Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam seating number disaster in RDS this morning?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Wasn't there 2 boards last year? Meh.

They were also a lot stricter last year. Last year they had the rule that you can't leave within the first 30 minutes and the last 10 and during both exams people were coming and going at all times

Wasn't bad at 3 either, and I got to see Raphael* at the 6 o clock one

*No stir-fry tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I think its one thing to have the minions of Hugh Brady to screw up, we've come to expect it at this stage. Its another to have a few selfish baxtards try and , make the lives and the exams of other students a misery because "its total laugh roysh?"

Wouldn't mind but one poor girl tried lookin at one of the sheets and the guy who wasn't even looking at it wouldn't let go. Prat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

neilled wrote:
    I think its one thing to have the minions of Hugh Brady to screw up, we've come to expect it at this stage. Its another to have a few selfish baxtards try and ,ale the lives and the exams of other students a misery because "its total laugh roysh?"

I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking the sheets down to show their friends, with a typical to hell with everyone else sort of attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Was talking to Barry Colfer(welfare officers for yous who dont know :)) and he said that a meeting was held this afternoon about it and it should all be fixed by tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Normally I'd laugh at things like these but i don't think its very funny tbh, thats a bit too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's absolutely ridiculous...
    They must have done at least something minor by the afternoon though, I had exams at 3 and 6 today and there wasn't so much of a mess then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This is pretty much down to people being stupid. FCUK, I HAVE TO GET MY SEAT NUMBER NOW, AHHHHHHHHHH, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!

Well I'll be trooping off to the stupid RDS shortly and I bloody hope there is no stress until I see so strange and horrible exam paper in front of me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

As far as I know, the seat number you get at the first exam remains with you for the remainder of the exams, so there is no need to look at the sheet each time. (However, I'm basing this on only two exams I've done, so the induction here is fairly weak!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Samos wrote:
    As far as I know, the seat number you get at the first exam remains with you for the remainder of the exams, so there is no need to look at the sheet each time. (However, I'm basing this on only two exams I've done, so the induction here is fairly weak!)
    NOOOOOOOOOOO
    They say at the start of every exam that the seat number is different everytime. I was 666 yesterday for my second exam :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

gubbie wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOO
    They say at the start of every exam that the seat number is different everytime. I was 666 yesterday for my second exam :confused:

That's because you're evil. :p

My revised conclusion is that your seat number may or may not stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

humbert wrote:
    Same sort of situation but tbh I've always preferred to stroll in 5 minutes or so late and avoid all the commotion and stress that goes on before hand
    I've always done the same. Though anything past half an hour and they start getting contrary.
    This is pretty much down to people being stupid. FCUK, I HAVE TO GET MY SEAT NUMBER NOW, AHHHHHHHHHH, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!
    Funny....aren't University students generally considered to be one of the more intelligent groups of society.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Samos wrote:
    That's because you're evil. :p

My revised conclusion is that your seat number may or may not stay the same.
    Its by course and in alphabetical order. There is a disclaimer that it will change with every exam. Anyone know yet why they brought in these set of changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Steph_ucd

it was absolutely crazy on tuesday morning, 1400 students in main hall with exams at 9am... most didnt arrive until 8:30....
    1400 people looking at 10 sheets of paper....
    crazy stuff

but it was a minor clitch in the ucdd system.... its seems to be working smoothly now :)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Wasn't great this morning. No disasters but there was only 2 lots of the sheets up (for the industries hall anyway). Last year the sheets were just for the first years + I remember there being like 4/5 sets + it worked like clockwork. Dunno why they have it so badly done this year.

I thought the signposting was a bit crap, not a big problem but a pretty half assed effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Em can someone please tell me where Anglsea is in the RDS? I checked the map on ucd.ie/exams but i'm none the wiser. I'm used to being in the massive hall across from the four seasons. Where am i now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Whats the name of the hall your supposed to be in?

Industry hall?

Em can someone please tell me where Anglsea is in the RDS? I checked the map on ucd.ie/exams but i'm none the wiser. I'm used to being in the massive hall across from the four seasons. Where am i now?

Anglsea Road is the road running past the rds. There is the main hall and the industries hall where exams are being held.

RDS is between Anglsea road, Simmons court road and Merrion road

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I miss having exams in the science block in Belfield tbh :( So much handier and so much less annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ah. I'm in Main Hall. Thanks!

Bah they're still making mistakes. One of my classmate's didn't have a seating number (+ we're not a complicated bunch as bar the electives lark everyone is doing the same ones), which wasn't great, but poo happens u no. Thing was the invigilator gave her the sheet, blah blah all grand, but kept disturbing her about it + we only had an hour for the exam so it was quite a disadvantage. You'd think with the amount of times stuff like this happens they'd have the cop on to sort out any minor things at the end after the main form is filled in...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was invigilating there on friday (excuse the bright coloured shirt, i was out getting hammered the nite before), and most of them there were from temp agencies and not UCD postgrads. The standard was pretty poor and most of them didnt seem to know what they were doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

dajaffa wrote:
    Bah they're still making mistakes. One of my classmate's didn't have a seating number (+ we're not a complicated bunch as bar the electives lark everyone is doing the same ones), which wasn't great, but poo happens u no. Thing was the invigilator gave her the sheet, blah blah all grand, but kept disturbing her about it + we only had an hour for the exam so it was quite a disadvantage. You'd think with the amount of times stuff like this happens they'd have the cop on to sort out any minor things at the end after the main form is filled in...
    There are several reasons for not being on the list.
    Most of these are due to students not having payed fees of cockups in their department.
    I know it may seem like disturbing the student but these things have to be sorted out before the first hour when people start leaving.
    They need to make sure the student is taking the correct exam. Often there are different exams with similar names and students just turn up and say they are doing an exam when in fact they are meant to be sittign a totally different exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

themole wrote:
    They need to make sure the student is taking the correct exam. Often there are different exams with similar names and students just turn up and say they are doing an exam when in fact they are meant to be sittign a totally different exam.
    Which, as it turned out, was actually what happened when I said this:
    So I take nobody's heard of people being omitted from the lists altogether, having to fill out dozens of pages of forms on the spot to even get a seat to sit an exam they've been registered for since September, and end up not having time to sit the paper itself at all?

Consider the case in one of those 3rd Commerce exams this morning.
    Trust me, considerable egg was left on face of the accused.

themole wrote:
    There are several reasons for not being on the list.
    Most of these are due to students not having payed fees of cockups in their department.
    I know it may seem like disturbing the student but these things have to be sorted out before the first hour when people start leaving.

I get what you're saying, but the on I referred was a weird one cause I@m in 2nd physio, we all do the same subjects etc, + they were down for every other exam grand. I mean we even noticed our seating numbers were different because there was someone left out (due to our incredible importance, we were in the first 600 seats for all our exams :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Haven't had any issues with the seat numbers meself, but what really grinds my gears is the lack of signposting for the RDS itself!!!

I'm from Dublin and I still haven't a clue which part of the RDS is which...imagine being a fresher straight out of school, struck down with semester 1 exams and trying to find your way to some random hall?! After first year semester 1 exams last year they sent round a survey asking how the exams could be improved...there were some options on it about more signposts but another year later, not much has changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

what annoyed me the most was there were two guys who brought notes into the exam with them (not in my year, 1st yr arts I suspect, idiots :p). One of them had a really really small bit of cop on and took down his formulae and then hid them by sitting on them. The guy behind him though left them on his desk. The invigilators didn't know what to do. I had a pretty stressfulk 2 hr exam and the invigilators were back and forth to him for 2 hours - really distracting. I probably should send an email to the exam co-ordinator as he is a pretty sound guy but I don't know if it's worth it. I think what should really happen is that guy should have been taken out of the exam hall and dealt with. Let him lose 20 or 30 mins of his exam time without the people around him having to suffer the same. UGH such a F***ING IDIOT!

There rant over!

Thank you.

Goodnight.

dajaffa wrote:
    I get what you're saying, but the on I referred was a weird one cause I@m in 2nd physio, we all do the same subjects etc, + they were down for every other exam grand. I mean we even noticed our seating numbers were different because there was someone left out (due to our incredible importance, we were in the first 600 seats for all our exams :p)

600 should read 60, that makes us very special indeed. And before sum1 says it the edit option isn't coming up 4 me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Editing is only allowed for a short period after the post.

Advertisement