Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam seating number disaster in RDS this morning?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

I had a similarly annoying experience with exam disorganisation. I was there an hour early as I'd heard about the riots to see exam numbers. But when I checked my name wasn't there and the only other person on my course wasn't on the list either. We were a bit miffed at that. We were assigned to the ominous sounding SECTION X! stuck up on a balcony a mile away from everyone. The invigilator was nice enough though.

I have been worried ever since, however, because the instructions on the front of the paper were to the effect that no answer book was neccessary since we'd be answering on the paper. I only noticed this as I was hastily handing it up and left it separate to the answer book. This means that the only thing linking me to the exam paper is a hastily scrawled seat number that was never properly assigned to me anyway. There was nowhere on the paper to fill in the details you'd normally put on the answer booklet.

It's pretty worrying but there's nothing I can do until the lecturer's back to work. I emailed him already and he said he'd check Thursday.

I just don't think it's acceptable that I should have these worries at all. I took three years of exams as an undergrad without a hitch. The old system worked. If it wasn't broken, why'd they fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

the only other person on my course wasn't on the list either...... This means that the only thing linking me to the exam paper is a hastily scrawled seat number that was never properly assigned to me anyway.
    hmmmm, i'm sure they'll manage to figure it out. Unless the other person had a hastily scrawled seat number as well, then it's gonna be total bedlam :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The old system worked. If it wasn't broken, why'd they fix it?

Ive no idea why they changed the exam seating thing but, just as a general point, "If it aint broke dont fix it" is a terrible motto by which to administer any organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I had a similarly annoying experience with exam disorganisation. I was there an hour early as I'd heard about the riots to see exam numbers. But when I checked my name wasn't there and the only other person on my course wasn't on the list either. We were a bit miffed at that. We were assigned to the ominous sounding SECTION X! stuck up on a balcony a mile away from everyone. The invigilator was nice enough though.

I have been worried ever since, however, because the instructions on the front of the paper were to the effect that no answer book was neccessary since we'd be answering on the paper. I only noticed this as I was hastily handing it up and left it separate to the answer book. This means that the only thing linking me to the exam paper is a hastily scrawled seat number that was never properly assigned to me anyway. There was nowhere on the paper to fill in the details you'd normally put on the answer booklet.

It's pretty worrying but there's nothing I can do until the lecturer's back to work. I emailed him already and he said he'd check Thursday.

I just don't think it's acceptable that I should have these worries at all. I took three years of exams as an undergrad without a hitch. The old system worked. If it wasn't broken, why'd they fix it?

None of us taking that exam had anywhere to put our details, they came around and told us to write our seat number on the paper, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

It's pretty worrying but there's nothing I can do until the lecturer's back to work.?
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    When you sat in the X section you probably filled out a sheet with all your details. This is used to make a mark sheet with your student number and exam number (X1, or whatever). This is included with your exam script in the enevlope sent to the lecturer. So they will know who you are. Also your details are entered into the "marks" system, so there will be a place for the lecturer to enter your marks into the system.
    All of the other info usually entered on the front of an answer book is usually unnecessary. Most of it is used to ensure the answerbook gets into the correct envelope/box and gets sent to the lecturer. There is much less chance of a screw up in the X section as there are much less students.

• Advertisement
Advertisement