Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 12-12-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

k, so i ordered a christmas for her self off ebay. got a notice this morning from customs and excise saying they have a parcel and to forward my invoice for it to portlaoise.

present only cost me 70 euro on ebay, and i've never had anything stopped before. is this happening a lot now? will their red tape hold it off til after christmas? eek!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

They'll make you pay VAT before they hand it over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why are they looking for an invoice, so they can value the item? Can you make up an invoice at all and put a small value like $20 on it? I would have thought there would be a value written on the outside, there normally is. What courier was used, An Post or one of the other couriers? An Post normally pay the charges themselves and then collect from you when they deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

the corpo wrote:
    k, so i ordered a christmas for her self off ebay. got a notice this morning from customs and excise saying they have a parcel and to forward my invoice for it to portlaoise.

present only cost me 70 euro on ebay, and i've never had anything stopped before. is this happening a lot now? will their red tape hold it off til after christmas? eek!

Where did your package come from?
    Outside the EU?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no customs declaration on it maybe , what is it anyway ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

it's a diesel watch i bought from ebay, for 70 dollars.
    it's in an post in port laoise

i emailed them at 1.30, and amazingly got a really speedy reply saying they would get it released immediately, once i sent my paypal receipt.

i guess the package says deisel watch on it, but has a tiny declared value, and someone thought that can't be right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the corpo wrote:
    i emailed them at 1.30, and amazingly got a really speedy reply saying they would get it released immediately, once i sent my paypal receipt.

They have a special customs team in parcel central in portlaoise charging duty and vat , have about €30 cash when the watch arrives + €10 handling charge, cash will do.

tell us how much they want willya ??

as much as that on a product costing $70?? that's just banana's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Anytime I buy watches off eBay they always put the value as USD$29.99, something I've noticed a few retailers on ebay do. Can you email eBay to check what value they put on the outside?

in the end they just delivered it this morning, and asked for nothing at all in return. odd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

that is odd, might he get a bill down the road I wonder like fedex

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Anytime I buy watches off eBay they always put the value as USD$29.99, something I've noticed a few retailers on ebay do. Can you email eBay to check what value they put on the outside?

Only problem then is _if_ you need to claim on the parcel insurance you'll only get that quoted value.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

If you need to return the item, say for example this watch turned out to be missing a hand or something, do you get to claim back the customs?

I'll be returning a bike that I got charged E80 and I'm wondering if I've any come back on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

aodhu wrote:
    If you need to return the item, say for example this watch turned out to be missing a hand or something, do you get to claim back the customs?

I'll be returning a bike that I got charged E80 and I'm wondering if I've any come back on this?

No, you can't claim anything back. But, you won't get charged VAT when they ship back the repaired product.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

I recently bought a watch from Ebay, the seller declared it was a sample in the customs documents, no problems , delivered to my door by UPS . as regards the issue of putting a low value on the customs document and then having to claim from the insurance if the watch is faulty , that would be the sellers problem if it was them who put the lower value on the declaration, in that case you just open a dispute with the seller through PayPal , and either get a full refund , or replacement, oh and my watch was purchased from outside the EU

Advertisement