. It was a bit of a mess alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

**** I forgot to pay my fees for this semester. Knows im im doing tonight.... robbing a bank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

So I take nobody's heard of people being omitted from the lists altogether, having to fill out dozens of pages of forms on the spot to even get a seat to sit an exam they've been registered for since September, and end up not having time to sit the paper itself at all?

Consider the case in one of those 3rd Commerce exams this morning.
    Interesting. I just came from a 3rd commerce exam, i thought they actually had planned for possible ommissions, they had a row with seats marked x if your name wasnt on any list. obviously not.

What happened, which exam centre was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tintinr35 wrote:
    if there is assigned seating could they not have posted our seat numbers on SIS , i mean we used to get exam numbers on there and it was fairly quick and painless!!!

I absolutely agree. It was an absolute farce that this happened. I was almost crushed trying to look for my number. The traffic was unbelievable so even having left 70 mins before hand from Roebuck Road, I was still only just on time. Add another 10 mins being crushed before I got inside.
    It's unbelievable they didn't have more sheets posted up.
    They also should have posted them up on SIS. Surely it's not that hard.
    It's absolutely UCD's fault here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I would have paid to watch.

Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The only problem with putting them on SIS is that they change for each exam. Putting all your numbers there makes it more likely that someone will try to go to his seat for a different exam where there;s someone else and things get confusing.

I found that the system worked quite well when I was there for a 6 o clock exam, but it's possible that it was less busy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I heard a few individuals didn't get to start until well into half past due to the chaos.

It looks like UCD is having a bad year...

Also, 70 mins from roebuck road, I'm so glad my exams will be on in UCD, only 15 walk from my house (also roebuck road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Pythia wrote:
    The traffic was unbelievable so even having left 70 mins before hand from Roebuck Road, I was still only just on time.

Mein gott, what time was this at?? I had an exam at 3, left an hour before (also Roebuck Road) and got there in around 15 mins :confused:

People ripping up seating charts...Nice

Edit: Ah morning, I see now ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

The whole scene was far from hilarious.

The planning of the new system was woefully inadequate, at least for the first morning. First of all hundred congregated outside the front of the RDS, logically assuming to get into the main hall you would go in the front door. No signs were there to suggest otherwise, and when word finally did come, they all amassed in the Shelbourne hall to create that scrum.

12 sheets all lumped together, which a couple of thosand have to consult around the same time? Madness. You can't blame the people for not forming orderly queues. You need coordination and the invigillators all kept away and left the students to it. The squash got even worse as panic set in closer to 9am. No-one bothered to reassure that the exam was going to be late.

Now for some students coming in to do finals, some shaky to being with, it was a total farce. I know one girl who was close to tears, others couldn't settle until well into the exam.

At least they've kinda sorted it out with extra copies dotted around the place, but it's still not ideal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

It was pretty funny from the other side of the fence too...

*Passive panickedly studies at 9:10, figuring that having things in his head is more important than punctuality. Glances at fence and remembers the one last year blowing over cos of the wind, wondering if it would hurt somebody if it fell... Looks back at notes. Loud noise. Looks up. 5 or 6 sections of fence collapse to reveal 200ish students pressed up against what used to be a fence...*

The rest is covered from the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 queen_kala

if its like that tomorrow morning i sware i will kill someone. this is my final year in college and i have been living in the library for 2 months now, im not having all that ****ed up because of that. if im not sitting in my seat by 8.50 i think i may die...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

queen_kala wrote:
    if its like that tomorrow morning i sware i will kill someone. this is my final year in college and i have been living in the library for 2 months now, im not having all that ****ed up because of that. if im not sitting in my seat by 8.50 i think i may die...

Same sort of situation but tbh I've always preferred to stroll in 5 minutes or so late and avoid all the commotion and stress that goes on before hand, it's bad enough that we have to trek out to the rds but that sort of anarchy I can do without.

Advertisement